Thread: Additions to the Kenpo Library

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Additions to the Kenpo Library

Michael Miller's new book “Kenpo Perspective, The Diversity of American Kenpo,” is a well written collection of the opinions and thoughts of 15 experienced Kenpo teachers. I have enjoyed reading the book and it is a great source of education. It will be a great tool that can be used for years and I am appreciative of the fine work he did in putting this together for our community.
    There is another great work that is at the publisher as I write this and it is a book written by Ret. LAPD Captain Ron Sanchez named, “The Watchman.” Captain Sanchez has 31 years of experience as a police officer, nearly 40 years as a Kenpo Black Belt and is on the original Ed Parker Family Tree. He is a 6th degree Kenpo black belt.
    In our world, where terror in the new normal, this book is very timely and it offers solutions to life threatening situations. Kenpo is a problem solving art and this book teaches problem solving solutions such as pre assault, agonistic behaviors, plans to increase the survival of Active Shooters, fear management and addressing the adrenaline affect, cognition and many other plans to handle real life threatening situations.
    Ron Sanchez first came into our school over 40 years ago and has been in service to God, his family and friends, his community, etc. and now he has written this great book to expand his reach to help more people. As a LAPD officer the motto of his Department was, “To Protect and Serve”, and Ron continues to live that creed. Barbara White and I have been honored to write an endorsement on the back of the book along with Pastor Raul Ries, a very well known Christian leader and martial artist.

This would be a great book to read at any time, but the truth is it comes at a time where there is so much potential for danger it is a necessary educational tool that could save lives. We will have the book at our event in March but I believe it could be available even sooner.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bob White For This Useful Post:

Christopher Stewart (01-17-2016),jdinca (12-28-2015),KenpoMD (12-31-2015),KirkS (12-29-2015),nelson (12-31-2015),Randy Strausbaugh (12-31-2015)

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Additions to the Kenpo Library

I bought Mike Miller's book just a few days ago and I've almost finished reading it. It is really a great concept brought to life! I have had the opportunity to meet a few of the seniors in the book, but after reading the book I feel like I've spent hours talking to them. I feel like I have a better understanding of what Kenpo is and who Ed Parker was. I appreciate those who took all the time to answer the questions in the book in such detail so we can have a better sense of what Kenpo is and should be for ourselves, our students and the future generations.

Thank you Mr. White, and all the other contributors, for all you do for Kenpo and for giving this gift to us. Reading The Journey I felt like I had a better sense of Kenpo history and the personal stories of some of the key contributors. Reading Kenpo Perspectives I feel like I know the art, and the mind of its creator, Mr. Parker, so much better. I especially enjoyed Mr. Chuck Sullivan's insights into the system of Kenpo and its development. It's been nothing short of inspirational in terms of knowing where my Kenpo should be going and what I should be emphasizing in teaching and passing the art on!
    Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
    -
    Ludwig van Beethoven

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KenpoMD For This Useful Post:

Bob White (01-01-2016),KirkS (12-31-2015),nelson (12-31-2015)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I am definitely going to order Michael Miller's book now.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Dragon For This Useful Post:

KirkS (01-17-2016)

Christopher Stewart is offline Always Learning!
    Thanks

I also picked up Mr. Millers book this week and am still working through it. I am enjoying the variety of opinions and especially hearing from one of the "unknowns" in Kenpo Pat Salantri. Now that I know about Capt. Sanchez's book I will definitely be picking one up!
    Chris Stewart
    Head Instructor - Trinity Karate for Christ
    Board Member - Karate for Christ International
    Director - Kenpo Ohana Seminar
    Director - Christian Kenpo Fellowship

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christopher Stewart For This Useful Post:

KenpoMD (01-17-2016),KirkS (01-17-2016)

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Stewart View Post
    I also picked up Mr. Millers book this week and am still working through it. I am enjoying the variety of opinions and especially hearing from one of the "unknowns" in Kenpo Pat Salantri. Now that I know about Capt. Sanchez's book I will definitely be picking one up!
    I just hope that Capt. Sanchez's book is out soon and available in ebook format (hint, hint)
    Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
    -
    Ludwig van Beethoven

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I am reading Michael Miller's book now. It's great! Giving many advanced Kenpoists' perspectives on a number of questions that I have been thinking about for quite some time. And yes, Christopher, I also find Pat Salantri's views particularly noteworthy.

I am going to start threads on some of these questions. Stay tuned.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Has anyone picked up this book?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 657 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crouching Tiger View Post
    Has anyone picked up this book?
    I have not. It appears to be, mostly, a reprinting and redressing of his other forms books; which I already own.

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by michaeledward View Post
    I have not. It appears to be, mostly, a reprinting and redressing of his other forms books; which I already own.
    It is a compilation of the prior forms books. I had some, but not all, of the prior ones in hard copy, so I got this one in ebook format to have on hand for reference. Definitely worth getting, in my opinion, if you don't already own the earlier books.
    -
    Ludwig van Beethoven

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links