Thread: three knife defenses to consider

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default three knife defenses to consider

This article I wrote will appear in magazine, Kung Fu tai chi. I studied many types or ways of blocking and settled on these three. How would you hold your arms to defend against a knife? It's difficult to answer because a simple answer won't do.
    Sifu

2. The Following User Says Thank You to aikikenjitsu For This Useful Post:

nelson (11-09-2015)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: three knife defenses to consider

What article? There doesn't appear to be a link to it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo_Paladin View Post

Awwww.. I was waiting to see how long it took him to notice.....

Bunbun
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MrBunny For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (11-09-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    The first thing I was taught regarding knives was to expect to see blood namely your own ! MaY folks find out they are facing a knife when they are first stabbed.

first technique is the

Wearing chain mail Hauberk technique....

the 4in 1 pattern and the 6 in 1 advanced technique.

finally the master riveted mail vs butted mail technique.

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrBunny For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (11-09-2015),nelson (11-09-2015)

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

It's finally coming out this month or Feb. It will be in magazine copy only.
    That said, we practice many of our own defenses, plus other arts, if I think it would add something to our art. As for myself, if forced to face a knife attacker, I would probably use what I call "the basic block."
    In a right fighting stance, my right arm would be down and my left arm would be bent and my covering half my face. The principle is your lower arm protects your body and your upper arm protects your neck and face. There's more to it, but that's the basic idea.
    Sifu

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aikikenjitsu View Post
    That said, we practice many of our own defenses, plus other arts,.........

......There's more to it, but that's the basic idea.
    Sifu
    The problem here is the whole "there's more to it..." statement.

Knife defense, as a written article, has less to do with suggested stance or hand position than it does with focus on concepts. Because of the multitude of possible knife attacks, angles, and scenarios, an article that covers all of the potential response or even beginning footwork would become a novelette.

I would have to say that if I were to respond to such a question of how to handle a knife wielding attacker. I would discuss the concepts of spacial awareness (to avoid limiting my escape paths (walls, fences, cars, more people..etc) Ideas of improvised armor, (jacket wrapping arms, bags as shields, coats as "cape shields" [common traditional fencing defense]) I joked about chain-mail but like most of my jests I was serious to a point. Lastly, ideas such as getting off the line while attacking/destroying the attacker to disarm, and finally escape.

Just a couple of coppers.

The Bunny

-JTHM

Thanks
    Thanked 1,792 Times in 1,309 Posts

When a man claims to be a knife fighter ask to see his scars. If he's got them he may be legit.
    It only takes three knife encounters to be considered an expert, and if you were the only one with a knife every time, well...
    Also Mastering Tsing Tao.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,924 Times in 2,211 Posts

As someone who's actually been attacked with a knife on more than one occasion ( and has the scars to prove it) , the idea of taking up a knife-fighting stance and worrying about where each arm is positioned is a little bit precious.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkC For This Useful Post:

KirkS (01-27-2016)

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aikikenjitsu View Post
    That said, we practice many of our own defenses, plus other arts, if I think it would add something to our art. As for myself, if forced to face a knife attacker, I would probably use what I call "the basic block."
    In a right fighting stance, my right arm would be down and my left arm would be bent and my covering half my face. The principle is your lower arm protects your body and your upper arm protects your neck and face. There's more to it, but that's the basic idea.
    Sifu
    So where do I get my autographed copy?
    Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
    -
    Ludwig van Beethoven

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo_Paladin View Post
    THREE KNIFE DEFENSES TO CONSIDER
    These are three knife defenses where you are caught unaware, with hands down by your sides.
    If they are new to your style and you find them useful, then add them to you arsenal.
    These techniques are done from a relaxed standing position, which most knife attackers would take as an opportunity to give a straight jab.
    Two techniques have a somewhat normal standing position, with one arm hanging by your side. The third is the “X” block, which is an automatic response, which makes for a good defensive block. These techniques enable you to grab quickly his arm with both hands, which is a necessary plus.
    The first defense would be for a straight jab to your body, targeting from your lower abdomen to your forehead. Once described, you will probably be able to see how this could also work on a roundhouse stab attempt.
    There are defense techniques that use your hand (hands) to catch, or block the knife. Using a small area, such as your hand requires much concentrated practice to defend yourself effectively. These techniques use the forearms for blocking.
    The ability to control his arm for precious seconds will open all kinds of possibilities.
    Technique three shows what you could do if you're in close and how a joint lock might be useful.
    Technique One: Stand with left foot back and your right foot forward. Your right arm down, with the palm giving a downward patting motion, as you say, “Take it easy, buddy.” In reality, you have set yourself up to execute an inward downward block. At the same time, you have the palm of your left hand on your chest as if in fear. Keep your palm towards you. This will keep your vulnerable part of your arm safe and your less vulnerable boney side towards him.
    When you have no choice, you have to entice him into a narrow area of attack, to create an opportunity for you. You use your so called relaxed arm, to entice him to give a straight jab. As the right knife thrust comes in, you pivot on the ball of your right foot, counter clockwise, as your left forearm goes up and out to protect your face and throat, as your right arm swings out to protect the rest of your body. At the same time, you left foot slides back around in a half circle, moving your vertical middle line body targets away from the blade.

Your left hand grabs his right wrist as your right hand grabs his upper arm; give a front upward snap kick to the groin. You might slide your left foot forward in decrease the distance from your target, when kicking. The kick disturbs his strength, which gives you time to “snake” your left arm around his right arm clockwise, at the same time step into him with your left leg, moving your body away from his knife. Lock his elbow, with your right hand assisting your left. The boney edge of your left forearm, thumb down, presses down, one inch from his elbow joint.
    Left knee strikes his thigh nerve (half way down and in middle of thigh), dropping him to his knees. It doesn't make any difference how tall or muscular he is, if you strike correctly, he will go down to his knees. He's holding a dangerous weapon, so the targets would be the throat, nose or eyes. In this case, we strike the throat with a reverse sword hand.
    (A-1) (A-2) (A-3) (A-4)

Technique Two: We will use the clock system here. Defender is at the middle of the clock and attacker is at 12:00. This is for the overhead or icepick knife attack. Most people without any training would perform the “X” block automatically. As the knife comes down, you would raise your arms and cross them in a “X” shape. If you step back, you allow him to have another try at you, so step forward with the left foot going to 11:00, but not too far. You want to catch his arm close to his wrist, but not on his wrist. If you're too close, he could stab your forearm with the point of his knife. Right arm is on top of your left. If he attacks with his left hand, your left hand would be on top of your right forearm.
    Move your head to your left side slightly. The moment you catch his arm in the X block, slide right hand down and grab his wrist. Twist his wrist clockwise, as you bring him down to your level. Left hand follows and helps to twist his arm into arm bar, when, if you're in control, slide (keep body contact ) your right hand so it is under his wrist, for better control. Drop your left armpit down on his elbow joint as soon as you can.
    Again, from this position, many options are open. In the obvious one, you would drop all your weight on his elbow joint for a clean break. This can be accomplished by raising his arm, as you bend and drop closet knee to the ground and drop your weight on his elbow joint. Continue till he drops onto his face. With his elbow locked, grab wrist and push arm forward as you step on his shoulder joint.
    (B-1) (B-2) (B-3)

Third technique: You're standing with feet together, hands by your sides, facing him. He gives a straight in jab to anywhere from lower abdomen to face. Again, place your left palm on your right upper chest and right arm by your side. From this position you are ready to block.
    An important part of blocking is to always try to add evasive movements to your blocking movements, which here, is moving your left foot back in a half circular motion.
    As you move your leg back, your left arm vertically protects the upper part of your body (throat and head) as your right arm extends downward (with a 5% bend in your elbow joint) and blocks with a downward inward block.
    Your left hand grabs the top of his wrist, as your right hand grabs his arm. Pull his arm with both hands as you give a right front upward kick to groin or a punch to the solar plexus. If he's much taller than you, this will at least bend his knees, bringing him for a second, down to you.
    Your right forearm strikes down on his inner elbow joint as you raise his forearm upward. Your right hand goes between his bent right arm and grabs your own left forearm. Don't release, but rotate your hand around his wrist as you apply joint lock. Your thumb will be pointed downward. You now have the figure eight lock. If he still clutches the knife, your left hand bends his hand down so the knife is horizontal. Quickly twist his hand forward, so his own blade cuts across his neck. After the first cut, the knife point will be against his throat, if he is still holding the knife.
    Press down with your left hand and the weight of your body, onto the back of his hand, creating a vertical wrist lock. This will drive him down to his knees. You could do this instead of the cuts, in hopes that the downward pressure will release his knife. Pull his arm out of the way as you deliver a right upward knee to the tip of the chin.
    The most valuable points to take away from this article are the body evasions and the two types of blocking. Likewise, there is the possibility of different types of retaliation that can be used with these blocks and evasion movements, these three are just a few of them.
    (A-2) (C-1) (C-2) (C-3)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to aikikenjitsu For This Useful Post:

nelson (07-14-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,077 Times in 1,445 Posts

When a man claims to be a knife fighter ask to see his scars. If he's got them he may be legit.
    I'm thinking its a short-lived career.
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

17. The Following User Says Thank You to flying crane For This Useful Post:

nelson (07-14-2016)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links