Thread: Martial Arts for the Mature Athlete

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Martial Arts for the Mature Athlete

I recently published a new book about martial arts for the "not-so-young-anymore". Now I know that does not apply to any one here, but just in case there is some interest it is titled "Martial Arts for the Mature Athlete: A Guide to Injury Prevention and Treatment". It is available on Amazon. I'm happy to post a link if that is allowed, but you can find it easily by searching there. This is from the cover:

Martial Arts for the Mature Athlete: A Guide to Injury Prevention and Treatment Paperback – August 18, 2014 by John T. Hippen M.D. (Author)

Did you always want to practice the martial arts, but didn't have a chance until you were an adult? If so, this book is for you! Martial arts schools are filled with young children, but martial arts training can be of great benefit to adults as well. Understanding how to approach your training can be the key to your success. In this book, Dr. John combines his years of experience in the martial arts with his extensive medical training. Included in this book are the seven keys for success, a guide to the recognition, prevention, and treatment of injuries, and advice on preparation for competition. Whether you are a young adult taking up mixed martial arts, a middle-aged parent taking karate with your children, or a senior citizen practicing Tai Chi in the park, this book can help you make your journey a success!

Dr. John lives and works in San Diego, California. He practices internal medicine for Sharp Rees-Stealy Medical Group and is a voluntary clinical instructor for the University of California, San Diego. He obtained his medical degree from Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. and complete his internship and residency at the Mayo Clinic. He was named to San Diego's Top Doctors list in 2013 and 2014. He is a 3rd degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and a blue belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. When he is not practicing medicine or the martial arts, he enjoys spending time with his family.

Any and all feedback (positive or negative) is welcome! I'm happy to answer any questions you may have...
    Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
    -
    Ludwig van Beethoven

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KenpoMD For This Useful Post:

bdparsons (09-23-2014),Dr. Dave in da house (09-23-2014),ElizDVM (09-28-2014),John Brewer (09-24-2014)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,939 Times in 5,595 Posts

Default Re: Martial Arts for the Mature Athlete

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoMD View Post
    I recently published a new book about martial arts for the "not-so-young-anymore". Now I know that does not apply to any one here, but just in case there is some interest it is titled "Martial Arts for the Mature Athlete: A Guide to Injury Prevention and Treatment". It is available on Amazon. I'm happy to post a link if that is allowed, but you can find it easily by searching there. This is from the cover:

Martial Arts for the Mature Athlete: A Guide to Injury Prevention and Treatment Paperback – August 18, 2014 by John T. Hippen M.D. (Author)

Did you always want to practice the martial arts, but didn't have a chance until you were an adult? If so, this book is for you! Martial arts schools are filled with young children, but martial arts training can be of great benefit to adults as well. Understanding how to approach your training can be the key to your success. In this book, Dr. John combines his years of experience in the martial arts with his extensive medical training. Included in this book are the seven keys for success, a guide to the recognition, prevention, and treatment of injuries, and advice on preparation for competition. Whether you are a young adult taking up mixed martial arts, a middle-aged parent taking karate with your children, or a senior citizen practicing Tai Chi in the park, this book can help you make your journey a success!

Dr. John lives and works in San Diego, California. He practices internal medicine for Sharp Rees-Stealy Medical Group and is a voluntary clinical instructor for the University of California, San Diego. He obtained his medical degree from Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. and complete his internship and residency at the Mayo Clinic. He was named to San Diego's Top Doctors list in 2013 and 2014. He is a 3rd degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and a blue belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. When he is not practicing medicine or the martial arts, he enjoys spending time with his family.

Any and all feedback (positive or negative) is welcome! I'm happy to answer any questions you may have...
    Guess he doesn't see his family much.

Great idea, and about time someone got around to writing such a book. Inasmuch you have your stamp on it, I'll definitely recommend it to all my "old" friends, and mature students. Thanks much Doc.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

Dgm1327 (09-23-2014),Dr. Dave in da house (09-23-2014),KenpoMD (09-23-2014)

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

[QUOTE=Doc;181354]Guess he doesn't see his family much.
    QUOTE]

You've got that right!!
    Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
    -
    Ludwig van Beethoven

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KenpoMD For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (09-23-2014)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

[QUOTE=KenpoMD;181356]
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Guess he doesn't see his family much.
    QUOTE]

You've got that right!!
    Just purchased the book. I'll give it a good read sir.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

www.MSUACF.com

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (09-23-2014),KenpoMD (09-23-2014)

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

[QUOTE=Doc;181359]
    Just purchased the book. I'll give it a good read sir.
    Thank you! I welcome any feedback you may have.
    -
    Ludwig van Beethoven

Thanks
    Thanked 4,372 Times in 1,426 Posts

"If you like pina colada's".... Sorry. had to, even as I zone in on rolling out a couple books of my own, and have to make the bio make sense.

I'm glad to see the title, and will pick one up. For all of my fascination with supple leopards, biomechanics, and plyometrics, my recent TFESI's show that I must change my approach, if I'm to enjoy any further longevity in this endeavor.

Thanks much!
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

KenpoMD (09-23-2014)

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave in da house View Post
    "If you like pina colada's".... Sorry. had to, even as I zone in on rolling out a couple books of my own, and have to make the bio make sense.

I'm glad to see the title, and will pick one up. For all of my fascination with supple leopards, biomechanics, and plyometrics, my recent TFESI's show that I must change my approach, if I'm to enjoy any further longevity in this endeavor.

Thanks much!
    With your background, I suspect that you already know most of what is in there. Still, sometimes having someone else spell it out for you can make all the difference. If you have any suggestions, I'm happy to hear them. Years from now there might be a second edition or another project that I can roll some good info into.

John
    -
    Ludwig van Beethoven

13. The Following User Says Thank You to KenpoMD For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (09-24-2014)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

With your background, I suspect that you already know most of what is in there. Still, sometimes having someone else spell it out for you can make all the difference. If you have any suggestions, I'm happy to hear them. Years from now there might be a second edition or another project that I can roll some good info into.

John
    "He don't listen." I tell him and it goes in one ear out the other. You know, things like letting white belts test blocks on your own shoulders. Sigh!

www.MSUACF.com

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (09-24-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,372 Times in 1,426 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    "He don't listen." I tell him and it goes in one ear out the other. You know, things like letting white belts test blocks on your own shoulders. Sigh!
    I resemble that remark.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links