Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Kenpo Tomahawk

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Exclamation Kenpo Tomahawk

I'm a long time lurker of this forum, but I thought this relevant news to share. There will be a book coming out from Paladin Press (Paladin-Press.com) entitled Combat Applications of the Tactical Tomahawk (CATT) in "March 2014." It is a work on the unique and unorthodox fighting techniques with the modern tomahawk.

Relevant here because it is essentially Kenpo (EPAK) based. Necessarily generalized for layman consumption, but no doubt familiar in some ways to many people here.

If anyone chooses to take it up when it's out, good training to you, and I hope it's worthwhile.
    Berserker101 likes this.

Thanks

Default Re: Kenpo Tomahawk

I currently have a tomahawk next to my bed, I got it with some other stuff at Christmas time I ordered from Cold Steel.
    I really enjoy practicing with my throwing knives outdoors, and can't wait until spring to start throwing the tomahawk also.
    Kenpo, moving in open piecewise Bézier curves since 2011

Trying hard not to lapse into speaking kenponics

Been doing computers since 1982, on forums, chats and all for nearly 3 decades. Only ever blocked one person.

Thanks

Oh, and for sharpening knives, kitchen knives, throwing knives, throwing stars, hatchet, axe, tomahawk, tactical shovel, etc.

The work sharp is awesome. Instead of a bevel edge you get a convex grind. Prices on Amazon are cheaper than listed on their webpage.

Work-Sharp.jpg

Been doing computers since 1982, on forums, chats and all for nearly 3 decades. Only ever blocked one person.

Thanks

I am curious what makes you so sure that the book on the tactical tomahawk will be Kenpo (EPAK) based?

Just my two cents here but what makes a Tomahawk useful in a war zone is that it is a multi-purpose tool/weapon. It can be used for cars, doors, windows, crates and other harder to get into places where using a knife would not always work, it also has a psychological effect on people seeing it on your person, they tend to think twice, knives are more common so people become used to them. It is not a bad weapon to use in close for someone who has trained with it but it is more difficult to use than a knife so your going to have to practice with it and most warriors in the wars of today do not practice close combat with them (not enough time), I see Soldiers train throwing them but always on stationary targets : / I am guilty of throwing a few myself for fun but I wouldn't feel comfortable fighting in-close with it in the age of firearms and explosives.
    ~Sami Ibrahim

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kenposoldier01 View Post
    I am curious what makes you so sure that the book on the tactical tomahawk will be Kenpo (EPAK) based?

Just my two cents here but what makes a Tomahawk useful in a war zone is that it is a multi-purpose tool/weapon. It can be used for cars, doors, windows, crates and other harder to get into places where using a knife would not always work, it also has a psychological effect on people seeing it on your person, they tend to think twice, knives are more common so people become used to them. It is not a bad weapon to use in close for someone who has trained with it but it is more difficult to use than a knife so your going to have to practice with it and most warriors in the wars of today do not practice close combat with them (not enough time), I see Soldiers train throwing them but always on stationary targets : / I am guilty of throwing a few myself for fun but I wouldn't feel comfortable fighting in-close with it in the age of firearms and explosives.
    Its a stick with a blade on it, Why wouldn't that be a Kenpo weapon. Hold it closer to the blade if you think it is slowing you down.
    Also Mastering Tsing Tao.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoChanger View Post
    Its a stick with a blade on it, Why wouldn't that be a Kenpo weapon. Hold it closer to the blade if you think it is slowing you down.
    Holding it closer to the blade will lose the few advantages that it gives you, also I don't have an issue with slowing but if you find that it slows you down instead of holding it close to the blade try to improve your timing with it so that the attacker's actions aid in accelerating your weapon to the target that is where I was going with the people who want to use it for close combat need to practice with it, to get the range and timing down, I don't personally use it for close combat and never have that has more to do with my mission set and simply not needing it, I have much lighter tools that give me the same advantages without the draw backs.

The question is not if the Tomahawk is a Kenpo weapon (whatever that is) the question is why does he say it is EPAK based ie is the author a practitioner of EPAK are the techniques based on EPAK patterns are they using some aspect of the system in the book? that kind of thing.
    ~Sami Ibrahim

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kenposoldier01 For This Useful Post:

Doc (01-21-2014)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

"I am curious what makes you so sure that the book on the tactical tomahawk will be Kenpo (EPAK) based?"

I authored it. So far, everything else brought up here is addressed in the book.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DragonsTail For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (03-17-2015)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

So, I've got to ask, what makes a tomahawk "tactical"?

Cheers.
    "Exercise is bunk. If you're healthy, you don't need it. If you're sick, you shouldn't do it." - Sam Clemens

"Ok...so do that again. But this time don't suck". - An admired kenpo teacher

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Enginerd For This Useful Post:

Doc (01-21-2014)

Thanks

Hopefully it's better than that Kenpo Nunchuk someone was trying to peddle here a few years ago.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to J-squared For This Useful Post:

LuckyKBoxer (01-21-2014)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

"So, I've got to ask, what makes a tomahawk "tactical"?"

That's a good question. It's one I'd ask, and I'll have to ask you to trust me in that I address that specifically in the book. The typical usage of the term is a pet peeve of mine.

As for whether the book will be any good, I'll have to leave that to you guys.

Bob Hubbard is offline Retired

Thanks
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,157 Posts

Just because I have to chime in. Posts that announce a new product are allowable here, but sales pushes fall under our "you need to pay to advertise" policies. http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/showt...e-Posting-Here!

You'll get better mileage (and stay within the allowed rules) if rather than saying basically "it's in the book" you gave more information, shared an short excerpt that addresses some questions, etc.

I checked Amazon and didn't see it listed there yet. Post the ISBN# if you can to help people track it down.

Good luck!
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Hubbard For This Useful Post:

bdparsons (01-21-2014),jdinca (01-21-2014)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I'll watch what I say. It can't be found yet, and the publisher has yet to announce it. It is in editing, with permission to be made public knowledge with a "March 2014" release date. Further info will be forthcoming. And I think that's all I can say here without buying advertising space. Thank you all

18. The Following User Says Thank You to DragonsTail For This Useful Post:

DavidCC (01-21-2014)

Thanks

Or perhaps instead of simply spamming the forum here, making a not so good first impression, you could participate in other non-tomahawk discussions. Just a thought.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to J-squared For This Useful Post:

jdinca (01-21-2014)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Apparently I have strayed. Please, by all means, have my misplaced, discorteous spam of a thread deleted. My sincere apologies.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 603 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsTail View Post
    Apparently I have strayed. Please, by all means, have my misplaced, discorteous spam of a thread deleted. My sincere apologies.
    What he said!
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

Thanks
    Thanked 3,584 Times in 2,190 Posts

You're quite welcome here. Based on your website, I think there could be some interesting discussion. As for locking/deleting threads, it's something we really try and avoid.
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I appreciate you extending that courtesy to me, but insular unpredictability is exactly why I'm not an active forum participant these days. Now this thread was my mistake. It was unwelcome and misplaced. I see no reason fot it not to be deleted.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,130 Times in 1,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by J-squared View Post
    Hopefully it's better than that Kenpo Nunchuk someone was trying to peddle here a few years ago.
    oh man, I had forgotten about that garbage until you just mentioned it.

Thanks

"I am curious what makes you so sure that the book on the tactical tomahawk will be Kenpo (EPAK) based?"

I authored it. So far, everything else brought up here is addressed in the book.
    I thought so either you authored it or you knew the author and he was a Kenpo Practitioner. In any case thank you for the reply didn't mean to put you on the mods radar. I welcome any recommendations of worth while Kenpo books one of my goals before I die is to author my own book on the Martial Arts, I've been working on it for years but I feel like I have barely scratched the surface.
    ~Sami Ibrahim

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenposoldier01 View Post
    I thought so either you authored it or you knew the author and he was a Kenpo Practitioner. In any case thank you for the reply didn't mean to put you on the mods radar. I welcome any recommendations of worth while Kenpo books one of my goals before I die is to author my own book on the Martial Arts, I've been working on it for years but I feel like I have barely scratched the surface.
    I wish you luck with that, I'm always looking for a good one. One of the wonderful things about the martial arts is that no matter how much you learn, you should always have that feeling.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to DragonsTail For This Useful Post:

Kenposoldier01 (01-24-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links