Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Kenpo Tomahawk

Thanks

Default Re: Kenpo Tomahawk

I was actually hoping for a fun discussion on the tomahawk. I camp a lot, and being a long time martial artist I often think about how most implements can be used as a weapon if necessary. From hiking poles to a fork to the camp axe.

Being a Scout leader, and a camper, I have different sizes of axe's, one handed, two handed, and as I recently mentioned, bought a "tomahawk" for fun to practice throwing. I wouldn't mind hearing some opinions on how someone would use it for self defense.

I don't know that I'd go so far as to call my axes a "kenpo weapon", but rather just a tool I can use as a weapon, using movements I already know, if need be.

I practice a lot of stick work, and even though Arnis, Kali and Escrima complement Kenpo as an art pretty well, I don't pick up my rattan sticks and call them "kenpo weapons" or try and just incorporate them into existing techniques.

Me, with a tomahawk, I might try a leg shot, maybe even the foot, which is under most defenses, then just try and escape.
    Kenpo, moving in open piecewise Bézier curves since 2011

Trying hard not to lapse into speaking kenponics

Been doing computers since 1982, on forums, chats and all for nearly 3 decades. Only ever blocked one person.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J-squared For This Useful Post:

jdinca (01-24-2014),KenpoGhost (01-24-2014)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Semantics and perspective. It could be said that no Art can have a monopoly on any weapon. But whether you've studied the use of a given weapon or not, if for example, you are a Kenpo practitioner, and you pick up a weapon, then Kenpo must form the basis of how you use it. You have to make it your own. There is a difference between calling something a Kenpo weapon, and using a weapon with Kenpo. This book, for example, is not a Kenpo book. Kenpo is my foundation, and therefore I can say that what I show is Kenpo based. I would love to write a book like this specifically for Kenpoists, but I don't think it would get published because it would only cater to a fraction of the market. Maybe someday.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,129 Times in 1,480 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by J-squared View Post
    I was actually hoping for a fun discussion on the tomahawk. I camp a lot, and being a long time martial artist I often think about how most implements can be used as a weapon if necessary. From hiking poles to a fork to the camp axe.

Being a Scout leader, and a camper, I have different sizes of axe's, one handed, two handed, and as I recently mentioned, bought a "tomahawk" for fun to practice throwing. I wouldn't mind hearing some opinions on how someone would use it for self defense.
    I asked my Sifu if he had training in the double hand-axes, as I know it's something that is found in a number of the Chinese systems. He said no, but pointed out that it would be pretty easy and straight forward to adopt our double butterfly swords to the double axes. I've got a couple of light throwing tomahawks and I started to experiment with that idea. It works wonderfully. Our butterfly sword material comes from Choy Lay Fut, adopted to be consistent with the principles of our system. The double tomahawks work perfectly with that same material. Working the basics with the tomahawks works very well, and adapting the form is a near perfect fit, with just a couple of adjustments.

Once you really understand the principles, it's easy to see how it can be adapted with just about any weapon, and then you can improvise with just about anything as a weapon.
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flying crane For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (03-17-2015),DragonsTail (01-25-2014),nelson (01-25-2014)

Thanks

Although many Kali and Escrima styles have many of the same strikes with sticks, or same angles, some of the styles number the strikes differently.

I did take the tomahawk and do many of the Kali strikes, it's very similar with obviously a bit less speed. Had a lot of fun. Naturally, snapping backhand strikes were harder. Good wrist strength builder though.

I could envision using one stick and one tomahawk in place of two sticks. Or in my case, I have a maglight 4 c-cell light that I often took running with me at night. I liked it because it was faster to swing than the d-cell versions. Use that with the tomahawk for some fun.

Been doing computers since 1982, on forums, chats and all for nearly 3 decades. Only ever blocked one person.

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO6tYl4eAaU
    An example of some kali guys exploring tomahawk application in a very "technique" oriented approach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dlbC5b5JB4
    This is Doug Marcaida, another kali player doing the same but with a smaller 'hawk, he has ridiculously good flow. My understanding is he had input into the development of the RMJ "kalihawk."

Cold Steel came out with a cheap trainer for their tac hawk last year and my group used them for several days during our summer camp this year. Fun, lots of fun. Hawks should be first and foremost used like a bladed/impact weapon, and coming from a weapon art like kali it is pretty easy to find those applications. The fun part is all the "what if" scenarios that occur that wind up utilizing the hooking characteristics of the hawk and if available the hammer or spike poll. For us, most of those "what ifs" came when someone crashed within the striking distance of the hawk, and what we could then do about it. Anyway, lots of fun and there is a certain primal feel to a hawk (or axe) that you don't get with a stick or sword. It may not be the most practical thing in the world, but it does make for understanding how to translate from unarmed to weapon or from one weapon to another.

It also resulted in various tomahawks been given throughout the group for Christmas, the week after Christmas was like 'hawk show-and-tell.
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blindside For This Useful Post:

J-squared (01-26-2014),jdinca (01-26-2014)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

As someone who has actually used a hawk in anger (won't go into details but Sami knows what I do), you have a hammer, hook, knife and stick all in one. It's extremely good at blocking and hooking (especially behind the leg for takedowns). Most AK tech patterns can be adapted to this and any weapon. Also, it comes real handy when you get stuck in soft desert sand and need some branches for traction.
    Yours in the Spirit of the Warrior-Scholar,

Carlos M. Roman
    S.I. American Kenpo
    Buckeye, AZ

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhiteDragon_48 For This Useful Post:

DavidCC (01-27-2014),DragonsTail (01-26-2014),Kenposoldier01 (01-26-2014)

Thanks

Thanks for the videos Blindside. I like the first one a bit more, but great stuff. Really very similar to the unarmed and armed kali / panantukan I practice some now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links