Default Juan Serrano's new Casa de Kenpo Studio

Casa de Kenpo Martial Arts System
    Juan Serrano, Senior Professor, 7th Degree Black Belt

1110 Sonora Ave. Suite 104
    Glendale, CA 91201
    Studio: 818-745-8261
    Cell: 626-664-5074
    dockenpo@gmail.com

Check out Juan and Cliff Seminerio in their many videos on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/casadekenpo

2. The Following User Says Thank You to carmstrong1959 For This Useful Post:

Kenposoldier01 (11-24-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 664 Posts

Default Re: Juan Serrano's new Casa de Kenpo Studio

Welcome to KenpoTalk!
    "You can't account for everything, but you should account for the reasonably probable. Unfortunately for the unknowledgeable, those never ending 'what if's' will choke your thought process to death with useless information." - Doc

"To hold and fill to overflowing is not as good as to stop in time. Sharpen a knife-edge to its very sharpest, and the edge will not last long." Ė Loa Tzu

www.cromwellmartialarts.com
    www.BrianAselton.org
    www.hundredclubofct.org

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Thanks. Looks like a very groovy place.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,699 Times in 966 Posts

Welcome to KT. Hope you'll stick around.
    Joel Ellis
    LaGrange, GA

"This whole thing is about balance and timing." -- Damon Excell

If you do not consciously form good habits, you will unconsciously form bad ones.

If it is important, do it every day. If it is not important, donít do it at all. (Dan Gableís coaching philosophy)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

welcome to KT Juan, and congrats on the first place at Internationals-

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

This is actually not Juan, but one of his students. Juan is slowly (finally) making his way onto the internets...I'm sure we'll see him soon.

Cliff
    Cliff Seminerio
    Casa De Kenpo
    www.casadekenpo.com

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff For This Useful Post:

Kenposoldier01 (11-24-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,131 Times in 850 Posts

Juan and Cliff do an excellent job listing the 72 self-defense techniques,the sets and forms,etc. that comprise most of the spine of Kenpo.Idk if they put down the extensions at brown and black belt,but their youtube resource is a an invaluable addition to the quality dispensation of our beloved Kenpo. I too am putting up my variants of the 72 self-defense sequences from yellow on up in Kenpo,but my variants are steeped in performance oriented sciences and execution.I take many of the classic traditional techniques and show how to use them against more "realistic" resistance--armed,unarmed,multifight,escape,multifight armed,standing,seated,clinch,ground,and variants thereof--and I strongly suggest that we make these scenarios the basis with which we test our technique and add these refinements that each of us as instructors come up with (which are much more street ready and realistic) to the basic way in which we teach our students.I mean no disrespect to anyone's methodology,I'm merely making a suggestion in the spirit of wishing to exchange info and learn from one another.Thank you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,699 Times in 966 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ATACX GYM View Post
    Juan and Cliff do an excellent job listing the 72 self-defense techniques,the sets and forms,etc. that comprise most of the spine of Kenpo.Idk if they put down the extensions at brown and black belt,but their youtube resource is a an invaluable addition to the quality dispensation of our beloved Kenpo. I too am putting up my variants of the 72 self-defense sequences from yellow on up in Kenpo,but my variants are steeped in performance oriented sciences and execution.I take many of the classic traditional techniques and show how to use them against more "realistic" resistance--armed,unarmed,multifight,escape,multifight armed,standing,seated,clinch,ground,and variants thereof--and I strongly suggest that we make these scenarios the basis with which we test our technique and add these refinements that each of us as instructors come up with (which are much more street ready and realistic) to the basic way in which we teach our students.I mean no disrespect to anyone's methodology,I'm merely making a suggestion in the spirit of wishing to exchange info and learn from one another.Thank you.
    If you hang around here for awhile, you may find you are not the first to think of this. Some of us approach it differently, but no one I know who is serious about his/her training fails to work the material against realistic pressure. I'm one of the ones who believes it is not necessary to "update" the "traditional techniques" (How long did it take for Mr. Parker's curriculum to become traditional?). I think the information and opportunity to do what you describe is already in the system, if you know where to look for it and how to apply it.
    Joel Ellis
    LaGrange, GA

"This whole thing is about balance and timing." -- Damon Excell

If you do not consciously form good habits, you will unconsciously form bad ones.

If it is important, do it every day. If it is not important, donít do it at all. (Dan Gableís coaching philosophy)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to J Ellis For This Useful Post:

MarkC (02-18-2011)

Thanks

Allow me to clarify my position then:

Not only do I agree that the CONCEPTS of constant testing and upgrading have been in Kenpo and other arts before I knew of them,I have CONCRETE EVIDENCE that these concepts were actually spelled out by SGM EP and people like the Tracys,Shijo Steve Muhammad and the founders of the BKF,etc. before I was BORN.In no way do I opine or wish to convey the idea that I somehow or other brought some great new unheard of idea to Kenpo as a whole.

What I am saying is: beyond a shadow of a doubt,the overwhelming majority of schools and Kenpo sensei are NOT following the concept imbedded in Kenpo of constant rigorous testing sparring and the upgrading of techniques that come as a result of said adherence to concept and practice.If that were the case? The entire arsenal of 72 self-defense sequences would be significantly more functional than it is now.Quite a few of the self-defense sequences that form the spine of Kenpo are nonfunctional NOT because the movement concepts are inapplicable but because the consistent willful refusal to apply ALIVE FUNCTIONAL TRAINING METHODS to Kenpo's concepts.We instructors as a whole have NOT been following the mandates of functionality within Kenpo.

In the spirit of openness and with an eye ear and mind toward enjoying vigorous intelligent discussion that doesn't devolve into distasteful bashing of dissenters but instead is laser beam focused on the mutually desired goal of doing whatever we should do to enjoy and spread our beloved combat capable Kenpo,I look forward to engaging any others who might wish to discuss my assertions.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,924 Times in 2,211 Posts

I agree with you. However, I will say that a major problem I see is people trying to "evolve" and change things without first having gotten basic things, "boring" things, like stances, footwork, body mechanics, etc. down pat.
    "To be, rather than to seem"

"Fix your rear foot ... What the hell is wrong with you?"

"...I already watched the videos, and quite frankly, they're bullsh*t."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    I agree with you. However, I will say that a major problem I see is people trying to "evolve" and change things without first having gotten basic things, "boring" things, like stances, footwork, body mechanics, etc. down pat.
    I very much agree with you regarding the absolutely crucial,critical,essential,impossible-to-overstate-how-vital-and-important-they-are-BASICS.I believe that much of my perspective and absolute insistence upon the BASICS can be better conveyed via video,so I urge you to please check out my youtube Channel.I have a deep insistence upon the basics,and I have even added other essential ideas that are merely an extension of "boring basics" that will save your life (like THE STANCE SET) and show "new" applications to these LIFE SAVING,KENPO EVOLVING BASICS.I have yet to put these Sets up on my Youtube Channel,but what I DO have up should more than suffice to put your mind at ease in this regard.Or at least I would hope it does so,while providing other fertile grounds for conversation.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

ATACX GYM

It all sounds interesting
    I will definately check out have you have posted in you tube

I also reference alot of the videos from casa de Kenpo because they are the closest to similarity as to what my teacher teaches

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carmstrong1959 View Post
    Casa de Kenpo Martial Arts System
    Juan Serrano, Senior Professor, 7th Degree Black Belt

1110 Sonora Ave. Suite 104
    Glendale, CA 91201
    Studio: 818-745-8261
    Cell: 626-664-5074
    dockenpo@gmail.com

Check out Juan and Cliff Seminerio in their many videos on YouTube:casadekenpo - YouTube
    I stopped by that location this last Saturday (11/24/2014) and there is no school there. Does anyone know where Juan Serrano is teaching now?

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Villasenor View Post
    I stopped by that location this last Saturday (11/24/2014) and there is no school there. Does anyone know where Juan Serrano is teaching now?
    Well, I tried finding the new school location and I managed to get ahold of Juan Serrano. It turns out he is not teaching at the moment. So that's that.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links