Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you heard about the kenpo Nunchuck?

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Have you heard about the Kenpo Nunchuck Form?

It's a great program to add to your school!
    http://mvkarate.com/kenponunchuck/
    Last edited by mvkarate; 09-20-2009 at 10:26 PM. Reason: more info

Thanks

Default Re: Have you heard about the kenpo Nunchuck?

Since childhood, I've always been fascinated with the nunchauku. Immediately after watching Bruce Lee in "Enter the Dragon", I took my mother's good broom, cut it into pieces and used duct-tape and twine to fashion my first pair.

Even today, I own several pair and my son has really taken a liking to them.

However, I have to routinely dash my son's fantasies of using them against any would-be intruder should one be stupid enough to come into our house. These are one of the most impractical weapons to use in a real, life-or-death situation. In my state, they are considered just as illegal as a 13" shotgun or fully automatic rifle. Even if used against someone with bad intentions, I would still get to share a jail cell with someone who I brandished "nunchucks" against. Just as quickly as if I'd shot them with a sawed-off 12 guage.

Novelty has it's rewards but, I don't tend to spend my precious time training with these any more than I do in attempts to acquire a fully automatic MP-5. Though, I'd be equally jazzed to own such a fine weapon... :-)

Perhaps there is another compelling reason to train with them that I am just not aware of...I'd certainly be willing to hear such arguments.
    ~Bill Richardson

Rudeness is the frustrated attempt of a small mind to communicate.

Forgive everyone everything

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toejoe2k For This Useful Post:

J Ellis (09-22-2009),localmiscreant (11-03-2012)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Well, they're really fun, and everyone that I teach them to, even though they know of the legal consequences, they really enjoy training with them. They provide a nice change of pace to training! And they compliment the Kenpo system really well.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,130 Times in 1,274 Posts

Any Demo, or example video out there?
    I am not about to invest in anything, from someone I have no first knowledge of their abilities.
    Not personal, but this post of yours on a couple forums now just rubs me the wrong way.....

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

The information on this video was created by me, but would not have been possible without the knowledge bestowed upon me by my instructor, Mr. Steven White, 8th degree Black Belt from Manchester, NH. The concepts and principles of American Kenpo Karate are evident in the form and were mainly inspired by the book: Ed Parker's Guide to the Nunchucku, by Mr. Ed Parker (Founder of American Kenpo Karate). The form fuses together the concepts of Short Form One with basic nunchuck movement, progressively building on its motion and ending with a preview of the more advanced figure eight. Of all the books I have read on the nunchuck, I believe Ed Parker's explains their use better than any. Since Mr. Parker's book came out in the mid 1970s, NO ONE has created a form to compliment the Kenpo system quite like this one. The video contains footage of the form in its entirety, as well as some demonstrations of the movements applied to a body. Use the accompanying booklet to help learn and teach the form. Between the two there is enough to keep even the most ambitious Kenpo student engaged for quite some time and hopefully looking forward to future levels to come. It is my recommendation that the practitioner start with a pair of foam nunchucks, then progress to a more authentic pair as confidence grows.
    - Mr. James Peacock, Director, Mont Vernon Karate Studio please visit:
    www.mvkarate.com/nunchuck for a video sample - Enjoy!

Thanks

Sorry, I didn't see any video sample on the web site.

So what's on the DVD? Just the kata? Individual basics of strikes and blocks with nunchaku? How to hit things for real with nunchaku?

It has always been my understanding that Mr. Parker didn't do much training with nunchaku. Maybe one of the old timers can correct me if I'm wrong there.

However, this begs the question, why is the kenpo "nunchuck" better than learning traditional Okinawan Kobudo of the nunchaku? Why is the video from a person who learned from a book written by a person that didn't invest much time and training into the weapon better than a video from a traditional Kobudo master?

I'm not intentionally trying to be difficult here, but that's a lot of money for what is billed as "short 1 with chucks"
    Kenpo, moving in open piecewise Bézier curves since 2011

Trying hard not to lapse into speaking kenponics

Been doing computers since 1982, on forums, chats and all for nearly 3 decades. Only ever blocked one person.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to J-squared For This Useful Post:

flying crane (09-22-2009)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Hello Sir,

I think it's better because you're actually doing kenpo with them, instead of someone else's art. The video contains a demo of the form, some of its' applications, and a preview to the 5 week curriculum that it can go with. It also comes with a booklet that describes in detail how to do the form, as well as illustrated terminology to make teaching it easier. it's a great program to add to your school! As far as cost goes, a $30. investment for what could potentially make a studio owner an extra $1000 - $3000 every time they offer the program doesn't seem too expensive. Thanks for your questions - Jim

Thanks
    Thanked 2,825 Times in 1,255 Posts

When it comes to "new things" most of us are from Missouri. That is, "show me". A short clip of what's on the dvd would go a long way in answering alot of questions that people have.

Is it just Short 1, with nunchucks? Or is this a more comprehensive program that teaches HOW to use the nunchucks as a self-defense weapon? Do you teach HOW to hit an object and control the rebound and set up for the next strike? Do you teach grappling techniques with them? In traditional usage, the nunchucks were not a long range weapon, they were mainly a short range grappling tool as well.
    "For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

Romans 13:4

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Hello Sir, I believe if you turn off your pop up blocker you'll be able to see the sample clips. The video is of the form, with some applications and bag work thrown in, and some demonstrations of some self-defense techniques as well. There is a more comprehensive curriculum that compliments the use of the form, along with 7 self defense techniques and 3 variations of each as well. The curriculum is based on a 5 week lesson plan, each class approx 1 hr long ( it's really up to the Instructor ). you are correct in that it ( the nunchaku ) is a close range weapon, and that is also evident in the video. What makes this video unique is that you're actually doing KENPO with the nunchaku, instead of someone else's stuff. it really compliments our art quite nicely. I really believe in the program and have taught it with much success at my Studio. respectfully, Jim

Thanks

I freaking hate Nunchuku....

.............................................allot

people should leave it for it's original use.... go flail some rice.

Mr.Bunny
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrBunny View Post

I freaking hate Nunchuku....

.............................................allot

people should leave it for it's original use.... go flail some rice.

Mr.Bunny
    But.... but.... they are cool. And Bruce Lee used them, so they are cooler. And like, it is really practical for a modern martial art like Kenpo to teach them because there are lots of everyday things that can be adapted to use just like a nunchaku, like, um, like, well.... nevermind, they are cool. Really.

As an aside, real grain flails are generally two handed, you'd starve to death trying to feed your family with the modern kobodu or kenpo nunchaku.
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside View Post
    But.... but.... they are cool. And Bruce Lee used them, so they are cooler. And like, it is really practical for a modern martial art like Kenpo to teach them because there are lots of everyday things that can be adapted to use just like a nunchaku, like, um, like, well.... nevermind, they are cool. Really..
    ....................................... no.

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

Thanks
    Thanked 3,113 Times in 1,468 Posts

I really know very little about the nunchucku, but like many people I thought they were pretty cool when I was a kid and I picked up a couple pair of real ones before the ownership laws got too strict. Never learned how to use them, tho and they've sat in my closet for decades.

I will say this much. I have a fair bit of experience with traditional Chinese weaponry, including staff, spear, dao (broadsword), jian (straight sword) and two-handed jian. I've by no means even come close to mastering any of them, but I can say that in the same breath as saying that I have a fair bit of experience with them. That's the thing about traditional weaponry: they take a lot of effort and a lot of dedicated training in order to really understand them and develop some serious skill with them. And that doesn't just mean playing with them by yourself in the back yard. They take a lot of work under the critical eye of a competent instructor, who can tweak what you are doing and make it right. Just because you THINK you are doing it right, doesn't mean you are.

I see a direct conflict between learning a traditional weapon well and correctly, and making a nominal investment with an eye out for a quick business return. Thirty dollars for a five-week course to learn the weapon, and then be ready to add it to the curriculum that you are teaching is, in my opinion, not gonna cut it. Do you want to practice and then teach QUALITY martial arts? Or are you simply looking for a quick business profit off the backs of the ignorant and uneducated?

The investment I've made in my own weapons training certainly goes far far beyond that, both in terms of finances as well as time invested, and I feel in no way prepared to teach any of my weaponry to someone else. I'm content to let Sifu do that, and I'll lend a hand on occasion.

I've spent money on many weapons, as well as built my own, in an attempt to understand the weapon and figure out the best configuration for a weapon for me. I've taken years of coursework in metalwork at the local community college, and purchased thousands of dollars of casting and metal fabricating equipment, to enable me to rebuild hilts and scabbards, IF I can locate a good quality blade. I did this because the quality of weaponry readily available to the public is notoriously poor. I've put together dozens of spears, for the same reason. I match a good spearhead with a good shaft, and see how the outcome is. It takes time and experience to be able to recognize something so simple as a good staff or good spear. I try to understand the weapon itself as fully as I can, and I try to match that with what I am being taught of their use, by my teachers.

I don't expect other people to go off the deep end with weapons the way that I have done. But I AM trying to dispell the myth that ANY weapon is so simple as some people would like to believe, and would like everyone else to believe. A weapon, even the most simple one, is far more than meets the eye. The weapon itself must be right, and you often don't even know what that means without a certain amount of experience. You don't even know if what you are handling is junk, or quality. And its use takes far far far more training and practice than a five week video/booklet program.

I am not trying to be rude. But I am willing to be honest, and this is what I believe, based on many years of experience in the martial arts, and with martial arts weaponry. If you want to teach the chucks, then get some real, long term, ongoing training from a kubudo expert. Train the hell out of it for a number of years until you really understand it. When you THINK you understand it, train for three more. At least. THEN you might be ready to start teaching it to your own students.
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flying crane For This Useful Post:

Carol (09-22-2009),J-squared (09-22-2009),toejoe2k (09-23-2009)

Thanks

not to take anything from anyone.. just sharing my 2 cents..

they're fun, but kind of impractical. i think there's a reason it didn't catch on in American Kenpo. I think that if someone, especially a black belt can't figure a Kenpo oriented nunchaku kata for themselves, especially at the black belt and above level, they should probably spend their time on something different. It's good to have some experience with a collapsible weapon.. but im thinking more common like rope, chain, or a belt. any collapsible item that can be used as a weapon. i'd much rather practice with a 1'-2' length of chain or my belt

yes there are some principles you can learn from a nunchaku especially with trapping, as well as the likely chance of it bouncing back at you after you strike with it. but just about any weapon you can apply to a form or set after you learn how to hold and maneuver the weapon, and what it can and can't do.. Take for instance the Sais, perfect for star block, striking set, and finger set. especially when you can flip grips, i don't know what it's called.

when i pick up a nunchaku (or any weapon), and work it in techniques, or in a form.. it is my art
    Brian Sheets
    VKKSI Kenpo 1st Black

Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it." ~ Unknown
    "Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting, but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt

18. The Following User Says Thank You to madeku For This Useful Post:

J Ellis (09-22-2009)

Thanks

I am not sure my sarcasm showed through on my earlier post.

Quote Originally Posted by madeku View Post
    yes there are some principles you can learn from a nunchaku especially with trapping, as well as the likely chance of it bouncing back at you after you strike with it.
    The first thing I used to do with a student who wanted to learn the nunchaku was to tell them to go whack the post that holds up the heavy bags. Once the swelling went down, many students would then look at other weapons. More students shift away from the nunchaku once they get their head handed to them by an equivelantly skilled stick wielder in the weapon sparring class.
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Blindside For This Useful Post:

J Ellis (09-22-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madeku View Post
    not to take anything from anyone.. just sharing my 2 cents..

they're fun, but kind of impractical. i think there's a reason it didn't catch on in American Kenpo. I think that if someone, especially a black belt can't figure a Kenpo oriented nunchaku kata for themselves, especially at the black belt and above level, they should probably spend their time on something different. It's good to have some experience with a collapsible weapon.. but im thinking more common like rope, chain, or a belt. any collapsible item that can be used as a weapon. i'd much rather practice with a 1'-2' length of chain or my belt

yes there are some principles you can learn from a nunchaku especially with trapping, as well as the likely chance of it bouncing back at you after you strike with it. but just about any weapon you can apply to a form or set after you learn how to hold and maneuver the weapon, and what it can and can't do.. Take for instance the Sais, perfect for star block, striking set, and finger set. especially when you can flip grips, i don't know what it's called.

when i pick up a nunchaku (or any weapon), and work it in techniques, or in a form.. it is my art
    I really like your take on this. I appreciate your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside View Post
    But.... but.... they are cool. And Bruce Lee used them, so they are cooler. And like, it is really practical for a modern martial art like Kenpo to teach them because there are lots of everyday things that can be adapted to use just like a nunchaku, like, um, like, well.... nevermind, they are cool. Really.

As an aside, real grain flails are generally two handed, you'd starve to death trying to feed your family with the modern kobodu or kenpo nunchaku.
    Let's not be too hard on the gentlemen who has conceded that this may not be the most practical weapon but, who has put time, effort, and dedication into trying to innovate. He certainly has my respects for that.
    ~Bill Richardson

Rudeness is the frustrated attempt of a small mind to communicate.

Forgive everyone everything

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toejoe2k For This Useful Post:

Blindside (09-23-2009),punisher73 (09-23-2009)

Thanks

Sooooo... what you are saying is that even though I may own every season of Teanage Mutant Ninja Turtles does NOT make me a master of the Bo, Sai, Daisho, and or the nunchucks?

-JTHM

24. The Following User Says Thank You to MrBunny For This Useful Post:

toejoe2k (09-23-2009)

Thanks

I used the nunchakus a lot when I was a teen and beginning the arts. Mostly self-styled with a few pointers taught in a video by Michael Burke.

'Heres a youtube clip of him as well.

I did fairly well in open tournaments weapon competition, but as far as being able to defend myself without going to jail... not so much.

They are fun to toy around with, but my time is better spent elsewhere these days. If I'm going to work any weapons, they'll most likely be 1)firearms 2)Staff 3)Sticks 4)Knife. I like to keep my distance now that I'm on coumaden.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toejoe2k View Post
    In my state, they are considered just as illegal as a 13" shotgun or fully automatic rifle. Even if used against someone with bad intentions, I would still get to share a jail cell with someone who I brandished "nunchucks" against. Just as quickly as if I'd shot them with a sawed-off 12 guage.
    I disagree. He likely won't be in a cell if you shot him with the 12 gauge. Perhaps he'd be in a different box (what's left of him).
    "Many years of training is wasted by one night of drinking"-oldslowguy

"Pain may be a cruel master..........but it breeds diligent pupils."

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Why chucks? Seems like I would want to teach something more practable or something you'd be more likely to encounter or something to improvise with.

Unless your focus is on $$ or competition training.
    "Many years of training is wasted by one night of drinking"-oldslowguy

"Pain may be a cruel master..........but it breeds diligent pupils."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links