Thread: Which Kenpo is "Right" for me?

Thanks

Default Which Kenpo is "Right" for me?

Which Kenpo is "Right" for me?
    By Bob Hubbard - Wed, 14 Feb 2007 16:22:25 GMT

====================

By Bob Hubbard

This is a common question isn't it? Newbies wonder about a particular school, and sometimes even older players wonder if what they are doing is right. The kenpo family tree isn't so much a single tree, but a small grove that has over time intertwined and crossed branches. Some of these branches are very refined, academic even, others are still simple in lay out and devastating in impact. Each one with it's strengths, nuances, weaknesses, and peculiarities.

Sometimes I think though, we as human beings get so hung up on trying to figure out just what the "right" thing is, as if there really was a "one-size-fits-all" art. But we can't see the forest for the trees as we each have our favorites. A forest of nothing but pine trees would be a boring place. So would a single unified kenpo.

I think wondering which is right is a good question. Computer hackers have done this for over 50 years, and their arguments make ours look tame. (see mac vs windows, or which linux is right for reference, lol)

We all want to believe what we are doing it the "right thing", and when someone else promotes something not our "right thing" we often want to protect ourselves from "being wrong". That is the point where so many of our arguments come from. We need to sit back, and realize that there can in fact be more than one "right thing". I come from a Modern Arnis background, where there is a focus on tailoring the art to yourself and making it your own. I've heard the same thing said about some of the kenpos. Some of our terms, our training methodologies, our techniques look odd to the uninitiated. "You have to feel to believe" we say, so we invite others on the floor so that we may share our knowledge and passion. The whole time trying to share this "right thing" that we have found. When they do not see it, we often get annoyed, sometimes angry, and lash out.

I don't believe that this lashing out, this misdirected anger is a sign of high martial arts development. It is a sign of fear. The fear of being wrong. The fear that our "right thing" isn't really "right". We need to stop that fear, and learn to enjoy our differences. As it is said, empty your cup. Realize that there are many "right things" out there, some even contradict each other. The true "Right" is the one that is your own, that fits you and takes you higher. Rejoice in our differences, for they make us stronger, and more interesting.

===

Bob Hubbard is an administrator of the popular martial arts sites MartialTalk.com and KenpoTalk.com. He is president of SilverStar WebDesigns inc., a web site design and hosting company specializing in affordable solutions for martial artists. A student of all the arts, he is currently studying Modern Arnis. More of Bob's articles can be found at rustaz.net. Please contact Bob if you would like him to review your martial arts product.

Copyright
    ©2007 Bob Hubbard - Copies of this article are free to distribute, provided all text is retained intact.

Read More...

------------------------------------
    MartialTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MT Post Bot For This Useful Post:

Celtic_Crippler (08-03-2007),Gin-Gin2 (08-09-2007),John M. La Tourrette (03-14-2007),MARSHALLS KENPO (08-03-2007),Mikael151 (08-08-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Default Re: Which Kenpo is "Right" for me?

Quote Originally Posted by MT Post Bot View Post
    We all want to believe what we are doing it the "right thing", and when someone else promotes something not our "right thing" we often want to protect ourselves from "being wrong". That is the point where so many of our arguments come from. We need to sit back, and realize that there can in fact be more than one "right thing". I come from a Modern Arnis background, where there is a focus on tailoring the art to yourself and making it your own. I've heard the same thing said about some of the kenpos.

I don't believe that this lashing out, this misdirected anger is a sign of high martial arts development. It is a sign of fear. The fear of being wrong. The fear that our "right thing" isn't really "right". We need to stop that fear, and learn to enjoy our differences. As it is said, empty your cup. Realize that there are many "right things" out there, some even contradict each other. The true "Right" is the one that is your own, that fits you and takes you higher. Rejoice in our differences, for they make us stronger, and more interesting.
    This is getting into the unconscious rules structures that people live by.

I found out long ago that people, no matter what, will still believe what they believe.

Dr. Morris Massey did a program on this, "You are what you were when", that does cover the underlying psychological profiles very well.

I personally make up my own mind and learn the best I could from Mr. Parker, Al Tracy and Jim Mitchell.

What I do know teach is "my" stew from their ingrediants.

DOC

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John M. La Tourrette View Post
    This is getting into the unconscious rules structures that people live by.

I found out long ago that people, no matter what, will still believe what they believe.

Dr. Morris Massey did a program on this, "You are what you were when", that does cover the underlying psychological profiles very well.

I personally make up my own mind and learn the best I could from Mr. Parker, Al Tracy and Jim Mitchell.

What I do know teach is "my" stew from their ingrediants.

DOC
    What will happen when there are none left who knew these great people?
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MT Post Bot View Post
    By Bob Hubbard - Wed, 14 Feb 2007 16:22:25 GMT

====================

By Bob Hubbard

This is a common question isn't it? Newbies wonder about a particular school, and sometimes even older players wonder if what they are doing is right. The kenpo family tree isn't so much a single tree, but a small grove that has over time intertwined and crossed branches. Some of these branches are very refined, academic even, others are still simple in lay out and devastating in impact. Each one with it's strengths, nuances, weaknesses, and peculiarities.

Sometimes I think though, we as human beings get so hung up on trying to figure out just what the "right" thing is, as if there really was a "one-size-fits-all" art. But we can't see the forest for the trees as we each have our favorites. A forest of nothing but pine trees would be a boring place. So would a single unified kenpo.

I think wondering which is right is a good question. Computer hackers have done this for over 50 years, and their arguments make ours look tame. (see mac vs windows, or which linux is right for reference, lol)

We all want to believe what we are doing it the "right thing", and when someone else promotes something not our "right thing" we often want to protect ourselves from "being wrong". That is the point where so many of our arguments come from. We need to sit back, and realize that there can in fact be more than one "right thing". I come from a Modern Arnis background, where there is a focus on tailoring the art to yourself and making it your own. I've heard the same thing said about some of the kenpos. Some of our terms, our training methodologies, our techniques look odd to the uninitiated. "You have to feel to believe" we say, so we invite others on the floor so that we may share our knowledge and passion. The whole time trying to share this "right thing" that we have found. When they do not see it, we often get annoyed, sometimes angry, and lash out.

===

Bob Hubbard is an administrator of the popular martial arts sites MartialTalk.com and KenpoTalk.com. He is president of SilverStar WebDesigns inc., a web site design and hosting company specializing in affordable solutions for martial artists. A student of all the arts, he is currently studying Modern Arnis. More of Bob's articles can be found at rustaz.net. Please contact Bob if you would like him to review your martial arts product.

Copyright ©2007 Bob Hubbard - Copies of this article are free to distribute, provided all text is retained intact.

Read More...

------------------------------------
    MartialTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed
    I was reading through a book about the plights of being left handed. To illistrate his point the author cited many studies of how both children and adults will automaticly form an "Us Against Them" mentality simply by the creation or existing circumstance of groups. One study explained that a set of bleachers were painted different colors in different sections. The people were all watching a pig race and encouraged to route for the pig that was wearing the same color as the bench you were sitting in. Before long the people began jeering the people sitting in the other colored spots. It is simply natural to form negative feelings about "them".
    Sean

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KenpoChanger For This Useful Post:

Mikael151 (08-08-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    New pioneers will emerge.
    Sean

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoChanger View Post
    New pioneers will emerge.
    Sean
    Is there any new land to explore?
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Thanks

Is there any new land to explore?
    Of course!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoChanger View Post
    Of course!
    Where do you feel we need to focus our direction?
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Where do you feel we need to focus our direction?
    I think on being more well-rounded and practical. Include all ranges of combat including a ground game. I appreciate what Mr. Speakman has attempted to do with 5.0, but there is still more room to improve (but isn't there always? )

Train more practical mutliple attacker sequences. You're more likely to be jumped by 2+ thugs today more than ever.

Focus should always be on what's going on in your environment at the time. Since environments constantly change, we must adapt our focus and training to change with them.

My 0.02
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    I think on being more well-rounded and practical. Include all ranges of combat including a ground game. I appreciate what Mr. Speakman has attempted to do with 5.0, but there is still more room to improve (but isn't there always? )

Train more practical mutliple attacker sequences. You're more likely to be jumped by 2+ thugs today more than ever.

Focus should always be on what's going on in your environment at the time. Since environments constantly change, we must adapt our focus and training to change with them.

My 0.02
    Does this mean we should change the system, or realize that perhaps that we want be using the entire tech?
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Thanks

We will continue taking responsibility for our own learnings and our own maturation.

DOC

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

Gin-Gin2 (08-09-2007),MARSHALLS KENPO (08-06-2007),Mikael151 (08-08-2007),profesormental (08-07-2007)

Thanks

I think on being more well-rounded and practical. Include all ranges of combat including a ground game. I appreciate what Mr. Speakman has attempted to do with 5.0, but there is still more room to improve (but isn't there always?
    What is interesting is that, since we are different, and our paradigms are different, most of us can mismatch the hell out of whatever it is we are learning.

So, "good enough" will never be "good enough".

DOC

16. The Following User Says Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

Black St1300 (08-06-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Does this mean we should change the system, or realize that perhaps that we want be using the entire tech?
    I think we should take yet another lesson from SGM Parker. He was constantly changing, evolving, and tweaking the system. In all honesty, do you really think that if he were still alive that the curriculum would look anything like it did in 1989 when the way it looked in 1989 was nothing like the way it looked in say...1960...or 1950....etc.

IMO, the techniques are just another tool used to teach basics and principles. They are not intended to be taught as being used 1-2-3 in a street fight or real life self-defense scenario. An attacker(s) will not oblige you with the correct attack for the defense tech you have in mind. You must be able to react spontaneously to whatever happens, which could include you being taken to the ground, whether it be because the attacker put you there, you tripped, ...whatever.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying ditch the system. I'm saying it should continue to evolve and not stagnate. I'm saying we should be aware of what's going on in our world and constantly evaluate what we're doing for effectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by John M. La Tourrette View Post
    What is interesting is that, since we are different, and our paradigms are different, most of us can mismatch the hell out of whatever it is we are learning.

So, "good enough" will never be "good enough".

DOC
    ROFL. "Good enough" never is. That's why one should strive for improvement. IMHO, there is no end-goal, there is only the constant striving to be better.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

Gin-Gin2 (08-09-2007),MARSHALLS KENPO (08-08-2007),Mikael151 (08-08-2007)

Thanks

I think we should take yet another lesson from SGM Parker. He was constantly changing, evolving, and tweaking the system. In all honesty, do you really think that if he were still alive that the curriculum would look anything like it did in 1989 when the way it looked in 1989 was nothing like the way it looked in say...1960...or 1950....etc.
    Yep.

I'm pretty sure that most of what I've personally added to Kenpo (referencing the Speed concepts, the psychological concepts and the energy concepts for martial arts specifically) would have been added by Mr. Parker if he had not died so premature.

DOC

20. The Following User Says Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

Mikael151 (08-08-2007)

Thanks

ROFL. "Good enough" never is. That's why one should strive for improvement. IMHO, there is no end-goal, there is only the constant striving to be better.
    And the thread topic "whic kenpo is right for me" presupposes that people actually have a goal in mind when they take Kenpo Karate or any other martial art.

Unfortunately they don't.

According to a study started at Harvard in 1953 and ended in 1973, only 3% of the graduating classof 1953 actually had written specific goals (Zig Ziglar, "See You At The Top".

10% of that graduating class had "ideas" about where they were going and how they'd get there...

...and 87% of the graduating class had no clue.

They were just flowin on the River of Life.

I suggest respectfully that most people in Kenpo Karate are also just "flowing on the River of Life".

DOC

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Which Kenpo is "Right" for me?

That is a good question! I personally think that it will be a matter of a person's ability and performance within the art that they will be judged by. Not who their daddy is or association with claims to fame.
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Celtic_Crippler (08-08-2007),Gin-Gin2 (08-09-2007),MARSHALLS KENPO (08-09-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    That is a good question! I personally think that it will be a matter of a person's ability and performance within the art that they will be judged by. Not who their daddy is or association with claims to fame.
    Brian,

I love your bold, and frank perspective.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

25. The Following User Says Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

Hunter (08-08-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Brian,

Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

27. The Following User Says Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

Hunter (08-08-2007)

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Which Kenpo is "Right" for me?

Brian,

Mr. Marshall,

You have known me long enough to know I speak my mind Sometimes my thoughts are not as "PC" as they should be but at least I say 'em haha.

One of the main problems I see in American Kenpo today, (I have fell victim to it myself) is that too many people sit around and worry about how pure the system is, who is teaching the system, or who's kenpo it is, what they should be worrying about is how their own kenpo is.

Ultimately it is about how well you have developed yourself and what YOU can do. Not who's name or lineage is attached to it.

See you soon!

Bam Bam
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (08-08-2007),Mikael151 (08-08-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Sir,

With all do respect, you have IKKA below your name but your statement leads me to believe that you truly do not understand Ed Parkers American Kenpo.

Read up man, it is all about change, constant refinement, and evolution.

Yours in Kenpo,

Mike G

AKKI, Westminster, MD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links