Thread: Extensions

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Default Extensions

What is everyones take on EXTENTIONS ? Do you feel they make you a better Fighter or a better Kenpoist as far as the "System" goes.

Pat Robinson

http://www.phoenixfightingartsandconcepts.com

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Extensions

I myself belive they do because they give you a working knowledge of what you could do next if you needed to. And they give your muscles a memory of what you could do so you can just rip something out after the tech. So I think they are a good thing to practice, in fact my former instructor Jim Clark of the Paul Mills AKKI made us, in a sence, do the extentions at the end of a tech. so we would have that quick reaction and knoledge.

Kenpo89

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

The extensions hold a lot of knowledge for the students, there is a lot of re-iteration in them. But I also think a student should be able to create their own extensions for techniques by that time using the Equation Formula.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

I agree with you 100% Rob. By using the EQUATION FORMULA along with the understanding of proper Concepts, Principles and Rules Of Motion, you can come up with your own EXTENSIONS for yourself if you can think for yourself. By creating your own EXTENSIONS shows that you know what you are doing when it comes to the art of American Kenpo Karate. Practioners have got to remember it's all and only Basics that we are putting together to come up with a so called "Technique" or "Move".

But back to my first question...Do you feel they make you a BETTER FIGHTER or a BETTER KENPOIST as far as the "System" goes.

Pat Robinson

http://www.phoenixfightingartsandconcepts.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

I feel that the extensions are just another set of tools in the big Kenpo tool box. It think it is the whole package that makes you a better practioner. The techniques and their extensions, forms, sets and sparring all put together make you a better kenpoist. Too many times people concentrate on just one area, and it shows in other areas.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 583 Posts

From a post I made in a similar discussion on Martial Talk:

"Personally I view extensions as a tool in training spontaneous action/reaction. The gist of training in any martial art, including western-style boxing is the ability to recognize what to defend against, at least initially. Training extensions in Kenpo gives you something else, another position to recognize.

In the IKCA we use a process known as "Blending and Borrowing", similar to what other Kenpoists would call grafting. The process of adapting mid-stream because something doesn't go "ideally" is just a matter of repetition and recognition. But if I haven't seen it before, I won't recognize it. Is there a limit? Sure, but remember you're only needing to recognize snapshots of body position, not entire moves. This is what a Kenpoist is reacting to. then acting upon.

Learning extensions leads to developing extensions which leads to the ability to spontaneously flow in an encounter. The more you're required to think in training, the less you'll have to think on the street."

For this reason I believe that extensions in fact teach you to do both, become a better Kenpoist and become a better fighter as a result.

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 909 Posts

One of the most important skills learned from practicing "extensions" is not only becoming more spontaneous with your reactions when things don't go "idealy," but the student begins to learn HOW to think.

How's the saying go? "Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach him HOW to fish and you feed him for life."

Practicing extensions and allowing the student to experiment with follow ups and grafting encourages them to think for themselves which in turn will make them more efficient kenpoist.

This benefits the instructor as well..... When observing the student as they practice adding extensions, grafting, and follow ups you can better see where they are in their training. You can further identify areas that need improvement. Also, you too can learn. Being that the student has their own unique perspective, they may show you a follow up to an established technique that you may not have previously considered. =)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

MJS
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,132 Times in 599 Posts

The extensions are part of the system. They are going to cover the "what if" areas after the base technique.

So, to answer the original question: Yes, they are going to make you more complete.

Mike

Thanks

The extensions are very important to the system because they offer what-if scenarios as you are executing your defense. The extensions can really be thought of as new techniques in themselves rather than just "tag-along" moves to existing base techniques. Thus 154 techniques + 96 extensions would equal 250 techniques. Extensions help make you both a better kenpoist and all round fighter.

One key difference between the base techniques and extensions is that the latter offer a lot more lower case moves, such as leg buckles, sweeps, and so on.

Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 909 Posts

I see your point. If for some reason your opponent is still standing it would be logical for your follow up to be a lower case move in order to finish them off... or rather..place them in a horizontal position =)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    I see your point. If for some reason your opponent is still standing it would be logical for your follow up to be a lower case move in order to finish them off... or rather..place them in a horizontal position =)
    That's part of it. But I think too many people say that if you do the base move right in the first place then there's no need to learn anything else. But when was the last time you fought hard against someone in sparring, confident that you were going to land a hard blow, only to have it backfire? It happens.

The extensions therefore offer what-if scenarios should something go wrong in our initial defense.

Jamie Seabrook

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links