Thread: Dominating Circles

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Default Dominating Circles

Anybody else have prob with this tech? I've got the first part, the part in the form, but after that it doesn't seem to work so well. Up to step 4 (I don't do step 2) At step 4 the guy is usually down, but we figured if we don't go for the knock down and just try and get him off balance we can continue. So then the next part, step 5, your stepping away from him while your reaching across your own body to strike with the left. Whats the left been doing this whole time and what makes it think it can reach that far?
    Those are the beginings of the issues we've had with this tech, any suggestions. Better yet, any vids?

Dominating Circles (Front- Offset Right Hand Grab to Right Shoulder)
    1. An attacker at 1 o'clock grabs your right shoulder with their right hand.
    2. Note: Not all teach with the first move. Some start with the next. Step your left foot to 12 o'clock into a left neutral bow as you execute a left inward block above your attacker's elbow and execute a right reverse handsword.
    3. Step your right leg circle clockwise into a horse stance stepping behind your attacker's right leg. Simultaneous with your right foot planting, execute a right outward overhead elbow strike down and on top of your attacker's right forearm.
    4. Thrust your right leg to 4:30 if need be or simply pivot into a right reverse bow facing 4:30 as you execute a right palm strike to your attacker's jaw. (Your left arm is still checking your attacker's right arm.)
    5. Step your right foot to 10:30 into a front twist stance as you execute a left outward handsword and a simultaneously contour your right hand down your attacker's right arm, acting as a sliding check until it grabs the right wrist.
    6. Step your left foot to 10:30 into a left neutral bow as you hook around your attacker's head with your left hand and apply a right hammerlock on their right arm. (This should turn their head counterclockwise.)
    7. Step your right foot to 10:30 into a left neutral bow facing 4:30. Push drag in reverse toward 10:30 as you yank on your attacker's right arm. Note: This will probably dislocate their shoulder, so be careful on a partner.
    8. Drop into a left close kneel stance as you have your right knee sandwich your attacker's face and head with the ground. 9. Ascend to a left front crossover and cross out towards 9 o'clock.
    This is how I wear my Kenpo suit. Still trying to learn how to put it on and it's a little wrinkled, but it is starting to feel pretty good on me.

Thanks

Default Re: Dominating Circles

Dominating Circles works off a push at which point you step off to the left, takig the angle of least resistance, parry with your left, circle your right arm around and down and claw the face as you drop the right arm as you go into the cat stance. As you stretch your opponent out on the next move (going into a left forward bow), you cancel the opponent's height, width, and depth.

The key to this technique is understanding the nature of the attack. This is a technique that a lot of people call a "don't do" technique but Larry Tatum will sure tell you otherwise if you ever attend one of his seminars.

Try working the opening of Glancing Salute and then grafting into Dominating Circles - it works perfectly....thanks Clyde O'Briant.

Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Seabrook For This Useful Post:

Mr.Strobel (05-24-2010)

Thanks

One other cool thing you will notice about Dominating Circles. This technique helps teach contact manipulation which instantly converts into control manipulation.

Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Thanxs, I'm going to print this up and take it to the Dojo. I'll let you know it comes out, the shoulder that is

I need to fix my sig
    This is how I wear my Kenpo suit. Still trying to learn how to put it on and it's a little wrinkled, but it is starting to feel pretty good on me.

Thanks

I can see how this would better work for a push than a grab.

And the parry will work well too, I think.

I have a couple of green belts I've been teaching this to and, having never taught this technique before, appreciate the ideas.

I've been doing the right elbow as an arm trap, but have always had trouble getting my arm around the opponent's.

I'm going to try the elbow to the top of the arm and with a parry and see how it works.

I think this is a really cool move if you can get it right. I've had it done on me with very tight circles and I just can't help but go along.

Thanks!!

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Rich_Hale is offline A student of EP Kenpo
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

On the initial sequence of Dominating Circles, be sure to check your opponent's right shoulder with your left hand - don't simply parry away his right hand with your left hand and definitely don't pin his right hand to your right shoulder.

Doing a left inward parry to your opponent's right hand simply frees both you and your opponent to do what ever either of you wants to do next. It does noting to check your opponent's mobility. In fact, it both frees your opponent and puts his weapon into motion, where it could orbit back at you again. I know this method works well in class where your opponent is just standing there, but in reality you have just released your opponent and put your his weapon into motion.

Another problem with parrying away your opponentís right arm is it takes away from the effectiveness of your right outward overhead elbow strike that is supposed to work in sync with the planting of your right foot. The combined action of your right leg striking his right leg and your right elbow striking down on his right forearm is designed to buckle both your opponentís lower and upper body in unison. Striking your opponentís right forearm after you parried it away from your right shoulder may force his arm down, but does little to buckle and anchor his upper body. By leaving your opponentís right hand in place (on your right shoulder) the force of your right downward elbow will force his entire body downward, not just his arm.

Pinning your opponent's right hand to your right shoulder is not only ineffective but counterproductive. Pinning your opponent's right hand to your right shoulder does nothing to check his height zone, or control your opponent's body. In fact, by "effectively" pinning your opponent's right hand to your own right shoulder, you have placed yourself in a position of limited retaliation and are in effect anchoring your own right shoulder thus checking your own height zone - preventing you from raising your own right shoulder, arm and leg - all of which are essential to the success of this technique.

What you want to do in the initial sequence of this technique is aggressively check his right shoulder with your left hand then immediately and simultaneously buckle his right leg and right arm. In effect you want to buckle and anchor his entire body in one move.

For the record I don't just "check" my opponent's right shoulder. I "check & grab" my opponent's right shoulder. Not only does this give me greater control over my opponent during the initial defensive sequence of the technique, but provides the opportunity for me to utilize opposing forces as I jerk my opponent toward me with my left arm as I deliver the thrusting heel palm with my right.

A side note on Dominating Circles is how many people have changed the "Reverse" bow of the right reverse bow & right heel palm combination into a right "Forward" bow instead. I'm sure many have thought they were correcting a typo, but Mr. Parker considered - not the direction he was facing - but the direction of his action when describing a maneuver. I understand there's a simultaneous heel palm strike with the stance, which has us looking and thinking forward, but the action of the stance itself is toward the rear (buckling your opponent's right leg), thus a right reverse bow. The easiest way to confirm the validity of this thinking is to search the term "buckle" in the Kenpo Journal and then click on the "Find Term in Technique" button. Your search will reveal that "buckle" was used in eighty four techniques. The buckling in many of those techniques are the result of kicks, strikes, neutral bows, wide kneels, etc., but in every case where the defender's rear leg was used to buckle the opponent's leg (from a forward/rear bow position), it is referred to as a reverse bow.

In carefully reading Step 2 of text, you'll see that Mr. Parker not only describes the action as a reverse bow once, but twice.

Step 2. "This is a sophisticated transitional buckle that first travels downward, before rotating into a reverse bow that trips your opponent. As you pivot into a right reverse bow, deliver a right thrusting heel palm strike to the right side of your opponent's mandible toward 10:30."

So what's the significance of this little side note? After all, the technique itself isn't altered in the least by what you choose to call the stance. So what difference does it make if we call it a forward bow or a reverse bow?

The difference is simple. As we all know, the manuals are written in outline form and could easily benefit through some clarification here-and-there. We also know that isn't going to happen, because Mr. Parker isnít here to write any clarifications. Therefore people are always trying to interpret exactly what Mr. Parker meant when he described how a technique was to be executed.

Only Mr. Parker was fond of saying that although many people could speak Kenpo, few could read and write Kenpo. So if we don't make a study of Mr. Parker's writings, searching for patterns and consistencies, how are we ever to have a fair shot at interpreting them correctly?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rich_Hale For This Useful Post:

Eastcoastkenpoist (11-30-2009),John (03-02-2010),MarkC (11-29-2009)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links