Thread: Squeezing the Peach

Thanks

Default Squeezing the Peach

Let's discuss and analyze this technique (base and/or extension).

Please give your thoughts and how you teach (or were taught) this technique.

Jamie Seabrook

Thanks

Default Re: Squeezing the Peach

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    Let's discuss and analyze this technique (base and/or extension).

Please give your thoughts and how you teach (or were taught) this technique.

Jamie Seabrook
    Well to speed it up a little after you squeeze the peach, instead of just stepping back up toward 12 or 1 with you left foot, scoop, than buckle elbow. But it together more, almost all at once. I hope you understand what I mean. Like in Five Sords instead of making it block and than chop make them both one. Same in this technique. THan from the low elbow sice we are talking about the extension, imediately buckle and hammer fist. Once his head starts to come down, do your back-knuckle and sandwich with your knee. From there do you upward lifting forarm strike. Now when you do you twist stance do not really settle into it totally, come right back into your side and immediately deliver your inward cresent kick with your left foot. Left front crossover and cover out.

Throughout this whole technique there should not be any hesitation.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

The ideal phase technique is a rear bear hug with your arms pinned and the oppnent is pulling you back, hence the angle of least resistance as we step back, buckle the leg and grab the attacker you know where.

Why is the extension crucial to know in this technique?

Where is the built in what-if? How can the extension be considered an ideal phase in and of itself?

Jamie Seabrook

Thanks

I haven't got much response here but since the catalyst is a bear hug, arms pinned, with the opponent pulling you back towards 6 o’clock, we pin the hand, step back (taking the angle of least resistance), buckle the leg and grab the opponent's groin. Too often this technique is taught for a simple rear bear hug, arms pinned, and the opponent just stands there.

If, on the other hand, the opponent was pushing you forward initially instead of pulling you back, just do the extension. There is another reason why learning the extensions is very important to one's training.

Jamie Seabrook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 909 Posts

...what if?

The attacker lifts you up off the ground instead? Hmmmmm....what's your take on that? =)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    ...what if?

The attacker lifts you up off the ground instead? Hmmmmm....what's your take on that? =)
    Trust me on this one. If you are picked up off the ground, and you grab someone guys peaches he will drop you to the ground, quickly I might add. Your biggest worry at that time should be whether he is gonna fall forward on you.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

There are options: pin the attacker's hand, a reverse head butt works nice, followed by the hard "slap/claw" to the groin or inner thigh. You should try to keep the opponent very close to you, and your "behind" can be used nicely to control the opponent's depth as well.

Jamie Seabrook

Thanks

If he pushes you forward he may push you into the first position of the technique. If he picks you up, what you do will depend a lot on how he puts you down. Because each attack is a little different, something might go a little wrong- say your step back closes off his groin and you have to choose another target, such as a heel palm to his anterior left hip to buckle the joint. Position recognition, technique flow, and improvisisng/modifying will probably be more important than just knowing Squeezing the Peach.

Thanks

If the guy (assuming it is a male applying the bear hug) is big enough to lift you, you may have difficulty reaching the desired target (groin.)

Now, I'm all about some head butts...lol...but you have to especially consider injuring yourself when you execute one. If the guy is wise enough to keep his chin tucked you may end up bashing your head into the top of his (the top of the skull/upper forehead is the hardest part of the skull.)

....so....now I'm not female, but it always seemed to me that they would be more likely to be grabbed in this manner. From that perspective...what would you do?

Do you think heel kicks to their knees may coerce them to let go? Would you have enough leverage to execute any strikes effectively?

Thing is, if you find yourself in this position your next position is likely to be face down on the ground. This takedown is typical for anyone with high school wrestling experience. And the last place you wanna be is on the ground face down with a big ole ugly go-rilla on your back. =)

Of course, the ideal scenario would be not to let them get their hands clasped around you. Would you agree?

-good discussion, IMHO =)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

I would agree, best thing is not get in that position. Weighing 205 lb on a good day this has never happened to me but I would assume like you said it would be a big guy picking up a smaller man or women. I think first instinct would be as Jamie said head butt or heel to the groin or to the knees or grab pinch like Wings of Silk ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thedan
    If he pushes you forward he may push you into the first position of the technique.
    The technique is not designed for a rear bear hug with the opponent pushing you forward (it's back). If he did happen to push you forward, however, you just need to do the extension.

Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Southwell
    I would agree, best thing is not get in that position. Weighing 205 lb on a good day this has never happened to me but I would assume like you said it would be a big guy picking up a smaller man or women. I think first instinct would be as Jamie said head butt or heel to the groin or to the knees or grab pinch like Wings of Silk ?
    We teach "Reaction Drills" to try and train our students to react prior to having a hold locked onto them. The moment you feel someones arms reaching around you, you should react {unless you're expecting a hug from someone =) } This concept applies to other attempted holds, locks, or chokes. The moment you feel the hair of their arm tickle your neck...react! Don't wait for the lock to be applied before you decide to do something about it.

In this case we would have the students line up (like 'in the middle') with one student having their back to the line. Each student, in turn, attempts to grab the student 'in the middle' from behind (without warning.) The student attempts to 'flare' out their elbows knocking the attacking students arms away and thereby preventing the grab. Follow ups are optional.

Of course...there's no garauntee that you will never, ever find yourself in a bearhug or other hold/lock of some sort so it is still very important to train these techniques but you can also increase your chances of not getting into these situations by training reaction drills as well.

IMHO- =)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links