Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swinging Pendulum

Thanks

Default Swinging Pendulum

Let's discuss and analyze this technique (base and/or extension).

Please give your thoughts and how you teach (or were taught) this technique.

Jamie Seabrook

Thanks

Default Re: Swinging Pendulum

We all should know the base so I will skip it this time. From your Obscure Back-Elbow, immediately do your buckle, scoop and buckle. Moving counter clockwise deliver your left elbow and immediately grab the back of his head with your right hand. Do your lifting knee to his groin, plant back towards 6 with your right foot and do yuor left lifting forearm. Like playing a violin almost, do your three claws to the face. Right two finger poke and once you land into your left front cross over, deliver the left heal palm to any available target. Finish covering out.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

SWINGING PENDULUM

THE ATTACK

A Right Roundhouse Kick To The Head.

LESSON NOTES

If a person is attacking you with a kick of this type you can be assured of two things. First, that he has some martial art experience or has been watching to many movies. Only by careful observation will you know the extent of his knowledge and skill. And second, he is confident with his kicking skills. Launching an attack of this nature shows that he probably prefers kicking to punching. Remember this simple rule always BOX a KICKER and KICK a BOXER.

THE DEFENSE

1a. You’re Already Ready:

This technique begins in a fighting stance ( Right Neutral Bow Stance ). It is assumed that since the attacker is kicking you, you are either already engaged in battle or you have seen enough indicators to anticipate his action.

1b. Going Up the Circle:

Get out of range of the kick by sliding your left foot counterclockwise toward 4:30. At the conclusion of this off-angle maneuver you should be in a right neutral bow stance facing 10:30.

1c. A Big Block:

You can’t be certain at which height he might kick so cover all bases by using a left outward downward block simultaneously with a right inward block. This block is known as a Right Over Left Universal Block.

2a. From High To Low:

Shuffle forward ( Push-Drag ) toward 10:30 to bring your arms within range. As you do so, deliver a Right Downward Hammerfist Strike to the attacker’s groin. Your right arm should follow the same direction as the Inward Block and simply convert to the Hammerfist.

2b. From Low To High:

Have your left arm continue the direction of the outward downward block and end as a high cover.

3a. Another Off-Angle:

Slide your left foot counterclockwise 90-degrees and end in a Right Neural Bow Stance or a Right High Wide Kneel facing 7:30 to face your work.

3b. From Low To High:

As the attacker reacts to the strike to the groin, immediately follow with a right upward elbow strike to his chin. This strike is called a Right Inverted Uppward Elbow Strike.

Cover out to 1:30 or 12:00.

Thank You

Pat Robinson

http://www.phoenixfightingartsandconcepts.com
    Last edited by BlackPhoenix; 12-16-2005 at 03:23 PM.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Remember to always have your students experiment with different variables in every technique. Pefix, Suffix, Alter, Re-Arrange, Add, Delete, Regulate, Modify...etc.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPhoenix
    If a person is attacking you with a kick of this type you can be assured of two things. First, that he has some martial art experience or has been watching to many movies. And second, he is confident with his kicking skills. Launching an attack of this nature shows that he probably prefers kicking to punching. Remember this simple rule always BOX a KICKER and KICK a BOXER.

Pat Robinson

http://www.phoenixfightingartsandconcepts.com
    Pat,

The message I quoted from you above is very important. Too often we lose sight of these basic understandings.

Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Thanks

So here is a question for everyone.

Where is the built in "what-if" during the extension?

Jamie Seabrook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPhoenix
    2a. From High To Low: Shuffle forward ( Push-Drag ) toward 10:30 to bring your arms within range. As you do so, deliver a Right Downward Hammerfist Strike to the attacker’s groin. Your right arm should follow the same direction as the Inward Block and simply convert to the Hammerfist.
    2b. From Low To High: Have your left arm continue the direction of the outward downward block and end as a high cover.
    3a. Another Off-Angle: Slide your left foot counterclockwise 90-degrees and end in a Right Neural Bow Stance or a Right High Wide Kneel facing 7:30 to face your work.
    3b. From Low To High: As the attacker reacts to the strike to the groin, immediately follow with a right upward elbow strike to his chin. This strike is called a Right Inverted Uppward Elbow Strike.
    One of the things I remember being corrected on was not rushing the elbow strike. In 3a. you move up the circle to adjust your position for a better strike. The left check will actually hold him in position momentarily while you adjust. Make sure you solidify your stance as you strike.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thedan
    One of the things I remember being corrected on was not rushing the elbow strike. In 3a. you move up the circle to adjust your position for a better strike. The left check will actually hold him in position momentarily while you adjust. Make sure you solidify your stance as you strike.
    That is correct. Too many times guys just bang off a technique as fast as possible where they should be letting their opponents body adjust to the strikes we just made.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

just as long as you don't fall asleep after deflecting the kick! the hammer to the groin should strike before his right foot hits the ground, taking advantage of borrowed force and utilizing reverse marriage of gravity.

pete

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pete
    just as long as you don't fall asleep after deflecting the kick! the hammer to the groin should strike before his right foot hits the ground, taking advantage of borrowed force and utilizing reverse marriage of gravity.

pete
    Now, there's one I havn't heard in a long time. I bet you could start a pretty active thread about that term (as opposed to hijacking this one). But I'll risk asking- where is it here and how does it work? I don't use the term (just was never taught), so I'm curiouse.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

in 'Doc' Chapel's words lifted from Martial Talk:

Quote Originally Posted by Doc
    In the very conceptual Gravitational Marraige:

"The utilization of your own body weight to enhance your strike or actions."

In the even more conceptual Reverse Gravitational Marraige:

"The utilization of your opponent's body weight to enhance your strike or actions."
    in my words, also lifted from MT

Quote Originally Posted by pete
    reverse gravitational marriage: didn't superman use this technique in the sequel to turn back time and save lois...
    to put us back on thread...

hit him before he touches down with his right foot

Thanks

Interesting concept. Thanks.

Thanks

So how about the extension?

After the first leg buckle and hammerfist to the groin, WHY keep going? What is the attacker doing to trigger our next set of strikes?

Jamie Seabrook

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

who's to say that the hammer to the groin actually connects?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 909 Posts

If you're interested in trying different extensions or experimenting a little, try this out. This is the version we teach to the adult class.

SWINGING PENDULUM

DEFENSE: Right round kick

STANCE: Right Neutral Bow

1) Execute a universal block, right over left
    2) Step foot-to-foot by bringing your left foot in and execute a right side snap kick to inside of opponent’s left knee
    3) Settle into a right neutral bow with a right back fist strike to opponent’s ribs
    4) Step back with the left foot into a deep rear twist simultaneously executing a left cupped palm strike to opponent’s right ear
    5) Pull downward on opponents right ear simultaneously executing a right obscure elbow under opponents chin as you unwind and transition into a right reverse bow
    6) Cover out

What do ya think? =)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    1) Execute a universal block, right over left
    Interesting changeup. But I have a question about 1). You are not steping up the circle or steping in? This would mean you are taking the force of that kick on your block/arms at about its maximum power- about 80% of its arc and at the outside of its arc. How do you deal with that force?

The original method I learned was to push drag in with the universal block so it lands on his thigh. It works, but you have to have good timeing and penetrate his space or you catch a nasty knee. But you are immediately inside the arc, at a weaker power point.

My next instructor corrected the technique, and told me that stepping up the circle, the block is just in case- you really don't need it. So, being the inquisitive genius I am, I had several people try to kick me, with my hands behind my back. It worked..., usually. I had to yield back onto my trailing/steping leg a couple of times. And the few that did connect had lost most of their power. To tell the truth, given the option of steping up the circle or standing and blocking this kick, I'll step away every time. But then, I'm not a large person, so I don't tend to think in terms of force meeting force. Especially straight blocks to kicks.

Thanks

DOH!...left that out. Sorry. That was a pretty important piece to have been left out eh? Thanks for cathcing that. =)

1) Step up into a right neutral bow simultaneously executing a universal block.....

In regards to the target of the universal block, I too was taught it's a good idea to catch the kicking leg above the knee closer to the thigh. Depending on the force behind the kick they could hyper exetend the knee a bit.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

...left that out. Sorry. That was a pretty important piece to have been left out eh?
    No problem. I did the same thing in a recent reply. It's like giving directions to your house- you have this picture in your mind that is totally familiar to you, and it is easy to leave out important details. While making sure he turns left at your street, you forget to mention that the street sign is blocked behind a bush or tree, which itself would be a great landmark.

In regards to the target of the universal block, I too was taught it's a good idea to catch the kicking leg above the knee closer to the thigh. Depending on the force behind the kick they could hyper exetend the knee a bit.
    Depending where and how you catch him, there are a lot of interesting possibilities. With enough penetration of his space, the dowmward component of the universal block can be a simultaneos groin strike. I also caught one workout partner with an elbow strike inside and at the base of his quad. I won't tell you what he called me... . Stoping the kick above the knee really upsets his worl for a moment. Ballance, structure, momentum, everything is gone and he's trying to recover it with one hand in his face, the other arm striking the groin, and he's on one leg. That's hard to do even in technique practice.

Thanks

...an elbow to the quad!? Ouch! I know that hurt. lol I can see how that could happen though....hmmmmmm. I wonder....well, class starts back on Tuesday......lol.

I never considered executing a groin strike off the universal block before. That's an interesting idea. I'll have to play around with that as well. I would think range would be the main factor in whether or not you would be able to execute it. Do you transition into a forward bow?

Thanks

I never considered executing a groin strike off the universal block before. That's an interesting idea. I'll have to play around with that as well. I would think range would be the main factor in whether or not you would be able to execute it. Do you transition into a forward bow?
    Timeing, penetration/range and angle of incidence are the critical factors that determine what you can do with this. If that knee gets up and around before you are well under way, you won't get in at all. Me and my partner worked this technique a lot- almost any technique that was majorly modified in the new school got tore apart and compared so we could test the relative advantages. In fact, that's how he got the elbow strike. I got in good, but the kick wasn't as high as I thought and I was adjusting the left upper blocking arm (very rapidly) as I hammerfisted his groin with the downward block and settled into my stance. The stance is a right neutral bow, then you transition to a left forward bow or close kneel as you deliver the left obscure elbow to his chin.

This way is a lot quicker, and I've always liked it. We used to practice it both ways. Steping in was practiced as a modification or changeup. But the ideal phase with the step up the circle teaches a lot of concepts, and the curiculum builds on it later. So we were happy to adopt the "new" (to us, any way) method as ideal.

Edit: Thinking about this, a forward bow might work.You could get better penetration of his space. The universal block is seperated any way if you are double striking, or strike and check. It would be a little moreso with a forward bow. Not sure about getting the block on the leg, and the angle might not be good for an upward elbow (do something else?). Also, if you do take a knee strike, the stance wouldn't have much lateral stability. Then again, the neutral bow isn't much better in that respect. Either way, you'll have to step behind with your left to 4:30- back to base tech! Try it and let me know how it works out.

Sorry for the ramble, but I'm on a sugar high. Should know better than to get on a forum like this, eh?
    Last edited by thedan; 12-26-2005 at 06:05 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links