Thread: Snaking Talon Extension

Thanks

Default Snaking Talon Extension

This is sort of related to the favorite technique thread.

My friend and I were discussing the extension of snaking talon.

I'm going to ask Larry about this when he comes for a seminar in a few weeks, but I thought I'd get your input here first.

Why, on the extension, would you go down on one knee?

I understand they're supposed to be bouncing off a wall, but why on earth would you go down on the ground, only to get up again?

Is this a 'what if I fell on my butt' move?

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Snaking Talon Extension

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    I understand they're supposed to be bouncing off a wall, but why on earth would you go down on the ground, only to get up again? Is this a 'what if I fell on my butt' move?--Amy
    Reviving thread...
    Can any of the instructors out there answer this one?

"Bueller... Bueller...."
    The truly educated never graduate.
    "To understand the heart & mind of a person, look not at what they have already achieved, but what they aspire to do." -Kahlil Gibran

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gin-Gin2
    Reviving thread...
    Can any of the instructors out there answer this one?

"Bueller... Bueller...."
    Umm sorry I haven't learned that one yet.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Default Re: Snaking Talong Extension

I'd like to know also: it doesn't seem to be a sound tactic; but there may very well be a good explanation.

AMY: Please share with us if and when you get to find out.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Thanks

Hello Everyone,

Snaking Talon is a great technique, and yes I think one could pull off the extension, but I'll be the first to say, it wouldn't be my first choice of options!

Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Thanks

I asked Mr. Tatum about this one and he said that it teaches you how to go down and get back up. Maybe in case you fall?

I suspect it's one of those hideous 'category completion' techniques that either doesn't work well or teaches something odd to complete a category.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Unless, like in the real world, you slipped when trying to duck a punch, turned your ankle as you moved off line, were attacking a midget (small person) with an attitude <no insult intended for the vertically challenged>

-Michael
    “The superior man cultivates a friendly harmony, without being weak.—How firm is he in his energy! He stands erect in the middle without inclining to either side.—How firm is he in his energy!”
    ~Confucius

Kenpo-Texas.com

AKTS.US

Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 909 Posts

Sorry, I've never seen or heard of this extension so I'm afraid I couldn't be much help.

As a matter of fact we've altered the technique itself and do not perform it in the traditional sense any more.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler

As a matter of fact we've altered the technique itself and do not perform it in the traditional sense any more.
    Could you explain how you guys teach it?

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I know this one had me wondering as well... um why are we doing this? Well, after getting comfortable with the extension, it does show me what I'm capable of if ever in a situation where I'm down in that position, but I can think of NO situtation where I would conciously go from an upright positive position to being down like that ... unless I was forced to go there.
    Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    I asked Mr. Tatum about this one and he said that it teaches you how to go down and get back up. Maybe in case you fall?

I suspect it's one of those hideous 'category completion' techniques that either doesn't work well or teaches something odd to complete a category.

--Amy
    I've also seen this technique performed a bit differently...

Instead of dropping back as you pin block and snake through... one school teaches to step back and 'swat' or slap the arms in a crossing motion before they make contact with you and then snake through, regrab, kick ... BUT don't plant forward towards your opponent.. instead plant back almost into a right front cross and then bounce back w/ right back kick as you pull them in.
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

SUPPORT KENPOTALK:http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/payments.php

Thanks

I've been playing with: After the rear kick in the base move, plant forward right and do a left armbar/break in a forward bow causing the opponent to step forward with left foot. Then you can do a left ball kick to their left thigh and the right rear kick, all from a standing position.

Then it maintains the movements without the dumb part.

--Amy

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links