Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Attention Gap

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

Default Attention Gap

In an article posted in another thread (Meditation Sharpens the Mind) the researchers were measuring the efficacy of meditation by measuring the gap in subject's attention to perceptions as their attention shifted from one thing to another.

I thought this was an important point form the original article, more os even than the idea that meditation can reduce your gap.

So now has anyone (Dr LaTourette) ever worked on the offensive side of it? Inducing attentional gap. Dr. Crouch, this also reminds me of something you wrote about "making a cashier lose her register" which you never really got into any detail on...

I don't imagine this is as simple as "Look at the birdie!" at least not on an attacker who is older than 7 years old LOL. So what can you do to fixate the other's attention enough so that this gap is created? I think the best traps would even be non-visible.

What do you think?

-David

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Re: Attention Gap

I always liked "Your shoes untied."

Would you think "smack-talk" would have an affect? Or any method of illiciting a negative emotional response in the attacker?

I'm very interested to see what everyone has to say about this. Good idea for a thread!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

Anything can be outstanding enough to hold their attention to the past, and you only need hold that attention long enough to have them fixate on another. Just control their attitude.
    sean

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoChanger View Post
    Anything can be outstanding enough to hold their attention to the past, and you only need hold that attention long enough to have them fixate on another. Just control their attitude.
    sean
    What methods would you employ to do this?
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Talking Re: Attention Gap

Well I have found that in my training and working scenerios.......WOW LOOK A QUARTER! Wait a minute, what were we talking about?
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

Thanks

As I thought more about this, I realized that Kenpo is a defensive art. The attacker attacks, we respond. We need to recognize the gaps created by his attack, and use them to end any conflict before it goes any further.

Unlike in for example, a kendo match, there is no need for us to create the gap that will allow a successful attack - the attacker provides it by attacking. Also I think this is a crucial difference between sparring and fighting. Often in sparring attackers are more concerned with closing their own defenses than with attacking with full commit. So , this is why I think nobody had any good answers LOL

===================================

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCC View Post
    In an article posted in another thread (Meditation Sharpens the Mind) the researchers were measuring the efficacy of meditation by measuring the gap in subject's attention to perceptions as their attention shifted from one thing to another.

I thought this was an important point form the original article, more os even than the idea that meditation can reduce your gap.

So now has anyone (Dr LaTourette) ever worked on the offensive side of it? Inducing attentional gap. Dr. Crouch, this also reminds me of something you wrote about "making a cashier lose her register" which you never really got into any detail on...

I don't imagine this is as simple as "Look at the birdie!" at least not on an attacker who is older than 7 years old LOL. So what can you do to fixate the other's attention enough so that this gap is created? I think the best traps would even be non-visible. -David
    Yep.

Virtually EVERY WAZA has this concept in it.

The concept is very well expressed in the hypnotic hand-shake interrupt pattern, and is easily used many different ways as a break state to capture their mind prior to an attack.

In fact I've also devised several "energy attacks" that create the same momentary break states, done energetically.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Thanks

As I thought more about this, I realized that Kenpo is a defensive art. The attacker attacks, we respond. ==
    Ha-ha-ha.

NOT my Kenpo Karate.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    What methods would you employ to do this?
    Just about any thing linguistically..."remember a time when you got your butt kicked really bad..."

...also, in their energy fields they have specific locations for "good decision", "bad decision", "feel bad", "feel good", and you can have them access those past feeling unconsciously and then zap them when they are unconsciously age regressed.

And there are the unconsious anchors they have already hardwired into their neurology. Red like. Green light. Certain hand gestures. Thousands of them.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Thanks

Would you think "smack-talk" would have an affect? Or any method of illiciting a negative emotional response in the attacker?

I'm very interested to see what everyone has to say about this. Good idea for a thread!
    Even a smile will cause them to pause a brief second or two.

You can also trigger their Radiant Energy "feel good" pattens with certain hand gestures.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Tony? Tony have you seen my brother? Tony have you? I need to tell him that my car is made of peanut butter. Again! This is the third time! Where is my brother? Answer me Tony.

Thanks

Well,

Chuckie baby used to make good friends with everyone else.

Shake hands, hug them, clap them on the back. Use that smile.

So they 'liked' him.

And that liking him was to their detriment.

And the judges liked him, which was to the detriment of the other participant.

It was a purposeful tactic done by him to manipulate both the judges and referee, and the other participants.

It worked.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Thanks

Hummm?

I actually produced a 3 video series on this about 12 years back called "Secrets of Stealing His Spirit Before Battle".

The second part with Doc D is done with confusion tactics where you access their primary sensory system, and then you do something to throw it into confusion.

For example "high visuals" normally store lots of little pictures of what they are talking about just infront of their face about 2-4 feet infront of them.

While they are talking you can reach up and brush those pictures away as you say, "Have you ever had everything that you are thinking about just disappear, like right NOW, and no matter how HARD you try, they are GONE, gone, gone!"

Of course I'd never "use them" all the time.

Many many different examples.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Kaur View Post
    Tony? Tony have you seen my brother? Tony have you? I need to tell him that my car is made of peanut butter. Again! This is the third time! Where is my brother? Answer me Tony.
    1. A confusion tactic.

2. Most people do NOT want to hit the insane.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

15. The Following User Says Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

Carol (05-22-2007)

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John M. La Tourrette View Post
    1. A confusion tactic.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette
    Bingo

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Carol For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (05-23-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,427 Posts

Hummm?

I actually produced a 3 video series on this about 12 years back called "Secrets of Stealing His Spirit Before Battle".

The second part with Doc D is done with confusion tactics where you access their primary sensory system, and then you do something to throw it into confusion.

For example "high visuals" normally store lots of little pictures of what they are talking about just infront of their face about 2-4 feet infront of them.

While they are talking you can reach up and brush those pictures away as you say, "Have you ever had everything that you are thinking about just disappear, like right NOW, and no matter how HARD you try, they are GONE, gone, gone!"

Of course I'd never "use them" all the time.

Many many different examples.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette
    $$$

The only good part about you giving away money-maker seminar tidbits is that, without the Milton Model, VAKOG linguistic and paralinguistic indicators, meta-programs, and Master Pract level submodality training, most won't be able to suss what the heck you're referring to.

One I used happily bouncing (yes, I often cheated and hit first, especially when there was more than one guy), was the old, "What do you do when you see a red light *now*?" (you can even hold up your left palm for them to look at when you emphasize the part in bold, pointing to it with your right finger, instructing them essentially to see the light superimposed over the very small movie screen of your hand). Watch for the pupils to dilate a bit as the gaze turns inwards, and pop him while in trans-derivational search; grill, nuts or guts, won't matter. His attentional shields are so down in that 1/4 second (and hence, so too his unconscious internal body tensions that help him prepare for clashes of contact in the midst of an argument), that strike penetration will go deeper then you might have imagined, with devastating effect.

Sure they may see it coming, but peripheral attention (note: peripheral attention, not peripheral vision) won't catch it and communicate about it to the parts that matter in time to do anything about it.

D.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

MooseKenpo (06-13-2007),thedan (05-28-2007)

Thanks

Talking wow, now your talking secrets

You guys are going to get me fired, leaving this powerball-jackpot-size pile of golden martial nuggets for me!!!! How am I supposed to get any work done now ?!?!!? I love this board.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to DavidCC For This Useful Post:

Carol (05-22-2007)

Thanks

1. A confusion tactic.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette
    "I may not know karate...but I know crazy!"

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

Carol (05-23-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

Ha-ha-ha.

NOT my Kenpo Karate.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette
    Yes, even your Kenpo.
    Sean

Thanks
    Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,427 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoChanger View Post
    Yes, even your Kenpo.
    Sean
    I argued about this once with an old kenpo prof. I was complaining that kenpo required me to stand there and wait for something to happen (I was about 17 at the time, which made his response all the more shocking).

He took a long drag off his pipe, and exhaled the smoke while pensively saying, "You walk onto a football field, and see your wife being raped at knifepoint by a thug at the far end, while his partner is about to do the same thing to your 3 year old daughter. Are you telling me you're not going to race accross that field like a bat out of hell, and figure something out once you get there? Are you a.c.t.u.a.l.l.y. telling me that you're just going to run up to them, stand there, and wait for them to throw something at you?"

Kenpo is merely a tool; offensive or defensive depends on how we're willing to cultivate it. We have the ability to force the issue with a non-attacking opponent, it's just not typically taught as such for ethical and professional reasons. A claw hammer can be used to build a house, or empty a skull of its contents. Just a tool.

Regards,

D.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

MooseKenpo (06-13-2007),thedan (05-28-2007)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links