Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coordination Set 1

Thanks

Default Coordination Set 1

My instructor and I have a difference of opinion about this set. Naturally, I'll teach it however he wants, but I'd like some other opinions about which way is more common.

The basic sequence is: outward block, punch same hand, forward bow punch opposite hand, kick and punch same time, plant back with forward bow punch. Repeat.

The questions are: 1. Vertical punch or horizontal punch?
    2. When you do the last punch, do you plant and then punch or plant/punch at the same time?

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to amylong For This Useful Post:

Brother John (06-22-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: Coordination Set 1

When I teach it, it is always horzintal punch and plant/punch at the same time. I also have an inward block before the outward block with the opposite hand.

For those unfamilar with this set here is a link to a thread with a break down July 2006 Set of the Month - Coordination Set I
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

I was taught to start with a vertical block and with the plant/punch at the same time
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    When I teach it, it is always horzintal punch and plant/punch at the same time. I also have an inward block before the outward block with the opposite hand.
    Diddo.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad

For those unfamilar with this set here is a link to a thread with a break down July 2006 Set of the Month - Coordination Set I
    Same here.
    "Drummers are just the guys who hang out with musicians" - Huk Planas

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

Oh, another set I don't really love, at all.

We execute horizontal punches and do the final punch with the plant.

Here is my guess as to 'Why' we execute these actions in this way ....

In this set, we are executing the punches 'almost' at full extention. We cock our hand at our hip 'palm up'. As we execute a punch, that palm up rotates inward to add torque to the punch. As the range away from the hip increases, the rotation of the fist drives through the vertical to the horizontal, eventually to that inverted position (the punch at the end of Grip of Death - although that is on a downward trajectory).

Because these punches are close to full range, we should be using the Horizontal punch.

If we think about the final punch, when it occurs will depend on what stance are in when the kick is finished. We begin to execute the kick from a forward bow. I don't know if this means we should land in a forward bow or not, although that is what we do in our school. Because we land in a forward bow, we execute the punch with the foot being planted.

If we were to end that kick in a Neutral Bow, we could then demonstrate the application of the Torque Power Principle, with the BASE - PIVOT move; executing the punch after landing in a Neutral Bow.

When you complete the kick, in which stance do you land?

I'm wondering if there is a Kenpo rule about what stance is appropriate at the end of a kick? Does the method of execution of the kick drive that rule? Hmmm .... something to think about.

Mike

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

More great insights Mike. You will make an amazing instructor one day very soon.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I have been taught by my instructor that a horizontal punch is a misaligned punch and lacks sufficient structure to be most effective. Misaligned in this case basically means where the elbow, forearm and wrist have rotated too far out of the punch. In our tests this 'flat punch' is weakest at its full rotation (i.e. horizontal). To this end we execute a 'diagonal' punch in place of a horizontal for added structure in the arm and shoulder.

On a second note, I believe the choice of strike in the coordination set very much depends on how one executes the outward-vertical blocks. I have seen some block quite 'low' in this set - where the elbow is anchored low down near to the body. It appears the intention is almost to block and chamber for the punch at the same time. We don't block like this in our school - our outward-verticals are aligned so that the elbow is at shoulder height and the fist over the top of our head, so that if we punched from this position it (the punch) wouldn't be very strong because we would be rotating the punch down to the target rather than coming from a chambered position. Experiments with outward-horizontal heel-palms seem quite successful in place of a punch.

And we strike/plant at the same time at the end...

james

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JamesB For This Useful Post:

thedan (06-30-2007)

Thanks

I don't know where I got the plant and then punch thing. I was a kid when I learned it, so I may have just remembered it wrong.

I'll just have to adjust.

The joy of kenpo.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by michaeledward
    . . . .

As the range away from the hip increases, the rotation of the fist drives through the vertical to the horizontal, eventually to that inverted position (the punch at the end of Grip of Death - although that is on a downward trajectory).
    Ahh ... hey knucklehead .... don't you mean 'Grasp of Death'?

Quote Originally Posted by michaeledward
    Ah, Yeah .... sorry

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,947 Times in 5,598 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB
    I have been taught by my instructor that a horizontal punch is a misaligned punch and lacks sufficient structure to be most effective. Misaligned in this case basically means where the elbow, forearm and wrist have rotated too far out of the punch. In our tests this 'flat punch' is weakest at its full rotation (i.e. horizontal). To this end we execute a 'diagonal' punch in place of a horizontal for added structure in the arm and shoulder.

On a second note, I believe the choice of strike in the coordination set very much depends on how one executes the outward-vertical blocks. I have seen some block quite 'low' in this set - where the elbow is anchored low down near to the body. It appears the intention is almost to block and chamber for the punch at the same time. We don't block like this in our school - our outward-verticals are aligned so that the elbow is at shoulder height and the fist over the top of our head, so that if we punched from this position it (the punch) wouldn't be very strong because we would be rotating the punch down to the target rather than coming from a chambered position. Experiments with outward-horizontal heel-palms seem quite successful in place of a punch.

james
    Those lessons in the Uk are really paying off. Correct on all counts sir. The so-called 'horizontal punch' is really not a punch at all from an anatomical perspective. Mr. Parker always told me it is the 'follow through' of a punch, and the actual punch is at the diagonal as you describe it. Therefore if you are following the natural rotation of the executed punch, when you reach the horizontal position, you should have already completed the punch. The extention or horizontal position is utilized extensively in SL-4 Kenpo as a momentary "Brace," (Contact Manipulation) after the fact.

Although many do not like this superficially 'simple' set, it is quite sophisticated with many layers of information and lessons built in, much like the much overlooked "Short One.' When you begin to add all the BAM's, PAM's, Indexes, Double and Triple Check applications inherent in its proper execution, it becomes quite effective in actual use.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (07-19-2007),thedan (06-30-2007)

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt

AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Smile Re: Coordination Set 1

Quote Originally Posted by amylong View Post
    My instructor and I have a difference of opinion about this set. Naturally, I'll teach it however he wants, but I'd like some other opinions about which way is more common.

The basic sequence is: outward block, punch same hand, forward bow punch opposite hand, kick and punch same time, plant back with forward bow punch. Repeat.

2. When you do the last punch, do you plant and then punch or plant/punch at the same time?

--Amy
    Here is the version that I learned and have taught for nearly 25 years.

COORDINATION SET #1

OPENING: ATTENTION STANCE. BOW. DROP INTO A MEDITATING HORSE STANCE.

SET 1:

1. Have your right foot drop back toward 6 o'clock into a left neutral bow, facing 12 o'clock, as you execute a left vertical outward block. While blocking have your right hand cock on your right hip (fist clenched, palm up).

2. From your left neutral bow execute a left straight horizontal punch toward 12 o'clock at shoulder level.

3. While in place, pivot into a left forward bow as you execute a right straight horizontal punch toward 12 o'clock at solar plexus level. Simultaneous with this punch have your left hand cock on your left hip (fist clenched, palm up).

4. From your left forward bow, execute a right front snap ball kick toward 12 o'clock at knee level, simultaneous "with" a left straight horizontal punch toward 12 o'clock at lower rib level. While executing this punch-kick combination, have your right hand cock on your right hip (fist clenched, palm up).

5. As you replant (without any lose of motion) your right foot toward 6 o'clock to its Point of Origin, in a transitional close kneel and you positionally check with your left hand forward and recock your right hand to your side, rotate your body clockwise to a neutral bow then quickly rotate counter clockwise and simultaneously execute a right straight horizontal punch toward 12 o'clock at solar plexus level whle setteling into a forward bow stance (this is all done in a smooth transition form the one leg posture and ending into the forward bow stance ). While punching, have your left hand cock on your left hip (fist clenched, palm up).

Repeat all other directions.

GD7
    * Why is there always time to do it over, when there is never time to do it right?
    * K
    -knowledge E-enriches N-nice P-people O-only
    * All I ask for is ... Measurable Progress in Reasonable Time .....
    * Time will either Promote you or Expose You!
    * There are two ways of spreading the light.... 1]. to be the candle or 2]. the mirror that reflects it!
    * It's not what you take with you when you go....... but rather what you leave behind!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenOne View Post
    5. As you replant (without any lose of motion) your right foot toward 6 o'clock to its Point of Origin, in a transitional close kneel and you positionally check with your left hand forward and recock your right hand to your side, rotate your body clockwise to a neutral bow then quickly rotate counter clockwise and simultaneously execute a right straight horizontal punch toward 12 o'clock at solar plexus level whle setteling into a forward bow stance (this is all done in a smooth transition form the one leg posture and ending into the forward bow stance ). While punching, have your left hand cock on your left hip (fist clenched, palm up).

GD7
    It's this last one that interests me. This sounds closer to how I originally learned it. I'd like to see that one in action. Do you have a clip of it? I learned it when I was 12 or so and that was a painfully long time ago.

I remember that there was a half-beat pause before throwing the last punch. Anyone have any video? Some things are easier to get when you see it.

Thanks!!!

--Amy

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook View Post
    Diddo.
    Also taught the same, to plant and punch at the same time

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

--Amy
    The way I was taught, the way I do it and the way I teach it...
    1. Horizontal punch.
    2. Punch AS you plant (same instant).

I really LOVE Coordination Set One. Strange thing is, I can't say WHY. I just do, it's fun to do. In fact, I get so into it that I've made it into one of my "Cardio" elements to take the monotony (sp?) out of just jogging or just riding my bike... doing this set OVER and OVER....
    fun workout.
    Probably as close as I'm going to get to Tae-Bo.

Your Brother (with Abs MUCH less cut than Billy Blanks)
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

--Amy
    Same time.

Thanks

I don't know where I got the plant and then punch thing. I was a kid when I learned it, so I may have just remembered it wrong.

I'll just have to adjust.

The joy of kenpo.

--Amy
    Its more powerfull to plant then punch but that is not the lesson.
    Sean

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

The way I was taught has one extra move.

When we land from the kick/punch combination we fall back into a neutral bow with a lead hand outward block. Then we do the forward bow punch, horizontal on all punches.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post

james
    Part of the beauty of coordination set is when you realize all of your punches have a natural outward block and that you are better of bringing them up through the middle; so, bringing your elbow up to head level defeats that particular lesson. All your blocks should feel like a chamber.
    Sean
    Last edited by KenpoChanger; 06-25-2007 at 05:29 PM.

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoChanger View Post
    Part of the beauty of coordination set is when you realize all of your punches have a natural outward block and that you are better of bringing them up through the middle; so, bringing your elbow up to head level defeats that particular lesson. All your blocks should feel like a chamber.
    Sean
    Not all punches have a natural outward block. And the outward-vertical block is at it's most effective when executed with the elbow aligned at shoulder height (not head-height) as I already explained. You read my post before responding, right?

'All blocks should feel like a chamber' - hmmmm well thats so open-ended how should anyone respond? If you want to train like that then go right ahead, just don't expect everyone else to follow suit when there alternative training methods.

I vote for palm-heels instead of punches for this set, with properly executed outward-blocks at shoulder level for maximum effectiveness.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to JamesB For This Useful Post:

thedan (06-30-2007)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links