Thread: Brushing the Storm Extension

Thanks

Default Brushing the Storm Extension

I was looking at the Brushing the Storm Extension. I didn't see it listed in the reference library, but those of you who know it might perhaps be able to answer my question.

I've seen it done two ways. Mr. Tatum does the extension with an elbow to the kidney while dropping into a closed-kneel stance and grabbing the attacker's left leg. First question: Why use an elbow there? Even he looked like he was bending over when he was showing it. I hate to bend in any technique. Why not use a palm? That seems a little more natural.

Then he flips the attacker over before doing the various kicks. What's the advantage of flipping over the attacker? I notice that several of the extensions involve flipping over the attacker and that's not something I prefer to do, due to size and weight issues. In some techniques, like Squatting Sacrifice, I see the advantage, but in this one, not so much.

Opinions?

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

Default Re: Brushing the Storm Extension

I sent Larry this question and this was his response:

Hi Amy,

OK the Art gives examples throughout.

Dance of Death teaches you how to flip your attacker on his stomach so you can attack from the dark (zone of obscurity).

So now you have the example of flipping an attacker on his back. When you have examples you then have choices, like you just said in you letter that you didn't like exsposing him to your action.

But then again it may be a good reason to fip him over to see if he has pulled a knife out or another weapon that is kept hidden when he is face down.

Once again you've answered your own question Amy, you have determined that your size is not an advantage for you when you try and flip someone over.

The do's and don'ts that one learns from the Art is what gives them insight into what they need to glean from the Art.

But a don't can be a do for another Kenpoist and a do can be a don't as well.

Hope this helps,

Larry
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

hey that's great! I only learnt this technique very recently (brushing-the-storm-ext) so I don't really have anything to offer on this. But I think your original thoughts, plus the insights provided by Mr Tatum says to me that the extensions could be viewed as focussing more on tactical considerations/options rather than on an absolute 'correct' way to do execute a technique.

However the extensions do strike me as a departure from the techniques in the previous curriculums. They provide methods of kicking/striking/blocking/stance-transitions which contradict the teachings of previous techniques. Whether this is intentional or not I don't know. I guess the thing to do is focus what you like but take into consideration those bits that you don't..

Thanks

While the extensions utilize many of the rearranged movements already contained in the base techniques, they uniquely show how upper body principles can also be applied to the lower half of the body. For example, you will see more leg sweeps and buckles in the extensions than were previously done in the base techniques. With compounded variables of foot maneuvers and timing, the techniques become more advanced. From this perspective, much of the extensions involves new material and gives instructors the opportunity to evaluate different ways the techniques can be performed.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    While the extensions utilize many of the rearranged movements already contained in the base techniques, they uniquely show how upper body principles can also be applied to the lower half of the body. For example, you will see more leg sweeps and buckles in the extensions than were previously done in the base techniques. With compounded variables of foot maneuvers and timing, the techniques become more advanced. From this perspective, much of the extensions involves new material and gives instructors the opportunity to evaluate different ways the techniques can be performed.
    Thankyou for your insights here - actually I'd never appreciated that the extensions might be designed from an instructor's point of as well as the student's. I'd certainly noticed more sweeps+buckles in the extensions at any rate. When you say upper+lower body being combined, I believe you mean this to be strikes (upper body) and sweeps/kicks (lower body) executed at the same time, which appear (to me) to be more isolated in the base techniques? i.e. in a base technique you would block then kick then strike, but in an extension one might block and kick at the same time?

thanks,
    James

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB
    Thankyou for your insights here - actually I'd never appreciated that the extensions might be designed from an instructor's point of as well as the student's. I'd certainly noticed more sweeps+buckles in the extensions at any rate. When you say upper+lower body being combined, I believe you mean this to be strikes (upper body) and sweeps/kicks (lower body) executed at the same time, which appear (to me) to be more isolated in the base techniques?
    thanks,
    James
    In many cases, yes, that is correct.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    I was looking at the Brushing the Storm Extension... What's the advantage of flipping over the attacker?
    personally, i consider the initial attack, the weapon, and how the attacker has been disarmed, then in this case, how to prevent the attacker from regaining control of the weapon while moving up the body to a zone of sanctuary.

Thanks

I was working this one today and I also have questions about the elbow to the kidney.

That doesn't make sense to me. Even on the tape, Mr. Tatum has to bend at the waist to reach. Kenpoists don't bend at the waist.

Why not use a medium range weapon like a palm? It seems to me that if you have done the kick to the supporting leg, in the base technique, that the person would at best be down on that knee, so grabbing that leg doesn't make sense. I could see doing a palm to the kidney or tailbone, unless they are too low for that, in which case perhaps a knee to the tailbone would work even better.

I was thinking too about the idea of flipping them over to see if they have a knife. I'm thinking, and I may be wrong about this, but if they have a knife, I'd rather they be lying on it. Perhaps even falling onto it.

I'd rather be stomping the heck out of them with the knife or gun or whatever tucked underneath them, then flipping them over giving them easier access to it.

--Amy

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links