Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grip of Death

Thanks

Default Grip of Death

I wanted to talk about Grip of Death.

Nature of the attack.

I had always thought that this was for a wrenching side headlock, perhaps someone who is trying to ram your head into a wall or something.

When I was in Vegas, Clyde said it was something totally different. He said something about a hip throw, but that just didn't sound right.

Maybe yes, maybe no.

What is your take on this?

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Question Re: Grip of Death

Hip throw? That doesn't sound right for the ideal phase. It would make a semi-decent what-if...kind of like a botched throw or something.

I'd be willing to play with it. The initial torque that the opponent uses to attempt the throw would play very well into borrowed forces. I think that I would alter the execution and target of the first move, though.

Sounds kinda interesting.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Grip of Death

Hmm with a hip throw your right arm is hooked behind your opponents left arm as you flip him which would make it very difficult if not impossible to do.
    I can see Grip of Death being done vs possible bulldog attack (where they get you in a headlock and drop to the ground on there butt while still holding you in a headlock)
    Just another Lifelong student Walking the Endless journey of Kenpo.(and Loving it)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I would not attempt that as a defense against a hip throw. IMHO it would not be very effective because of the body mechanics involved in both the execution of a hip throw and the maneuvers used as a defense against a side head lock.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Hmm, I'm pretty sure that any technique can be sufficiently altered to deal with any situation.

If this is for a botched throw, than your arm would be inside your opponents. Assuming that it is a toss without a sweep, Grip of Death should be useable.

Take it to the mat and find out for sure.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

A lot of un-educated people try throwing someone over there hip while they have them on a head lock, it happens because they do not happen to have the training that experienced grappler has.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

I didn't think that sounded right, but when Clyde grabbed me that way, he would've been able to throw me.

But then again, I know nothing of grappling.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Just prior to him throwing you did you check his right leg with your left leg ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth
    Just prior to him throwing you did you check his right leg with your left leg ?
    As in dropping on his calf? No, I just let him show me whatever point he wanted to show me.

--Amy

10. The Following User Says Thank You to amylong For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (08-07-2007)

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

it is really feasable to hiptoss someone from this position (person applying the head lock). in wrestling, this is a really good take down from the head lock.. (folk wrestling you need to have an arm in with the head lock, but the toss will work either way..).

if you drop to a closed kneele stance down on your opponets leg that is colsest to you it cancles his abailty to follow throught with the toss.. this is how i practice it... works for me.. and i could easly through someone from the headlock..
    "The sacraed rights of mankind are not to be rummaged for among old parchments or musty records. They are written, as with a sunbeam, in the whole volume of human nature, by the hand of the divinity itself, and can never be erased.""

Alexander Hamilton
    The Farmer Refuted (1775)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Do any of you do the strike (with your right hand) to the nose insert while raising your arms? You can also catch the mastoid in the back with your left- just make a bigger circle while raising your arms. These are just inserts and shouldn't take away from the main strikes to the kidney and groin shots. Just curious......and it might give the attacker something else to think about and keep him/her from trying to throw you if that is the intent.

Thanks

I don't raise my arms. I go from point of origin. But, I see how that could work. I could see a shot to the mastoid with the left and a sort of looping backfist that turns into the palm-heel strike.

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,941 Times in 5,595 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    I wanted to talk about Grip of Death.

Nature of the attack.

I had always thought that this was for a wrenching side headlock, perhaps someone who is trying to ram your head into a wall or something.

When I was in Vegas, Clyde said it was something totally different. He said something about a hip throw, but that just didn't sound right.

Maybe yes, maybe no.

What is your take on this?

--Amy
    Your description sounds right on the money to me. That is how I teach it. Perhaps someone will tell Mr. OBriant that "hips throws" (or O Goshi) are not accomplished through a headlock. The idea of a 'hip throw" is to drop your hips below your victims hips. Seizing him in a 'headlock' would preclude this action.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doc
    Your description sounds right on the money to me. That is how I teach it. Perhaps someone will tell Mr. OBriant that "hips throws" (or O Goshi) are not accomplished through a headlock. The idea of a 'hip throw" is to drop your hips below your victims hips. Seizing him in a 'headlock' would preclude this action.
    Exactly. The only way to "toss" someone from the position of the attacker in this technique would be to 'muscle' them down by the head!

Grappling to any extent, including throws, requires you to get up close and personal. You have to use strategic points of your own body as fulcrum points whether for executing a joint lock or a throw. You simply don't have the correct position to execute a hip toss from the position of the applied head lock in this technique because the defenders head is by the attackers flank with their hips off and behind the attacker.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

Brother John (06-22-2007)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    Exactly. The only way to "toss" someone from the position of the attacker in this technique would be to 'muscle' them down by the head!

Grappling to any extent, including throws, requires you to get up close and personal. You have to use strategic points of your own body as fulcrum points whether for executing a joint lock or a throw. You simply don't have the correct position to execute a hip toss from the position of the applied head lock in this technique because the defenders head is by the attackers flank with their hips off and behind the attacker.
    Very well stated sir.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

www.MSUACF.com

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Grip Of Death

Actually there is a Judo technique that is done from the headlock called Koshi Guruma. If you let your opponent get his hip inserted before you start to move, he can throw you over the hip or do a sit down without capturing your arm. Like every other grab technique that is in the system , you must move before your opponent actually has control of the situation.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doc
    I think Clyde should pose that question to his pals at Bullshido. They have been hammering him pretty good lately. One would think that with his disposition, he would fit in pretty well over there. I guess not.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MLKKA
    Grip Of Death

Actually there is a Judo technique that is done from the headlock called Koshi Guruma. If you let your opponent get his hip inserted before you start to move, he can throw you over the hip or do a sit down without capturing your arm. Like every other grab technique that is in the system , you must move before your opponent actually has control of the situation.
    Would you say that this technique is designed to defend against a hip throw primarily or is it just one of the things it works against?

--Amy

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Just one of the things that it would work against. As with all of the
    written grab techniques you must move before the opponent gets control of the situation. Awareness is the key.

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MLKKA
    Just one of the things that it would work against. As with all of the
    written grab techniques you must move before the opponent gets control of the situation. Awareness is the key.
    In your universe, what happens if you're not aware and you actually get grabbed? My experience suggests no matter how diligent you may be (aware), you either wack everyone that gets within striking distance of you, or you prepare for when you actually get gabbed because you can't wack everyone that looks like they might grab you.
    Last edited by Doc; 06-19-2006 at 06:28 AM.

www.MSUACF.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links