Thread: Piercing Lance

Thanks

Default Piercing Lance

Piercing Lance (Front- Right Knife Thrust, your Arms Up)
    1. An attacker at 12 o'clock comes at you with a right knife thrust.

2. Standing in a left neutral bow, with your hands raised, step your right foot to 7:30 as you simultaneously execute a right hooking outward downward parry to the outside of your attacker's right wrist, redirecting the weapon to 4:30. As your parry makes contact, execute a left palm parry to the outside of your attacker's right elbow. Slide your left hand to your attacker's right wrist and grab it.

3. Slide your right foot clockwise towards 1 o'clock into a left neutral bow to buckle your attacker's right leg with your right leg. (Your left hand is still grabbing your attacker's right.) Simultaneously execute a right back elbow strike to your attacker's right or left ribcage, depending upon how you line up to your attacker and what is available.

4. Instantly step your right foot counterclockwise to 8 o'clock into a right neutral bow as your right hand now changes place with your left by grabbing your attacker's right wrist (have your left hand form the shape of a crane and hook onto left side of your attacker's neck and throat.) Without any hesitation drop down into a left wide kneel facing 1 o'clock as you pull your attacker down with both of your hands forcing back of opponent's right elbow onto your left knee in order to cause an arm break. (Your left hand will fulcrum on top of your attacker's right shoulder and back.)

5. Grab your attacker's right wrist with your left and assist your right hand in twisting your attacker's wrist counterclockwise as you step your left foot back to 9 o'clock into a left wide kneel facing 9 o'clock. As you step, simultaneously have both of your hands force your attacker's knife (if they are still holding onto the knife) into your attacker's throat.

6. Grab your attacker's right wrist with your right hand. As you release your left hand grab, shift it so it grabs the back of your attacker's right hand (reverse it clockwise with your left palm facing away from you). As your left hand twists your attacker's right hand clockwise to sprain or break the wrist, wrap your attacker's left arm around your left leg. Rotate your left hand clockwise while pushing down on your attacker's right elbow with a right palm strike to possibly dislocate your attacker's right shoulder.

7. Regrab your attacker's right wrist with your right hand (clockwise and palm out; under your attacker's wrist) as your left hand releases its grab. Instantly pivot into a left reverse bow as your right hand maintains its grab and twists your attacker's arm clockwise. Simultaneous with the twist and pivot, execute a left palm strike to your attacker's right elbow to break (again).

8. Cock your left leg and execute a left heel stomp to the right side of your attacker's neck as both of your hands grab and pull up (toward you) on your attacker's arm to cause further shoulder dislocation.

9. Force your attacker's arm to the ground and execute a left front crossover stomp on top of your attacker's right wrist.

10. Cross out twice toward 4:30.

Okey dokey. How many of you are comfortable with the reaching over the knife, parry part?

I like the elbow. Love those elbows, but the first move makes me uncomfortable. Has anyone else had experience with knives and found a way to be comfortable with it?

Or to change it so it's a little safer?

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Piercing Lance

little diffrent from the way we do it but i have done it that way.. ending similar to falling falcon .. i like this technique..
    good pick amy

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

I really don't care much for the beginning either but it has merit to learn.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Amy, I think that anyone will probably feel kind of uncomforatble defending against any knife technique, but you need to remember that all these techniques are just a rearrangement of the basics, so as long as you learn the technique, so you may pass it on someday to someone else, there is nothing wrong with tailoring this technique to yourself. I think that Mr. Parker intended for his future students to be able to think for themselves, and as long as you treat these techniques as rearrangements of the basics then you will be just fine. I think Mr. Parker created techniques to give his students idea's. Just my opinion!
    If You Dont Want TO Do The Time, Then Dont Commit The Crime!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Badboyzz36
    Amy, I think that anyone will probably feel kind of uncomforatble defending against any knife technique, but you need to remember that all these techniques are just a rearrangement of the basics, so as long as you learn the technique, so you may pass it on someday to someone else, there is nothing wrong with tailoring this technique to yourself. I think that Mr. Parker intended for his future students to be able to think for themselves, and as long as you treat these techniques as rearrangements of the basics then you will be just fine. I think Mr. Parker created techniques to give his students idea's. Just my opinion!
    I completely agree with you. What I was asking was how people have changed the technique to feel more comfortable or safe with it. It seems to me that reaching over the knife that way is a good way to get cut.

--Amy

P.S. Oh, and welcome to KenpoTalk!
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Badboyzz36
    Good post and welcome to KenpoTalk
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    I completely agree with you. What I was asking was how people have changed the technique to feel more comfortable or safe with it. It seems to me that reaching over the knife that way is a good way to get cut.
    If our hands are up, and we assume a single-edge knife, isn't that a relatively safe way to deal with the knife? Wouldn't the aggressor would need to draw the knife back, and re-thrust, for the edge to reach a vital target?

Full disclosure, I have just learned all of the "Lance" and "Rod" techniques during this past year, so I am not real comfortable with what they are teaching yet.

I do find 'Piercing Lance' to be similar to 'Broken Rod' in that my initial movement is to get out of the way of the weapon. My motion puts me in a place of lower threat because of the way the attackers' arm bends.

Of course, were I ever faced with a knife, I would run away...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by michaeledward
    If our hands are up, and we assume a single-edge knife, isn't that a relatively safe way to deal with the knife?

Of course, were I ever faced with a knife, I would run away...
    Okay, first of all.....I'd run away too.

It seems that reaching over the knife would leave you pretty vulnerable to a slight turning of the knife or a hand movement where I'd get cut. I guess I'm not so sure that there is a safe way to deal with a crazy, knife-wielding maniac.

I think I'm just paranoid about getting cut. I think it would be in my best interest to not piss off anyone with a knife.

--Amy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

As mentioned, I have just learned these knife techniques. And we have done very little (no other) knife work at our studio. The one thing I have heard, over and over, is that if you get into a fight with a knife.... you are going to get cut. What is important, is that the cuts are not in vital areas.

Another thing we have heard : Do you know who the winner of a knife fight is? The guy left alive.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Amy, Here is a slight variation to Piercing Lance. My instructor Mr. Vigil told me to tell you that Kenpo is ever changing and if you have to adapt the technique to your height, strength, or physical ability then just rearrange you basics so that you are more comfortable with where you are in reference to the weapon being used against you. And you are never wrong if you just remember to move out of the way first. The rest is up to your level of Spontaneity. He told me to tell you “1000 times slow for 1 time fast”
    S = Simultaneous

S1. From a left neutral bow stance, step slightly to 11:00 with your left foot forming a modified left neutral bow stance facing 12:00.
    S1. Deliver a right outward downward diagonal parry to the outside of the opponent’s right arm.
    S1. Immediately grab the opponent’s right wrist with your left hand.
    S1. Slide your right foot around clockwise to 12:30 to form a right neutral bow stance acing 12:00.
    S1. Execute a right rear elbow strike to the opponent’s left kidney.
    S2. Step to 8:00 with your right foot (right front step through) forming a left neutral bow stance facing your opponent.
    S2. Grab your opponent’s wrist with your right hand. Your right thumb should be underneath with your palm facing away.
    S2. Execute a left outward horizontal handsword strike to your opponent’s trachea.
    S3. Lower your height zone by forming a left close kneel stance facing 2:30.
    S3. Rotate your opponent’s right palm upwards by turning your wrist toward yourself.
    S3. Form a left outward hooking crane hand around your opponent’s neck and drop your left elbow over and behind your opponent’s right shoulder as you pull vertically downward.

NOTE: Your opponent should fall straight down with his right elbow joint lying across your left bent knee. By applying downward pressure, you should hyper-extend oe dislocate your opponent’s right elbow joint.

NOTE: If your opponent has not released the weapon at this point, continue with the technique as described.

S4. Grab your opponent’s right wrist with your left hand and reposition your right hand to be in a standard wrist lock grip.
    S4. Execute a front-to-back switch by bringing your right foot next to your left and then stepping to 9:00 with your left foot.
    S4. Drop your right knee onto y our opponent’s right rib cage as you form a left wide kneel stance facing 9:00.
    S4. Thrust your opponent’s right wrist towards your opponent’s neck forcing the point of the knife into his trachea.

NOTE: The knife thrust could (and should) be omitted if your life is not seriously endangered.

S5. Re-grab your opponent’s wrist with your left hand by grabbing the back of his hand with your left thumb pointing towards his elbow.
    S5. Pull your opponent’s right arm around your left knee and apply pressure to his right elbow joint.
    S5. Execute a right downward thrust heel palm strike to your opponent’s right elbow joint.
    S6. Snake your right hand around your opponent’s right forearm counter clockwise and grab your opponent’s right bent wrist with your right palm facing upwards.
    S6. Grab your opponent’s right elbow with your left hand.
    S6. Pivot to form a left reverse bow stance.
    S6. Jerk upwards on your opponent’s right arm towards your right hip.
    S6. Thrust your left heel palm downward onto your opponent’s right elbow.

NOTE: the torque created in these actions will force your opponent to roll over onto his stomach, possibly dislocating his right shoulder.

S7. Execute a left downward stomp behind your opponent’s head.
    S7 Release the hold on your opponent.

8. Execute a left front crossover and double cover-out toward 4:30.

NOTE: Be sure to keep your opponent’s right elbow straight as you execute your right outward elbow strike. This is done by applying pressure to his elbow with your left outer rib cage.

THE QUSTIONS ARE “WHAT IF”

- Your arms are down when the opponent thrusts with the knife?
    - You miss your grab after your deflection?
    - You are un-able to pull your opponent down with a crane hook?
    - Your opponent attempts a back hand slash at you?
    - Your opponent thrusts with a knife in his left hand?
    If You Dont Want TO Do The Time, Then Dont Commit The Crime!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links