Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dance of Death

Thanks

Default Dance of Death

Dance of Death (Right punch)
    The attacker throws a straight right punch.
    Left to 11:00 with a left inward block.
    Right ridge hand to groin causing the attacker to bend forward.
    Track your left hand down his body to the back of the right knee as your head slides up the arm to check the elbow.
    Step through to 11:00 with your right and knee the attacker's inner thigh while you pull up on his leg, taking him down onto his back.
    As he tries to kick you, execute a right outward backfist to the inside of his right knee, circling to a right four-finger whip to the groin.

This is one of the descriptions I have for dance of death. It kind of leaves out some stuff.

Let's talk about Dance of Death -- the base move. Does anyone else have a more complete description of the move?

I'd like to talk about the elbow take-down. And some other aspects of it.

--Amy

The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Re: Dance of Death

Here's what I have from my notes:

Dance of Death
    DEFENSE: Right Step through punch
    STANCE: Left Neutral Bow
    1) Execute a left vertical inward block
    2) Push drag forward checking opponent’s right hand with your left as you execute a right ridge hand strike to opponent’s groin settling in a left close kneel
    3) Execute a right rising knee to the inside of opponent’s right thigh. This will unbalance your opponent and cause them to lift their right leg so that you can trap/catch it with your left hand.
    4) Bring your right leg back executing a buckle to opponent’s left leg simultaneously executing a right front elbow to opponent’s sternum effectively driving opponent to the ground
    5) Rotate your torso clockwise as you execute a right back knuckle strike to the inside of opponent’s left thigh (maintain control of opponent’s right leg with your left hand]
    6) Rotate counter clockwise executing a right hammer fist to opponent’s groin
    7) Reach across with your right hand to aid in the control of opponent’s right leg/foot. Rotate the opponent’s left leg clockwise turning them over onto their stomach.
    8) Execute a left scoop kick to opponent’s groin floating over into a left stomp kick to between opponent’s shoulder blades as you step to opponent’s right flank with your right foot
    9) Without leaving opponent’s body, execute a left stomp kick to opponent’s skull settling into a left close kneel trapping opponent’s head with your right knee
    10) Execute a right sword hand strike to the base of opponent’s neck (nose if head is turned to the left)
    11) Execute a right scoop kick to opponent’s head as you stand floating into a right side stomp kick to opponent’s head landing in a right front twist
    12) Explode out of the twist with a right side stomp kick to opponent’s head before exiting out.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Here is the written version of the base taked from the reference library here on KenpoTalk.

Dance of Death (Front- Right Straight Punch; their left leg forward)
    1. An attacker from 12 o'clock comes at you with a right punch while in a left foot forward fighting stance.

2. Step your left foot forward towards 10:30 into a left neutral bow facing 12 o'clock as you simultaneously execute a left inward block to your attacker's punch.

3. Immediately pivot into a left forward bow facing 12 o'clock as you maintain a left bracing angle check and execute a right reverse hand sword to your attacker's groin.

4. Switch your hands so your right is now high against your attacker's right arm and your left is low. Execute a right step-through knee kick to your attacker's groin. (This gets their weight shifted off their right leg so you can grab.)

5. Land in a right neutral bow facing 12 o'clock as you simultaneously execute a right inward elbow as you grab the back of your attacker's right knee and pull towards you.

6. Execute a right backfist to your attacker's left knee.

7. Drop into a right wide kneel stance and take advantage of marriage of gravity and execute a right inward handsword onto your attacker's groin.

8. Cross out towards 7:30.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

The "elbow takedown" must be done smoothly and in conjunction with the other maneuvers. This is, IMHO, a very advanced technique.

1) you must execute the knee strike to the opponents inside right thigh so they will "give" you thier leg. You don't want to upset your own balance by reaching down for it when attempting the take down. You want to remain balanced and in control.

2) In order to remain fluid and execute the takedown smoothly, you want to float back from the right knee strike and immediately execute the buckle/sweep to the supporting left leg without planting your right foot.

3) As the buckle/sweep takes place, tourque counter-clockwise executing the right forearm/elbow to the opponent's sternum (or any target in the upper quadrants)

When executed with proper timeing, this really gets the opponent "Horizontal" in mid air making thier landing all the more painful.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

One of the things I wanted to talk about was the left leg.

When you take the person down and have their left leg. I grab the left leg and make sure that the attacker's hip is off the ground to keep them from kicking you.

Anyone else do that?

I also punch that knee first. Another way to keep them from kicking you. The backknuckle to the knee is only if they are trying to kick you.

Keeping their hip off the ground will also keep that from happening and keeps the opponent from trying to pull their leg back and kick forward too.

Comments?

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

When I first learned this technique my first thoughts were Ouchi Gari (Greater inner reaping) from Ju Jitsu, however Kenpoist dont reap the right leg... I always found that made this technique more difficult than necessary.. any thoughts?
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    Here's what I have from my notes:

Dance of Death
    DEFENSE: Right Step through punch
    STANCE: Left Neutral Bow
    Interesting variation to this technique.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrBunny
    When I first learned this technique my first thoughts were Ouchi Gari (Greater inner reaping) from Ju Jitsu, however Kenpoist dont reap the right leg... I always found that made this technique more difficult than necessary.. any thoughts?
    A reap involves drawing your leg back which is counter productive when trying to advance.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    One of the things I wanted to talk about was the left leg.

When you take the person down and have their left leg. I grab the left leg and make sure that the attacker's hip is off the ground to keep them from kicking you.

Anyone else do that?
    I keep ahold of the right leg only. My right knee is positioned just above their right knee as well as turned into their leg while my left hand has their right ankle locked and pinned, and locked straight out against my body. My right foot most of the time is under their rear end .
    I drive directly through the attacker first with the knee lift, still driving through them with an elbow strikedown. No loss of momentum, as soon as I start the technique I do not finish until their leg is straightened out and locked against me.
    Also, my backknuckle punch is directly on the inside of the attackers left knee that continues into a four finger strike to the groin.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    A reap involves drawing your leg back which is counter productive when trying to advance.

yea, I had thought about the innertia thing... but i also tried it out a few times and found that after the innitial block and strok e tot eh groin it is possible to position yoruself below your opponents center of gravity before the reap thus your forward innertia has already settled. Hooking the opponent right leg and driving him tothe ground ( bassicly your description of step 4 and 5) I found that no matter how hard I tried .. and it is entirly possible that I am simply not lifting the right leg high enough... that their fall is a little unwieldy... when I add the reap to their remaining left leg with my right I am able to compleatly control their fall. Again .. this could be due to spending more time with Ouchi Gari..

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

Thanks

To control their descent make sure you are lifting the leg as you use your right forearm to leverage them back.

Thanks

Right... and what happens is that if their left leg is still their anchor that their body falls back at my 10:30 or 11 instead of my 12.

If I remove that left leg they drop harder and exactly at 12.

The only time I have gotten someone to go down smoothy without reaping is when you have an uke that falls cause they are supposed to fall.. never did like that.. you can controle a fall as to not slam someone without having them "let" you drop them.. ya know?

-JTHM

Thanks

This technique does not work if it is ripped apart section by section it is when and only when all the parts work together. The ridgehand to the groin to break their balance, the lifting of the leg as you leverage with the forearm as you step forward. This all takes them over very quickly.

Thanks

nods.. I'l keep playing with it. Honestly, it is probibly my love for reaping that is getting me... muscle memory keeps putting me in the perfect position for it.

-JTHM

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Right... and what happens is that if their left leg is still their anchor that their body falls back at my 10:30 or 11 instead of my 12.

If I remove that left leg they drop harder and exactly at 12.

The only time I have gotten someone to go down smoothy without reaping is when you have an uke that falls cause they are supposed to fall.. never did like that.. you can controle a fall as to not slam someone without having them "let" you drop them.. ya know?
    but you can also argue that when practicing this you dont actually hit your uke in the groin to have him bend over into the stepthrough right elbow/forearm & left downward chop to behind the left knee for the take down.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth
    Interesting variation to this technique.
    It's almost exactly the way Dan Inosanto executes it in "Game of Death."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gixxershane
    but you can also argue that when practicing this you dont actually hit your uke in the groin to have him bend over into the stepthrough right elbow/forearm & left downward chop to behind the left knee for the take down.
    Thats true.. I don't want to break my uke.. however there is a differance between putting you body into the position it should be in after each strike to simulate the technique and simply letting yoruself be thrown even if the technique is not done properly... which in my opinion is just as bad as an uke that has no reaction at all to where the strikes would be delivered. however we are now falling into a discussion of good uke vs bad uke.

-JTHM

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Thats true.. I don't want to break my uke.. however there is a differance between putting you body into the position it should be in after each strike to simulate the technique and simply letting yoruself be thrown even if the technique is not done properly... which in my opinion is just as bad as an uke that has no reaction at all to where the strikes would be delivered. however we are now falling into a discussion of good uke vs bad uke.
    this is verry true.. i help people take me down when they first get the technique.. but after they get the mechanics of it i make them take me down by makeing them go through me with the step through elbow and leg sweep..

what is reaping??? is it a form of a singl leg take down?? or double leg take down??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    It's almost exactly the way Dan Inosanto executes it in "Game of Death."
    I will watch it again.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gixxershane
    this is verry true.. i help people take me down when they first get the technique.. but after they get the mechanics of it i make them take me down by makeing them go through me with the step through elbow and leg sweep..

what is reaping??? is it a form of a singl leg take down?? or double leg take down??
    Without getting into too much detail a reap is basicaly using your leg to hook and remove an opponents base leg determined by moving his center of gravity.

-JTHM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links