Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: What if

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Default What if

Greetings,
    I am new to this site as far as posting. In all my research in restarting my path in the art I find it unfortunate that the Kenpo world is so fractured, mainly referencing the Parker Kenpo family. In further study the difference between Mr. Parker’s movement and execution of a technique is much different then “most”. So here is my “what if” question.

What if:
    If someone was able to show the Kenpo world how Mr.Parker achieve the power and speed would you support them revealing it or would it be better for them to keep it to themselves?

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Default What if

Greetings,
    I am new to this site as far as posting. In all my research in restarting my path in the art I find it unfortunate that the Kenpo world is so fractured, mainly referencing the Parker Kenpo family. In further study the difference between Mr. Parker’s movement and execution of a technique is much different then “most”. So here is my “what if” question.

What if:
    If someone was able to show the Kenpo world how Mr. Parker achieve the power and speed would you support them revealing it or would it be better for them to keep it to themselves?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,040 Times in 627 Posts

Default Re: What if

Quote Originally Posted by kenpostudent4life View Post
    Greetings,

What if:
    If someone was able to show the Kenpo world how Mr.Parker achieve the power and speed would you support them revealing it or would it be better for them to keep it to themselves?
    Welcome aboard
    Tradition is not about the preservation of the ashes, but about keeping the flame alive

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it".
    ~George Orwell
    Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way." Booker T. Washington

Thanks
    Thanked 1,040 Times in 627 Posts

I've got a question for you. ..why did you post the same question five times.???
    Tradition is not about the preservation of the ashes, but about keeping the flame alive

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it".
    ~George Orwell
    Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way." Booker T. Washington

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KirkS View Post
    I've got a question for you. ..why did you post the same question five times.???

It was posted in different forums..

as to the question posed.. as is with most things that would depend on your intention. What is most important to you? Developing a functioning system? Proving others wrong? Being known? Educating and enlightening others?

Problem with asking these questions is that few people would be willing to answer them honestly even to themselves. By posing the question in the first place begs the question of Have you done what you suggest and thus should you share it with the world?

I would say, post it, show what you have to offer, but understand that in doing so you have just opened yourself to critique and equal ridicule. Even if it is a successful system there will be those who mock it. Are you ready for that? Others of us may pick it apart and attempt to validate your interpretation. Are you ready to defend your ideals objectively?

answer those... and then take the next step.

Bunny
    Star Dragon likes this.
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 666 Posts

Don't know why you posted this is several fora ....

But, I know exactly how Mr. Parker achieved the power and speed.
    Body Mechanics and Application of the rules and principles of motion.

It's not difficult. Despite the fact that so few seem to be able to apply correct Body Mechanics and obey the rules and princples of motion.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to michaeledward For This Useful Post:

Doc (03-16-2016),HKphooey (04-07-2016),KirkS (03-15-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,583 Times in 2,189 Posts

Threads merged.
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jdinca For This Useful Post:

KirkS (03-15-2016),michaeledward (03-15-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by michaeledward View Post
    Don't know why you posted this is several fora ....

But, I know exactly how Mr. Parker achieved the power and speed.
    Body Mechanics and Application of the rules and principles of motion.

It's not difficult. Despite the fact that so few seem to be able to apply correct Body Mechanics and obey the rules and princples of motion.
    Nothing against Mike, here, but this is why you keep your mouth shut. Even if Mr. Parker did show you something everyone else missed, they wouldn't believe you.
    Also Mastering Tsing Tao.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KenpoChanger For This Useful Post:

Doc (03-16-2016),HKphooey (04-07-2016),KirkS (03-15-2016),nelson (03-15-2016)

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

I think the world would receive it from someone who could execute Kenpo with Mr. Parker's power and speed.
    Dave

"I consider that the spiritual life is the life of man's real self, the life of that interior self whose flame is so often allowed to be smothered under the ashes of anxiety and futile concern." - Thomas Merton

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kenpodave For This Useful Post:

TBroad (03-16-2016)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

It is my first time on this site and I have never posted on any forum before....so for lack of a better answer I was not sure how all this works

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Thank you all for your input, I hope to continue the conversation....I did not intend to offend anyone, just making an observation because the man (Mr. Parker) to this day has few equals. I have been fortunate to speak with and meet some seniors that actual worked with him for extended periods of time. In one of these conversations with a senior who I had actual first met in the 80's confirmed some of my observations as well as other seniors to whom I have developed a great respect for.

If a list where to be developed, who would be nominated to be on the list of those who are at the skill level of Mr Parker?

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Thank you for your input, my intent is not to offend at all

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Good response and counter questions....my own intention is just to improve in Kenpo and have a better understanding of the Mr Parker's art. If I can help along the way I will most defiantly do so. The intent of the question was only to start the conversation if there was that red pill out there that someone could offer would the Kenpo world in general be open to it.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to kenpostudent4life For This Useful Post:

KenpoChanger (03-16-2016)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Mr. Parker was certainly one of a kind. Not many people could start a system and have it endure for decades after their death.

What I would like more than someone with the skill level of Mr. Parker would be someone with the teaching ability of Mr. Parker.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ElizDVM For This Useful Post:

TBroad (03-16-2016)

Thanks

Good response and counter questions....my own intention is just to improve in Kenpo and have a better understanding of the Mr Parker's art. If I can help along the way I will most defiantly do so. The intent of the question was only to start the conversation if there was that red pill out there that someone could offer would the Kenpo world in general be open to it.

So that leads to the next question of intention.. I suppose this is a question for everyone.

Do you train so that you can be just like Mr. Parker was?

Personally I do not. Don't get me wrong, I have a great deal of respect for who he was and what he accomplished. However, I train in different ways, with different influences to improve myself but not to emulate.

Because of the individualistic nature of the art... and people for that matter. I do not think it possible or even wise to attempt to make comparisons between past present or future masters of the arts. I would suggest to simply appreciate them for who they are as we have them and move on.

It is folly to spend ones life attempting to find the perfect cherry blossom when they are, in their own way, all perfect.

Just a thought.
    The bunners

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MrBunny For This Useful Post:

Doc (03-16-2016),HKphooey (04-07-2016),KenpoChanger (03-16-2016),KirkS (03-16-2016),nelson (03-16-2016),Star Dragon (03-17-2016)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

I don't believe I train as Mr Parker did, but only try to understand the expression of the man in his art.

The individualistic nature of the art is true but it is based on principles (at least that is my understanding)...the fact that one is 5'4" verse the a 6'2" changes the need of the principles. Example the larger stronger person can "muscle" a technique negating the need for proper alignment, this course of action is not available to the smaller weaker individual.

The perfect cherry blossom can only be witnessed by the eyes willing to see ( I truly appreciate your point though).

I agree with your point and everyone is perfect in there own way from the perfect A hole to the perfect gentlemen.

Thanks

I don't believe I train as Mr Parker did, but only try to understand the expression of the man in his art.

The individualistic nature of the art is true but it is based on principles (at least that is my understanding)...the fact that one is 5'4" verse the a 6'2" changes the need of the principles. Example the larger stronger person can "muscle" a technique negating the need for proper alignment, this course of action is not available to the smaller weaker individual.

The perfect cherry blossom can only be witnessed by the eyes willing to see ( I truly appreciate your point though).

I agree with your point and everyone is perfect in there own way from the perfect A hole to the perfect gentlemen.

As a larger individual I know I can power through most people without technique.. but I choose to be absurdly aware of myself so that I do not. It is true that a smaller less strong (I don't like the term weaker as it has connotations) individual may not be able to power through as I can but they do have often a lower center of gravity, sharper elbows, and generally greater speed as they have less mass to move. So... six of one, half dozen of the other for advantage and disadvantage.

Case in point, I used to roll with this rat baste... errrr.... smaller younger gentleman.. who could tap me out regularly because he had greater flexibility, sharp pointy parts, and yes, he was more skilled than I was on the ground. He would wait for me to exhaust myself.. jerk....

As for principles.. I'm on the fence there.. and several of us on this board go back and forth about things like this... heel must be down for a bracing angle, throw out the bracing angle in lew of a modified bow, crossing your own center when in a reverse bow, PAM/BAM vs simply sinking into the stance, etc etc...

I still think that 80% of the disagreement is due to different terminology... pure issue of syntax. but for that 20%.. anyone who does not agree with me is simply wrong...

I jest of course... beyond that actually I would break that down into a further 15% of foundation is simply different in application, not better or worse.. but just different. The final 5% I would say is the principle that is so basic that noone even bothers to dispute it.

Why then are there systems that suck?.... because there are people who suck... suck at learning... suck at teaching... suck at introspection... or are simply terrible people who don't care as long as what they lie about makes them money.

Thoughts?

Bun-bun

-JTHM

25. The Following User Says Thank You to MrBunny For This Useful Post:

John Brewer (03-18-2016)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrBunny View Post
    Do you train so that you can be just like Mr. Parker was?

The bunners
    Of course not. I have heard that he was a large man and pretty athletic. I am a small woman, not a particularly gifted athlete. My kenpo will not be exactly like his kenpo. All I can do is try to learn the rules and principles of motion and apply them to my own training and abilities.

Liz

27. The Following User Says Thank You to ElizDVM For This Useful Post:

nelson (03-16-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    Wing Chung sorry for misspelled word!
    Wang Chun tonight, Wing Chun Tomorrow.

Thanks

If by chance I, Yang Chiun, you shall die for you insolence, white boy.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links