Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Sword of Destruction with a Twist

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 1,291 Posts

Default Re: Sword of Destruction with a Twist

Quote Originally Posted by Star Dragon View Post
    Due to some experimentation, I have somewhat changed my way of doing this technique since I wrote the OP above.

Seems like the most effective way to deal with a roundhouse punch is an extended outward block directed diagonally forward, intercepting the attacking arm just below the crook of the arm.

I do stick with the kick to the bladder area though. I have heard of too many instances when a groin kick was surprisingly ineffective, plus (if it's a rising kick) there is a chance that my leg could get trapped between the opponent's legs as the opponent reflexively brings them together. I know that many Kenpo practitioners aren't very comfortable with kicks in the first place, however, in my Shotokan days, I had a reputation for kicking people in the head, so a kick to the lower abdomen is low enough in my book.

The final chop may cut diagonally down onto LI-17 on the base of the neck, on a perpendicular line right under the ear lobe. I would let the chop sink in a bit before bringing the arm back up to guard my face, because that particular target works best with a certain degree of penetration. By now, I should be done and may cross out, but I am keeping my guard up just in case.

There is no extension for Sword of Destruction, but if I would indeed need to continue my counter attack, I may, instead of retracting the chopping arm, roll it into an elbow strike (sandwich). It goes without saying that there are many possibilities here, and I would let the artistic inspiration of the moment be my guide...
    OK, we aren't even doing the same technique.
    Also Mastering Tsing Tao.

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoChanger View Post
    OK, we aren't even doing the same technique.
    What are you doing differently?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Star Dragon View Post
    What are you doing differently?
    Over all, it should look like you a are a quarterback throwing a foot ball with his hand out and, and everything, but the kick, it different. We don't aim for the groin, but sort of the inside of his right thigh, right next to the groin, so that he turns to his right, a little as you spike that football into his neck.
    Sami likes this.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I throw the kick to the groin to bring him in and down as I chop...adding his weight moving slightly forward to the power of the strike. The right thigh would work, I suppose, though not in the same way. I feel the groin strike does more in the height/depth cancellation realm.

Worries about having your foot trapped by his reaction only apply if you are the slowest, laziest kicker ever...which I am not. You'd almost have to be trying to get trapped, I'd think. And I wouldn't worry too much about the varying levels of effectiveness, since even if it doesn't bother him much...the "last" strike is still coming for him as the intended "finishing move." Of course you have plenty of options if he's particularly stubborn.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SenseiRH View Post
    I throw the kick to the groin to bring him in and down as I chop...adding his weight moving slightly forward to the power of the strike. The right thigh would work, I suppose, though not in the same way. I feel the groin strike does more in the height/depth cancellation realm.

Worries about having your foot trapped by his reaction only apply if you are the slowest, laziest kicker ever...which I am not. You'd almost have to be trying to get trapped, I'd think. And I wouldn't worry too much about the varying levels of effectiveness, since even if it doesn't bother him much...the "last" strike is still coming for him as the intended "finishing move." Of course you have plenty of options if he's particularly stubborn.

We kick like an exaggerated step; so instead of picking up the knee, we pick the heel; so, we would take the knee, if we could; however, there is a little thing we do, which makes kick the groin bad, we hit him in the chest, with the left hand, with the outward extended block, which makes bending him over, a bad idea. You have rocked him back, so just go with rocking him back.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoChanger View Post
    We kick like an exaggerated step; so instead of picking up the knee, we pick the heel; so, we would take the knee, if we could; however, there is a little thing we do, which makes kick the groin bad, we hit him in the chest, with the left hand, with the outward extended block, which makes bending him over, a bad idea. You have rocked him back, so just go with rocking him back.
    Ours is an exaggerated step kind of thing as well...almost like catching yourself just before falling, which also adds power to an extent.

Interesting insert with the left hand. In that situation I'd be very tempted to finish with a sandwiching elbow, which I believe was previously mentioned by someone else.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links