Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Dim Mak Analysis of Checking the Storm

  1. #1
    Star Dragon's Avatar
    Star Dragon is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    436
    Thanks
    517
    Thanked 323 Times in 214 Posts

    Default Dim Mak Analysis of Checking the Storm

    This is a version of the well known technique with vital points that one might hit added. There are other possibilities as well. Needless to say, this is a description of an "ideal phase" application.

    Attack: Right "step through" vertical club strike. The defender is in a "natural stance".


    1. Step up the circle with the right foot approximately to 4:00 and assume a left 45° cat stance facing 10:30 with a left open handed extended outward block raking over the attacker's Pericardium-6 on his lower inner forearm. This is a typical Dim Mak set-up that will have a general weakening effect.
    2. To control and unbalance the attacket, seize his right hand using your left, and pull it to your left hip, while your thumb and fingers exert pressure on Lung-8 and Heart-6 on the wrist (towards the hand). This might cause the attacker to drop the club and will also further weaken him.
    3. Follow up with a left front ball kick to Conception Vessel-2, -3 and/or -4 in the bladder area. A kick here is as effective as a groin kick, according to some. All three "kyusho" have a connection to the Liver meridian, the latter two additionally to the Spleen meridian. Therefore, these meridians are now in a state of particular receptivity to strikes.
    4. Plant the foot down to a left twist stance facing 10:30, and use your right foot to scrape over Liver-7 on the inner leg right under the knee, employing a slicing knife-edge kick. This technique provides the correct direction of force for Liver-7. This is a good set-up for any major attack; specifically, it will unbalance the attacker and cause a sharp pain rising up to the ear. Note: If your kick misses Liver-7, it will probably hit Liver-8, Liver-9 or Spleen-10 on/over the knee, which will still be very effective.
    5. Set the foot down to a neutral bow and deliver a backfist strike to Gallbladder-3 in the temple area. This will most likely result in a knock-out; as the Gallbladder meridian is the "partner" of the Liver, all its points will be sensitized after the latter meridian has been struck.


    Please remember, hitting vital points can lead to unexpected damage both short term and long term, so don't play around with this. Always practice under the supervision of somebody skilled at treating any ill effects that might occur.

    Questions and comments welcome.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    SpoVaWA
    Posts
    4,387
    Thanks
    1,765
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

    Default Re: Dim Mak Analysis of Checking the Storm

    Quote Originally Posted by Star Dragon View Post
    This is a version of the well known technique with vital points that one might hit added. There are other possibilities as well. Needless to say, this is a description of an "ideal phase" application.

    Attack: Right "step through" vertical club strike. The defender is in a "natural stance".


    1. Step up the circle with the right foot approximately to 4:00 and assume a left 45° cat stance facing 10:30 with a left open handed extended outward block raking over the attacker's Pericardium-6 on his lower inner forearm. This is a typical Dim Mak set-up that will have a general weakening effect.
    2. To control and unbalance the attacket, seize his right hand using your left, and pull it to your left hip, while your thumb and fingers exert pressure on Lung-8 and Heart-6 on the wrist (towards the hand). This might cause the attacker to drop the club and will also further weaken him.
    3. Follow up with a left front ball kick to Conception Vessel-2, -3 and/or -4 in the bladder area. A kick here is as effective as a groin kick, according to some. All three "kyusho" have a connection to the Liver meridian, the latter two additionally to the Spleen meridian. Therefore, these meridians are now in a state of particular receptivity to strikes.
    4. Plant the foot down to a left twist stance facing 10:30, and use your right foot to scrape over Liver-7 on the inner leg right under the knee, employing a slicing knife-edge kick. This technique provides the correct direction of force for Liver-7. This is a good set-up for any major attack; specifically, it will unbalance the attacker and cause a sharp pain rising up to the ear. Note: If your kick misses Liver-7, it will probably hit Liver-8, Liver-9 or Spleen-10 on/over the knee, which will still be very effective.
    5. Set the foot down to a neutral bow and deliver a backfist strike to Gallbladder-3 in the temple area. This will most likely result in a knock-out; as the Gallbladder meridian is the "partner" of the Liver, all its points will be sensitized after the latter meridian has been struck.


    Please remember, hitting vital points can lead to unexpected damage both short term and long term, so don't play around with this. Always practice under the supervision of somebody skilled at treating any ill effects that might occur.

    Questions and comments welcome.
    Isn't 4:00, just behind me? How would I step up the circle?
    Also Mastering Tsing Tao.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    SpoVaWA
    Posts
    4,387
    Thanks
    1,765
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

    Default Re: Dim Mak Analysis of Checking the Storm

    Not that a Back Knuckle won't work, but it violates point of origin, or better said, makes you slower than a hook, or straight shot off the right side.
    Also Mastering Tsing Tao.

  4. #4
    Star Dragon's Avatar
    Star Dragon is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    436
    Thanks
    517
    Thanked 323 Times in 214 Posts

    Default Re: Dim Mak Analysis of Checking the Storm

    Quote Originally Posted by KenpoChanger View Post
    Isn't 4:00, just behind me? How would I step up the circle?
    You are right, of course. That should be 2:00. I would edit my post accordingly - if I could...

  5. #5
    Star Dragon's Avatar
    Star Dragon is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    436
    Thanks
    517
    Thanked 323 Times in 214 Posts

    Default Re: Dim Mak Analysis of Checking the Storm

    Quote Originally Posted by KenpoChanger View Post
    Not that a Back Knuckle won't work, but it violates point of origin, or better said, makes you slower than a hook, or straight shot off the right side.
    Since I am standing at a slight angle to the opponent and I throw my backfist without wind-up (more precisely, with short range fa-jing), it suits me fine.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Dragon For This Useful Post:

    KenpoChanger (10-04-2015)

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    SpoVaWA
    Posts
    4,387
    Thanks
    1,765
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

    Default Re: Dim Mak Analysis of Checking the Storm

    Quote Originally Posted by Star Dragon View Post
    Since I am standing at a slight angle to the opponent and I throw my backfist without wind-up (more precisely, with short range fa-jing), it suits me fine.
    Just so you know, you are choosing to be slower.
    Also Mastering Tsing Tao.

  8. #7
    Star Dragon's Avatar
    Star Dragon is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    436
    Thanks
    517
    Thanked 323 Times in 214 Posts

    Default Re: Dim Mak Analysis of Checking the Storm

    Quote Originally Posted by KenpoChanger View Post
    Isn't 4:00, just behind me? How would I step up the circle?
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Dragon View Post
    You are right, of course. That should be 2:00. I would edit my post accordingly - if I could...
    However, the term "stepping up the circle" implies that one is already standing on the circle, not in its centre - hence at 6:00. I recall experienced Kenpo instructors therefore getting confused about the "time". It would in fact be accurate to say that we step to 2:00 (or perhaps 2:30).

  9. #8
    Star Dragon's Avatar
    Star Dragon is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    436
    Thanks
    517
    Thanked 323 Times in 214 Posts

    Default Re: Dim Mak Analysis of Checking the Storm

    Quote Originally Posted by KenpoChanger View Post
    Just so you know, you are choosing to be slower.
    A split second, perhaps. It shouldn't matter too much, considering the condition we expect the opponent to be in by now. Plus, I get a nice Dim Mak follow-up, without even altering the manual.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Dragon For This Useful Post:

    KenpoChanger (10-04-2015)

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    SpoVaWA
    Posts
    4,387
    Thanks
    1,765
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

    Default Re: Dim Mak Analysis of Checking the Storm

    Quote Originally Posted by Star Dragon View Post
    A split second, perhaps. It shouldn't matter too much, considering the condition we expect the opponent to be in by now. Plus, I get a nice Dim Mak follow-up, without even altering the manual.
    You already altered the manual, by stepping to 2:00, but I do that too
    Also Mastering Tsing Tao.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to KenpoChanger For This Useful Post:

    Star Dragon (10-05-2015)

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    SpoVaWA
    Posts
    4,387
    Thanks
    1,765
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

    Default Re: Dim Mak Analysis of Checking the Storm

    This technique has us step to 3:00, because stepping to 3:00 is a life skill, that all of us normally have when we walk in the door. It is useful against an on coming: Train: Bicycle; Car: Jogger; And, hey, why not a club weapon, such as a coffee table.
    Also Mastering Tsing Tao.

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dundalk Md
    Posts
    1,713
    Thanks
    178
    Thanked 943 Times in 586 Posts

    Default Re: Dim Mak Analysis of Checking the Storm

    Lets take a look at something here.. the attack in a downward club attack. a club that is coming down at your head.... you step to 3 (2:30) (2) whatever... to get off the line of said attack draw into a cat to prepare for you ball crushing response. However, in your description you state that you are not only blocking said downward club with an extended outward but you are somehow managing to then slide down the arm to control the wrist.... ..... ... ... now I know you said an ideal phase.. but there is a difference between ideal and cartoonish.

    all of that said, personal opinion... because of the direction you are turned with the twist stance after the ball kick.. consider a right front kick to the attackers inside right knee or femoral nerve instead of the wonky slicing side kick. I think you will find it a much smoother more natural action.

    Just a thought..

    The bunners
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

    "Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

    -JTHM

  15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrBunny For This Useful Post:

    Doc (10-06-2015),KenpoChanger (10-05-2015),nelson (10-05-2015),Star Dragon (10-06-2015)

  16. #12
    Star Dragon's Avatar
    Star Dragon is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    436
    Thanks
    517
    Thanked 323 Times in 214 Posts

    Default Re: Dim Mak Analysis of Checking the Storm

    Quote Originally Posted by KenpoChanger View Post
    You already altered the manual, by stepping to 2:00, but I do that too
    What is unique about Kenpo is that the manual actually asks us to change it.

    Quote Originally Posted by KenpoChanger View Post
    This technique has us step to 3:00, because stepping to 3:00 is a life skill, that all of us normally have when we walk in the door. It is useful against an on coming: Train: Bicycle; Car: Jogger; And, hey, why not a club weapon, such as a coffee table.
    In the clubs that I go to, the tables are securely fastened to the floor, therefore useless as weapons.
    KenpoChanger likes this.

  17. #13
    Star Dragon's Avatar
    Star Dragon is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    436
    Thanks
    517
    Thanked 323 Times in 214 Posts

    Default Re: Dim Mak Analysis of Checking the Storm

    Quote Originally Posted by MrBunny View Post
    Lets take a look at something here.. the attack in a downward club attack. a club that is coming down at your head.... you step to 3 (2:30) (2) whatever... to get off the line of said attack draw into a cat to prepare for you ball crushing response. However, in your description you state that you are not only blocking said downward club with an extended outward but you are somehow managing to then slide down the arm to control the wrist.... ..... ... ... now I know you said an ideal phase.. but there is a difference between ideal and cartoonish.
    Well, Mr Bunny, I am sure you would know what is cartoonish; LOL. Fwiw, I have seen this suggested by some fairly well respected instructors. But I agree that it could be difficult to grab the wrist in real life. I described it as a mere possibility - if you miss the grab, the rest of the technique will still work just fine.

    all of that said, personal opinion... because of the direction you are turned with the twist stance after the ball kick.. consider a right front kick to the attackers inside right knee or femoral nerve instead of the wonky slicing side kick. I think you will find it a much smoother more natural action.

    Just a thought..
    Wonky slicing side kick?! Larry Tatum demonstrates it with that kind of kick and doesn't look wonky. And it happens to be just ideal for the DM attack that I described! Even though, if memory serves right, the technique was in fact originally taught with two front kicks, and that would be a more simple way of doing it, which is a good thing in a real situation.

  18. #14
    Doc's Avatar
    Doc
    Doc is offline
    AKI Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,357
    Thanks
    4,239
    Thanked 14,811 Times in 5,524 Posts

    Default Re: Dim Mak Analysis of Checking the Storm

    Quote Originally Posted by Star Dragon View Post
    Wonky slicing side kick?! Larry Tatum demonstrates it with that kind of kick and doesn't look wonky. And it happens to be just ideal for the DM attack that I described! Even though, if memory serves right, the technique was in fact originally taught with two front kicks, and that would be a more simple way of doing it, which is a good thing in a real situation.
    The slicing side kick is a really bad idea and really bad mechanics, and is a result of changing the technique from its original "chicken kick" that you acknowledge. The chicken kick was too dangerous and yellow belts often injured each other significantly. So, change it. It was a poor change for a lot of reasons, the most prominent being the mechanics.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

    "Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

    "It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél


    www.MSUACF.com

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

    MrBunny (10-08-2015)

  20. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    SpoVaWA
    Posts
    4,387
    Thanks
    1,765
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

    Default Re: Dim Mak Analysis of Checking the Storm

    Quote Originally Posted by Star Dragon View Post
    Well, Mr Bunny, I am sure you would know what is cartoonish; LOL. Fwiw, I have seen this suggested by some fairly well respected instructors. But I agree that it could be difficult to grab the wrist in real life. I described it as a mere possibility - if you miss the grab, the rest of the technique will still work just fine.



    Wonky slicing side kick?! Larry Tatum demonstrates it with that kind of kick and doesn't look wonky. And it happens to be just ideal for the DM attack that I described! Even though, if memory serves right, the technique was in fact originally taught with two front kicks, and that would be a more simple way of doing it, which is a good thing in a real situation.
    Fancy Dancy Kicks, then?

    I do the, two front kicks, version.
    Also Mastering Tsing Tao.

  21. #16
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    4,823
    Thanks
    8,076
    Thanked 3,924 Times in 2,211 Posts

    Default Re: Dim Mak Analysis of Checking the Storm

    I'd prefer a straight lead right punch instead of the backfist, you can time it with the lead foot arriving on the ground and it's a very powerful shot. I think a lot of people will land in their neutral bow (or whatever they actually end up in) at an angle which puts the attacker outside, or almost slightly behind them, which will make the backfist less effective and possibly easy to injure their own elbow or shoulder. By changing the backfist to a straight right punch, they'd probably be more likely to end up in the correct position. Just a thought.
    "To be, rather than to seem"

    "Fix your rear foot ... What the hell is wrong with you?"

    "...I already watched the videos, and quite frankly, they're bullsh*t."

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkC For This Useful Post:

    nelson (10-06-2015)

  23. #17
    Star Dragon's Avatar
    Star Dragon is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    436
    Thanks
    517
    Thanked 323 Times in 214 Posts

    Default Re: Dim Mak Analysis of Checking the Storm

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    The slicing side kick is a really bad idea and really bad mechanics, and is a result of changing the technique from its original "chicken kick" that you acknowledge. The chicken kick was too dangerous and yellow belts often injured each other significantly. So, change it. It was a poor change for a lot of reasons, the most prominent being the mechanics.
    Quote Originally Posted by KenpoChanger View Post
    Fancy Dancy Kicks, then?

    I do the, two front kicks, version.
    Alright. Liv-8 and Liv-9 should work with a simple front kick. They would ideally be struck at an angle of 90° though, so it's going to be more of a thrust kick.

  24. #18
    Star Dragon's Avatar
    Star Dragon is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    436
    Thanks
    517
    Thanked 323 Times in 214 Posts

    Default Re: Dim Mak Analysis of Checking the Storm

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    I'd prefer a straight lead right punch instead of the backfist, you can time it with the lead foot arriving on the ground and it's a very powerful shot. I think a lot of people will land in their neutral bow (or whatever they actually end up in) at an angle which puts the attacker outside, or almost slightly behind them, which will make the backfist less effective and possibly easy to injure their own elbow or shoulder. By changing the backfist to a straight right punch, they'd probably be more likely to end up in the correct position. Just a thought.
    Yes, it's a good option. Although I would rather use the heel palm than the closed fist for a punch to the head, personally. The target could be the the chin or the underside of the nose. However, these are not Dim Mak strikes.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Dragon For This Useful Post:

    Doc (10-06-2015)

  26. #19
    Star Dragon's Avatar
    Star Dragon is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    436
    Thanks
    517
    Thanked 323 Times in 214 Posts

    Default Re: Dim Mak Analysis of Checking the Storm

    Actually, assuming a twist stance after the first kick is not always necessary. I wonder if that was also a change introduced at a certain stage. A simple chicken kick suffices in many cases.

    So, if there are no further objections, you guys have helped me transform the original Checking the Storm into a parry/chicken kick/heel palm combination. Tried it a number of times on BOB; he seems to like it, he always nods after the heel palm. LOL

  27. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    SpoVaWA
    Posts
    4,387
    Thanks
    1,765
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

    Default Re: Dim Mak Analysis of Checking the Storm

    Quote Originally Posted by Star Dragon View Post
    Actually, assuming a twist stance after the first kick is not always necessary. I wonder if that was also a change introduced at a certain stage. A simple chicken kick suffices in many cases.

    So, if there are no further objections, you guys have helped me transform the original Checking the Storm into a parry/chicken kick/heel palm combination. Tried it a number of times on BOB; he seems to like it, he always nods after the heel palm. LOL
    I would suggest you lose the chicken farm, and Plant!
    Also Mastering Tsing Tao.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to KenpoChanger For This Useful Post:

    Star Dragon (10-06-2015)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Atacx gym checking the storm
    By ATACX GYM in forum Videos
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 07-14-2011, 01:12 PM
  2. checking the storm
    By Latinvipers in forum Beginners Corner
    Replies: 109
    Last Post: 07-06-2007, 03:03 PM
  3. Checking The Storm
    By Rob Broad in forum Ed Parker Kenpo
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-24-2006, 02:20 AM
  4. Checking the Storm
    By Seabrook in forum EPAK Technical Studies
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-04-2006, 09:06 PM

Search tags for this page (caching method: table, memcache)

what was dim-mak designed for originally

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.