Thread: Nature of the Attack

Thanks

Default Nature of the Attack

I thought I'd post something that Mr. Tatum was talking about in a seminar. It may be old news to some, but of interest to others. I'm hoping that you all have your own examples to share.

Triggered Salute: The question arose (by Mr. Tatum, which he answered himself) of why you'd go from a major move of a palm heel to a minor move of the arm break. The answer: What if the palmheel were parried? That leads you into the arm break and the elbow strikes.

The person throws a punch, which leads you to the beginning of the extension. After the uppercut to the jaw (like raining claw), the opponent is sent backwards. As they come back forwards, you would move into the left rear cross with the palm and hammerfist to the groin, etc.

When you break the move down that way, the extension makes much more sense. Also, with the opponent stepping forward, moving into the left rear cross aligns your body with your opponent's.

Any other breakdowns anyone wants to share?

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to amylong For This Useful Post:

thedan (06-23-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Nature of the Attack

Oh yea.... Tatum showed us that too, and ever since then I work the technique that way having my partner parry the heel palm which feeds the extension. Flows beautifully.
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

SUPPORT KENPOTALK:http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/payments.php

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    I thought I'd post something that Mr. Tatum was talking about in a seminar. It may be old news to some, but of interest to others. I'm hoping that you all have your own examples to share.

Triggered Salute: The question arose (by Mr. Tatum, which he answered himself) of why you'd go from a major move of a palm heel to a minor move of the arm break. The answer: What if the palmheel were parried? That leads you into the arm break and the elbow strikes.

The person throws a punch, which leads you to the beginning of the extension. After the uppercut to the jaw (like raining claw), the opponent is sent backwards. As they come back forwards, you would move into the left rear cross with the palm and hammerfist to the groin, etc.

When you break the move down that way, the extension makes much more sense. Also, with the opponent stepping forward, moving into the left rear cross aligns your body with your opponent's.

Any other breakdowns anyone wants to share?

--Amy
    Excellent thought. My brain is drawing a blank on another example.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

In the base of Detour from Doom...

After the kick riding check and punch, the attacker adjusts back in, then finish out with the backknuckle + heel palm.

This is something Tatum recommended to us last year.
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

Thanks

I got one I got one.

Five Swords, after your upper cut when you do your next chop and bring your right hand up in an extended outward block position. This supposidly blocks a punch off his left hand if he delivers it.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Definitely... love to graft from that position.
    Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    I got one I got one.

Five Swords, after your upper cut when you do your next chop and bring your right hand up in an extended outward block position. This supposidly blocks a punch off his left hand if he delivers it.
    -Camey

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

How about after the left palm heel to the face as it transitions back convert it into an inward parry while the uppercut is being executed. This way as the left tracks back to handsword maybe it can be in position to pick up another right punch?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth
    How about after the left palm heel to the face as it transitions back convert it into an inward parry while the uppercut is being executed. This way as the left tracks back to handsword maybe it can be in position to pick up another right punch?
    That is what the begining is for. At least that is the way we are taught by Mr. Palanzo. When you do your first block your left hand is checking high just incase he throws the other hand so you cna pick it up.

Thanks

I was talking about in between strike 3 & 4. We work this technique for right/left/right combination.

Thanks

I was talking about in between strike 3 & 4. We work this technique for right/left/right combination.

O I see. Why wouldn't you just bring your right hand up there and go into fatal deviation or the extension to Lone Kimono.

Thanks

O I see. Why wouldn't you just bring your right hand up there and go into fatal deviation or the extension to Lone Kimono.
    We stay inside to show the student that the technique will still work within the framework of 5 swords in a 3 punch combination.

Thanks

We stay inside to show the student that the technique will still work within the framework of 5 swords in a 3 punch combination.
    Ok let me think three punches, ok, five swords for the first right punch. Bring your right hand up incase of the left coming around and than maybe you could do Unfirling Crane or other techniques working the inside. This will also teach the students to improvise. You always need to try and practice thinking you your feet to be ready when the time arises that you need to improv.

One drill that I love that Mr. Trejo showed me was having you partner holding both their hands out. You would start on one side (lets say the outside of their right hand). From there you would move from the outside to the inside, through the midle and than to the outside of the other arm. Wile moving to your next tartget being the middle or the outside your partner must try to hit you so that you pary or block before moving into the next move.

Thanks

Nobody has anything to say about this? Or am I just alone on this one?

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

i was shown to equate that part of 5-swords (after the uppercut) with the beginning of charging ram ... as he may be trying to shoot.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pete For This Useful Post:

Brother John (06-22-2007),thedan (06-23-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    i was shown to equate that part of 5-swords (after the uppercut) with the beginning of charging ram ... as he may be trying to shoot.
    That's an interesting way to think, I like that. Makes good sense.
    thanks

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by amylong View Post

It's taught that way so you can ingrain escalation of force into your neurology.

DOC JOHN

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate View Post
    I got one I got one.
    Hunnnnn?

wherediddatcomefrom?

You've hit him on the SCM...

...taken out his jaw hinge...

...taken out his solar plexus and gastric reflex...

He's not breathing...

His brain is locked down.

Hunnnnn?

DOC JOHN

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links