Thread: Crashing Wings Extension

Thanks

Default Crashing Wings Extension

This extension vexes me. I can't think for the life of me why the extension is necessary. At least that particular extension.

It seems to me that if you have just punched, kicked and flipped, then the extension is unnecessary.

Comments?

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: Crashing Wings Extension

How about a written version of the entire technique from the base right through the extension that way everyone is on the same page. Not everybody has the same extension depending on affilaition there are some variations.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    This extension vexes me. I can't think for the life of me why the extension is necessary. At least that particular extension.

It seems to me that if you have just punched, kicked and flipped, then the extension is unnecessary.

Comments?

--Amy
    Maybe it is just completing another group. Some other extensions make me ask the same question.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

I kinda like this one. Do you have something in mind specifically that you need help with?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Extension? The way we execute it I would find it hard to do anything other than stomping a downed opponent. LOL.

CRASHING WINGS

DEFENSE: Rear bear hug from 6:00/arms free

STANCE: Natural
    1) Execute double knuckle strikes to tops of opponent’s hands to loosen their grip
    2) Execute inward elbow strikes to opponent’s radial nerves as you settle to utilize marriage of gravity and loosen the hold
    3) Step back with your left foot to about 8:00 using a C-step to circumvent opponent’s right leg
    4) Execute a high left obscure elbow to opponent’s chin and continue the motion, counter clockwise, hooking opponent’s chin with your left hand
    5) Pull opponent’s head down by the chin, effectively “crashing” their back down across your left knee
    6) Simultaneously deliver a right hammer fist to opponent’s groin adding stress to the opponent’s spine

Is this different from the way you execute it???
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    Extension? The way we execute it I would find it hard to do anything other than stomping a downed opponent. LOL.

CRASHING WINGS

1) Execute double knuckle strikes to tops of opponent’s hands to loosen their grip
    2) Execute inward elbow strikes to opponent’s radial nerves as you settle to utilize marriage of gravity and loosen the hold
    3) Step back with your left foot to about 8:00 using a C-step to circumvent opponent’s right leg
    4) Execute a high left obscure elbow to opponent’s chin and continue the motion, counter clockwise, hooking opponent’s chin with your left hand
    5) Pull opponent’s head down by the chin, effectively “crashing” their back down across your left knee
    6) Simultaneously deliver a right hammer fist to opponent’s groin adding stress to the opponent’s spine

I feel the same way. This is the base move essentially how we do it, but without the double knuckles. The extension is in case the person defies gravity and doesn't fall. I'll find it and post it.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

I feel the same way. This is the base move essentially how we do it, but without the double knuckles. The extension is in case the person defies gravity and doesn't fall. I'll find it and post it.

--Amy
    Doesn't fall?! After getting elbowed under the chin....and then with you C-Stepping behind the leg and pulling down on their chin... It must be the "Attacker on PCP" extension. LOL.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

If done properly in crashing wings the attacker should be in the air when you hammerfist the groin then drop them flat on their back.

I think we are close on the technique but you guys do yours slightly differently. It appears as you use a fulcrum or lever if you will to make the technique work. When I step behind my major is the obscure back elbow shifting to a forward bow in a strikedown over my left leg. At this point most generally they are almost horizontal in the air while I drop a right hammerfist on the groin.

This is at least how I do the technique.

Thanks

Doesn't fall?! After getting elbowed under the chin....and then with you C-Stepping behind the leg and pulling down on their chin... It must be the "Attacker on PCP" extension. LOL.
    The extension part is if they do not go down. Maybe they were able to catch their balance or the elbow wasn't effective for some reason. The attacker is still standing. The left hand circles around their right arm after the obscure back elbow & the left foot shifts over to about 5-6 turning into a forward bow facing 6 with a right palm heel to the chin. As they start to fall execute a right knee to their right kidney as they fall. Plus there's a few more moves after that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth
    When I step behind my major is the obscure back elbow shifting to a forward bow in a strikedown over my left leg. At this point most generally they are almost horizontal in the air while I drop a right hammerfist on the groin.

This is at least how I do the technique.
    That is the way most people in EPAK, myself included, teach the base technique to Crashing Wings.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    That is the way most people in EPAK, myself included, teach the base technique to Crashing Wings.
    Excellent, glad to know that I'm not alone.

Thanks

CRASHING WINGS

I objectively question the first movement. The reason being in your first move you are doing a movement similar to the beginning of spiraling twig whereas after striking the attacker you must immediately grab the attackers arm. When striking the hands of the attacker wouldn't they immediatley let go in pain? The idea of the "crash" comes directly straight down and ontop of the radial nerves in the forearms with marriage of gravity when settling in your stance. If you strike the knuckles you have to reposition, let go "and then" try to crash. How do you keep their hands around you so you can actually "crash"?

Thanks

When striking the hands of the attacker wouldn't they immediatley let go in pain?
    Yes sir. That's the idea.

The idea of the "crash" comes directly straight down and ontop of the radial nerves in the forearms with marriage of gravity when settling in your stance.
    That's not the "crash" we're after. We do execute that maneuver, but only to further break the hold. Besides, it is extremely difficult to gain proper position for the obscure elbow if they don't leg go or loosen the grip sufficiently enough for you to gain the necessary mobility to execute it. The "crash" in our opinion follows the elbow as you track through to take control of their chin.

As you continue to rotate counter clockwise after the C-Step we transition into a wide kneel "crashing' the opponent's back across our knee/thigh while maintaining control of the opponent's chin and hammer fisting the groin. Think of it the same as if you were breaking a stick across your knee.

Thanks

Just a difference of opinion.

Yes sir. That's the idea.
    You don't have to sir me. It's just Jason i'm just a regular guy.

Thanks

That's not the "crash" we're after. We do execute that maneuver, but only to further break the hold. ...As you continue to rotate counter clockwise after the C-Step we transition into a wide kneel "crashing' the opponent's back across our knee/thigh while maintaining control of the opponent's chin and hammer fisting the groin. Think of it the same as if you were breaking a stick across your knee.
    It sounds like you are doing the same movements in grip of death and striking serpent's head. Am I looking at it right? You're doing the same movement just on a different angle?

Thanks

It sounds like you are doing the same movements in grip of death and striking serpent's head. Am I looking at it right? You're doing the same movement just on a different angle?
    I never really thought about it much...but yes, I guess so. It is kind of a "Peeling" maneuver following the elbow.

Thanks

Let's call it fulcruming.

Form 5 teaches an individual how to fulcrum and use levers if you will. When the form is learned an individual will have a better grasp on takedowns, strikedowns, buckles, sweeps, and fulcruming (or lever) from the front and rear.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Comments?

--Amy
    let's get back to amy's question.... any takers?

pete

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links