Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Gift" Techniques in EPAK

Thanks

Default "Gift" Techniques in EPAK

What is your favorite and/or least favorite of the "Gift" techniques in EPAK? How come?

What is the nature of the attack in some of these techniques (besides just telling students that the attack is for a "unfriendly" handshake)? In other words, why would you use one over the other?

Jamie Seabrook

Thanks

Default Re: "Gift" Techniques in EPAK

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    What is your favorite and/or least favorite of the "Gift" techniques in EPAK? How come?

What is the nature of the attack in some of these techniques (besides just telling students that the attack is for a "unfriendly" handshake)? In other words, why would you use one over the other?

Jamie Seabrook
    I like Gift in Retern. It has an ok extension but there is a groin shot lol.

As for which one I would use it is between Gift of Destruction and Broken Gift. The only reason I think there are the different "gift" techniques is because he was completing the set. Going down diagonaly, going out, going up diagonaly and so forth.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

I would use Broken Gift over Gift of Destruction if my attacker moved in on me and canceled my ability to move forward. I would take the angle of least resistance and go into Broken Gift.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I prefer Broken Gift, but then again...I'm not familar with Gift of Destruction (at least not by that name.) Can you give me some details on that one? Thanks!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    I prefer Broken Gift, but then again...I'm not familar with Gift of Destruction (at least not by that name.) Can you give me some details on that one? Thanks!
    It is for a handshake of course. In this one you pull the opponent into you while going into a left one legged stance you deliver a right knee to the opponents groin while simultaneously delivering a left inward horizontal heel-palm to his elbow (either breaking or hyperextending his arm.) From there you pin the opponest arm into himself with your left hand checking him (when you check the palm of your hand should be facing him with your fingers point to the right.) You must keep his arm pinned. Come down into a right neutral bow and deliver a right inward elbow anywhere to his head. Right front cross over and cover out.

I can tell you the extension if you want, but hopefully that much will jog your memory.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Here is the technical breakdown of Gift Of Destruction

Gift of Destruction (Front- Right Handshake)
    1. An attacker at 12 o'clock grabs your right hand.

2. Hop forward to 11 o'clock with your left foot as your right hand simultaneously jerks on your attacker's arm pulling them down.

3. Simultaneously execute a left strike against your attacker's elbow joint as you execute a right knee kick your attacker's groin.

4. Plant your right foot forward into a right neutral bow facing 12 o'clock as you simultaneously buckle your attacker's right knee and execute a right inward elbow to your attacker's jaw. [Your left hand should be checking at your attacker's right arm.]

5. Cross out toward 7:30.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

I understand that there is the what if he brings his right arm up again. BUt I do not see how you can check that arm if you are inside of his body. Would you not be taking power away since there is not as much torque there?
    I understand there is still the marriage of gravity.

Thanks

What is dangerous about someone who has your hand, is that the attacker can control your height, width, and depth just by pulling your arm with some force.

In Gift of Destruction, we step to a zone of sanctuary to get away from the attacker's free hand as we do the heel palm to the elbow and the right knee.

In Gift and Return, once again we step to a zone of sanctuary, and
    by driving the opponent’s arm downward, we control his height, width, and depth. I like working this technique for a seated position.

As Scott Southwell mentioned, Broken Gift works as an alternate technique to Gift of Destruction if the opponent controls your depth as you attempt to do the first move of Gift of Destruction.

As for Gift of Destiny, that technique is just plain mean, especially with the extension included. I have never seen anyone perform this move as nicely as Larry Tatum.

Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Thanks

O.K....now you know I'm gonna ask....what is Gift of Destiny?

Gift of Destruction sounds kinda awckward by the descriptions. I could be visualizing it wrong though. I'll have to print it and take it to class and try it out for further experimentation.

TBH, even though we teach Gift in Return, I find the ending kind of ... well, cheesy. I like the entry fine, it's the go-behind-flip-thing that I feel may not be effective. LOL.

IMHO =)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Here is Gift of Destiny

Gift of Destiny (Front- Handshake)
    1. An attacker at 12 o'clock grabs your right hand with their right hand.

2. Step your right foot to 12 o'clock into a right neutral bow as you simultaneously have your left hand grab your attacker's right wrist. As you grab, execute a right inward elbow to your attacker's solar plexus.

3. Circle your right hand counterclockwise, contouring along your attacker's fingers with the palm of your hand. [Your fingers are up, thumb down.] Grab your attacker's fingers.

4. Step your right foot to 6 o'clock into a left neutral bow facing 12 o'clock as you turn your right hand clockwise, twisting your attacker's wrist palm up. At the same time, turn your left hand counterclockwise using your attacker's wrist as a pivot point. At the completion of your right hand twist, reach further around your attacker' wrist with your left hand to twist your attacker's wrist further. As you settle into this, release your right hand and return it to chamber. End result, your attacker will be bent over, their palm up, fingers high, the stress locking their arm out.

5. Execute a right palm strike to 1:30 to the back of your attacker's right wrist to break their wrist.

6. Execute a right front kick to your attacker's solar plexus.

7. Plant your right foot back to 6 o'clock and cross out to 4:30.

Thanks

Dang Rob! You're like the flash! I just posted and "boom" there it is! The description of Gift of Destiny! Holy crap, I don't ever want to spar you! You're too fast for me!

Hmmm... this one I like. In Step 4 are you basically applying a "goose-neck" hold? It would make since since in Step 5 you break the wrist with a palm heel (man I like this one..did I say that all ready?) and if you have the hand secured with this hold it would seem easier to execute the break.

I also like the elbow in the entry. Love me some 'bows. Good technique. I can visualize it with no problem. Can't wait to try it out!

Thanks

In Gift and Return, once again we step to a zone of sanctuary, and by driving the opponent’s arm downward, we control his height, width, and depth. I like working this technique for a seated position.
    Ya gotta love that! Done right, you can put him right over the chair you were sitting in. The best effect is when some smart alleck tells you "Those pre-planed defenses don't work." "Shake my hand (pull my finger)."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thedan
    Ya gotta love that! Done right, you can put him right over the chair you were sitting in. The best effect is when some smart alleck tells you "Those pre-planed defenses don't work." "Shake my hand (pull my finger)."
    Hee, hee....

Thanks

You have to be careful with "Pull my finger" techniques. Somebody could get seriously hurt.

Thanks

Here is a question for the instructors out there:

When you teach the "Gift" techniques, what do you tell students the attack is, besides just "an unfriendly handshake"?

Thanks

Here is a question for the instructors out there:

When you teach the "Gift" techniques, what do you tell students the attack is, besides just "an unfriendly handshake"?
    I usually tell students that it is a potential set up for a left punch.

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

For the students that are seasoned a little more I tell them it's a "possible" left punch, arm hyperextension, pull into a right knee strike, pull into a head butt, cross body check by pulling on a diagonal plane. Although, the average joe smith on the street won't know those I was always told you will be fighting someone with better skill levels and better at it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth
    For the students that are seasoned a little more I tell them it's a "possible" left punch, arm hyperextension, pull into a right knee strike, pull into a head butt, cross body check by pulling on a diagonal plane. Although, the average joe smith on the street won't know those I was always told you will be fighting someone with better skill levels and better at it.
    Great answers!

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Thank you, Sir.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Smile Re: "Gift" Techniques in EPAK

I like both Broken Gift and Gift of Destiny. My preference is broken because you stay on the outside and away from that left punch. I also have a propensity to hyperextensions and breaks , which brings me to destiny...I really like the strike to the hyperextended wrist, very 'persausive'. I generally teach that destiny is used when the attacker is pulling you in toward them, for punch, knee, etc and you go with the momentum and drive that elbow deep into them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links