Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Locking Horns

Thanks

Default Locking Horns

This technique works well for a common grappling technique, particularly getting caught in a Guillitine choke standing up. What is a dangerous about a technique like Locking Horns is that the attacker will arch his back for the choke, so you have to react quickly and make sure that tuck your chin. I find that the arch and pull up helps set up the groin and knee strike.

Does everyone else teach the technique for an attacker that is pulling up on the guillitine choke? How does everyone experiment with this technique? I often see it taught for a static choke, but I think that makes it much easier for the attacker to avoid you first move of the technique.

Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Thanks

Default Re: Locking Horns

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    This technique works well for a common grappling technique, particularly getting caught in a Guillitine choke standing up. What is a dangerous about a technique like Locking Horns is that the attacker will arch his back for the choke, so you have to react quickly and make sure that tuck your chin. I find that the arch and pull up helps set up the groin and knee strike.

Does everyone else teach the technique for an attacker that is pulling up on the guillitine choke? How does everyone experiment with this technique? I often see it taught for a static choke, but I think that makes it much easier for the attacker to avoid you first move of the technique.

Jamie Seabrook
    Static Choke?
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

I believe he means; just standing there with a front choke.

Thanks

Does everyone else teach the technique for an attacker that is pulling up on the guillitine choke?
    My friend that teaches JJ showed me a defense against the actual choke while being lifted in the air. I did not believe that it would actually work until I grabbed him in a front choke, arched my back and he was in the air (for as long as I could hold him off of the ground). This gave me a new perspective on both points of view of this technique.

To answer the question, NO, I haven't taught anyone other than your basic stand there let me choke you phase.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I think it is a good point to introduce entrys, double legs, single legs, shooting, thats how you end up in a gullitine most of the time from my experience. One of the great things about American Kenpo techs is the fact that much can be gathered from just the "how does one get here" and the attackers POV. Adds more dimension to the tech and system that way Good subject!
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth
    I believe he means; just standing there with a front choke.
    Correct, that is what I meant.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter
    I think it is a good point to introduce entrys, double legs, single legs, shooting, thats how you end up in a gullitine most of the time from my experience. One of the great things about American Kenpo techs is the fact that much can be gathered from just the "how does one get here" and the attackers POV. Adds more dimension to the tech and system that way Good subject!
    Well put, buddy.

Thanks

Correct, that is what I meant.
    Than thats how I learned it
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

What is a dangerous about a technique like Locking Horns is that the attacker will arch his back for the choke, so you have to react quickly and make sure that tuck your chin. I find that the arch and pull up helps set up the groin and knee strike.

Jamie Seabrook
    How about everyone else?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

We start it off as a static choke, and progress to more realism as the student becomes more comfortable.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth
    My friend that teaches JJ showed me a defense against the actual choke while being lifted in the air. I did not believe that it would actually work until I grabbed him in a front choke, arched my back and he was in the air (for as long as I could hold him off of the ground). This gave me a new perspective on both points of view of this technique.
    Like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

Thanks

That would look like it.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Jeff Speakman schools have revamped this tech to address the "trained cage fighter" approach. It is pretty complex. I am in the process of learning it and therefore cannot adequately explain it. You could contact Dan Pribble at the Lake Arrowhead school in California.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I was taught, and also teach the technique as a defense against a front standing guiliotine choke.

As with any lock or hold, I think it is of utmost importance to stress that one should react as an opponent is attempting to execute the maneuver, not after they have it locked in. It is imperative that as soon as it becomes apparent that your opponent is going for this choke that the student react immediately by first executing the ridgehand strike to the groin. (Their chin should all ready be tucked-more on that later).

As Hunter points out, the most common way to put yourself in a position to be choked in this manner is by attempting a shoot. So, don't attempt a shoot. Why do you want to go to the ground with your opponent anyway? Unless you're competing in a grappling-oriented tournament of some sort your concern should be with staying off of your back.

IMHO- =)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I would practice it with every choke that is possible in that position.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

What I like about this technique is that it puts you in a position where you must really improvise your initial technique and fast before the choke really sets in. The ridgehand is nice but I also like this technique with a kindof looping backfist to the attackers right knee and then pop up for the elbow. Just something different.
    "Say hello to Susan"
    -SGM Ed Parker

Thanks

Yeah, I could definately see a center knuckle to the inside of the knee (you know, that sensitive, fleshy area towards the top) being quite effective at encouraging them to let go of you.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Hi Peeps,

COrrect me if I'm wrong but I only skimmed through the posts here. I see everyone is talking about a choke but that no one has actually defined at what a choke is. There is mention of tucking the chin in which is fine if you were being strangled. But in my understanding a choke is to cut off the blood supply to the brain hence chin tucking would be ineffective.

As regards the JJ way of resisting the choke I'm sorry but I am a little skeptical as from the pic I saw this was not a choke but a neck lift.

cheers

Thanks

It's a guiliotine choke.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    It's a guiliotine choke.
    And that means it's not to cut off the blood supply to the brain so is it a choke or a strangle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links