Thread: SPK,Grasshopper's black belt form

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    At home, playing chess with a bust of Julius Caesar
    Thanks

Default SPK,Grasshopper's black belt form

Here's kenpotalk member SPK,Grasshopper doing the form he created for black belt. It's finished, getting its finishing touches, and yet-to-be-named.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HAOQ-hD8c0

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sentinel For This Useful Post:

hemi (12-06-2007),kenpochrstn (12-09-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: SPK,Grasshopper's black belt form

No comments, black belts, or anyone?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sentinel For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (12-04-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Eastvale (Corona), CA; training out of Los Angeles
    Thanks

Well I'm not a black belt, but I do like what I saw there. Especially that kicking combo at the very end, throwing the jump spinning kick in there to break the kenpo "norm", I was like "Yes! look at him catching some air!" Good job Grasshopper.
    "Your kung fu's no good..."
    *Warrior, Scholar*

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RDCParker For This Useful Post:

Sentinel (12-05-2007),sifuroy (12-10-2007),SPK,Grasshopper (01-08-2008)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
    No comments, black belts, or anyone?
    The form is well put together, I would like to see it done a little slower and focus on the power points. But thats just me. I would also like to see the supporting documentation. But again Im not doing the test. But seeing a walk thru/ talk thru explanation followed by a real time demo would be fantastic.

It is still a nice form, thanks for posting it.

My Respects
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

Sentinel (12-05-2007),sifuroy (12-10-2007)

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: SPK,Grasshopper's black belt form

I like the way he moves. He has got good fluidity and if I knew nothing about Kenpo, I would still be able to tell where his shots were hitting. His kicks were great as well.

Good job brother.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Seabrook For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

Is there a unifying theme or topic to his form?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to michaeledward For This Useful Post:

Sentinel (12-05-2007)

Thanks

I have seen this before and Donnie moves VERY well for being a "big guy". I would not want to get in the way of his stuff.

I do not come from the EPAK or Sampai side so I am less educated about the movements---Having said that the only thing I noticed is that he does not "see" his attackers for the Bunkai. The head needs to snap in the direction of the next attacker if the practicioner wants us to "believe" he is actually fighting opponents.

This may not be something that is important to you guys, it is a very small thought. I would bet that as he continues to practice this form at some point he will suddenly snap his head when he changes directions, meaning he is actually seeing the bad guys.

I am super impressed by the Sampai group and it's leaders. They do not churn out black-belts by any means so the fact that he is up for Shodan is a BIG deal.

I think it is a great form and I wish him the best of luck!

jamey
    The above is just my opinion.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dianhsuhe For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (01-08-2008),Sentinel (12-05-2007),sifuroy (12-10-2007),SPK,Grasshopper (01-08-2008)

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

Loved it! Thanks for posting.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John Brewer For This Useful Post:

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Thank you everyone for the comments, I'm sure Donie will appreciate them. He won't have an internet connection for another week or so, but I'll make sure he gets all the feedback here.

As far as a unifying theme or topic for the form, his goal was to make it a showcase for how a big guy can move. He didn't just want to focus on what he naturally did well, but incorporated techniques that weren't his favorites, a lot of body movement, and lots of footwork (and a jumping spinning kick ) into the form. So maybe you could say he wanted the theme to be "Surprise!". He's always had to hang with us skinny dudes in class, so I think it's kind of a statement. lol

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

Looks like SPK Grasshopper (Donie) learned a huge lesson when Sifu John
    (Sentinel) posted his Kata on KenpoTalk.

PERFORM ALL YOUR KATAS LIKE THE WORLD IS WATCHING, MAYBE THEY ARE!!!

Maybe good advice for all of you.

I am Most Respectfully,
    Sifuroy

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sifuroy For This Useful Post:

Dianhsuhe (12-10-2007),SPK,Grasshopper (01-08-2008)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Red face Re: SPK,Grasshopper's black belt form

Ah-so Grasshopper! Lookin' good. Work on your low-line kicks, bro. It is apparent that you have spent time and focus on both hand techniques and the higher kicks, but that only makes the lower kicks stand out as being...less than the other ingredients. I agree with Jamey, in so far as target awareness. I am familiar with the techniques incorporated in this form, and thus know what you are doing...(and to whom), but in order to effectively sell this performance for the highest dollar...(and we always wanna do that)...then maintaining the illusion of the Fight for Survival, by surveying your surroundings and reacting to each of your attackers, as they attack, in a timely, realistic manner would indeed help push this form over the top.

You've come a long way Grasshopper, since you first stumbled through my door. Not only in the way you move and carry yourself, but in the way you communicate, the manner in which you respect others and the confidence that infuses you from head to toe. It seems like a long journey, when I contrast the dramatic changes and growth I've seen you experience, but I know this is but the first, few stumbling steps, it what will be a far greater journey, than you suspect at this juncture. I am proud of your accomplishments and have high expectations of what you will do, with the tidbits of knowledge I have managed to share with you. The real test, is not the quest for your imminent black belt, but rather what you can design, build and improve upon, with the tools you have mastered up to this point.

I suspect you will continue to make me proud as the years pass, Grasshopper. Nicely done.

(Now I'll go back into my current MIA Status and endeavor to add to the mystery which is....the DangeRuss one's province)

NEW and IMPROVED Non-Chunky Version!

[SIGPIC]http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo[/SIGPIC]

I only know enough, to understand how much I don't know

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SifuDangeRuss For This Useful Post:

Dianhsuhe (12-10-2007),MARSHALLS KENPO (12-10-2007),SPK,Grasshopper (01-08-2008)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Looks good.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Broad For This Useful Post:

SPK,Grasshopper (01-08-2008)

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Talking Re: SPK,Grasshopper's black belt form

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    The form is well put together, I would like to see it done a little slower and focus on the power points. But thats just me. I would also like to see the supporting documentation. But again Im not doing the test. But seeing a walk thru/ talk thru explanation followed by a real time demo would be fantastic.

It is still a nice form, thanks for posting it.

My Respects
    Mr. Marshall
    I want to thank you for you input. After the test I will put a demo of the Kata up for you.. Thank you again Mr. Marshall
    "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else, YOU are the one who gets burned."
    Buddha.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

25. The Following User Says Thank You to SPK,Grasshopper For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (01-08-2008)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SPK,Grasshopper View Post
    Mr. Marshall
    I want to thank you for you input. After the test I will put a demo of the Kata up for you.. Thank you again Mr. Marshall
    Donie
    It is my joy,

You have some really good people behind you. I wish I could be there but my wife is expecting around the 19th. I look forward to the video of your form.

My Respects to you

ps. What most don't know is your form was filmed after a long an extensive work out. Thank you
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    Donie
    It is my joy,

You have some really good people behind you. I wish I could be there but my wife is expecting around the 19th. I look forward to the video of your form.

My Respects to you

Mr. Marshall
    I do have some really awesome people behind me, They have always picked me up when I was down. They are always there with open arms and hearts. To me they are my family then my kenpo teachers.

As for you being there, The new comer to your clan your wife and you just has to come to one of your Sam-Pai picnic's. We have been putting on a picnic for the last 4 years for all of or MA friends. If you want more info on it we can get it to you .

Thank you Mr. Marshall
    Not just for your nice word to me, but your friendship to your Clan

Donie
    "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else, YOU are the one who gets burned."
    Buddha.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dianhsuhe View Post
    I have seen this before and Donnie moves VERY well for being a "big guy". I would not want to get in the way of his stuff.

I do not come from the EPAK or Sampai side so I am less educated about the movements---Having said that the only thing I noticed is that he does not "see" his attackers for the Bunkai. The head needs to snap in the direction of the next attacker if the practicioner wants us to "believe" he is actually fighting opponents.

This may not be something that is important to you guys, it is a very small thought. I would bet that as he continues to practice this form at some point he will suddenly snap his head when he changes directions, meaning he is actually seeing the bad guys.

I am super impressed by the Sampai group and it's leaders. They do not churn out black-belts by any means so the fact that he is up for Shodan is a BIG deal.

I think it is a great form and I wish him the best of luck!

jamey
    I am only a blue belt so take this for what it is worth. I agree with the quoted post about not "seeing" the attacker. I noticed on a rear heal thrust he did not look where he was kicking. He also did not turn his head to the next attacker. Again, blue belt talking here. These are things I get pegged on in my forms.

Fluidity and speed were great. I hope I can move as well one day. Thanks for posting!!!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Saxman1819 For This Useful Post:

Dianhsuhe (10-01-2011)

Thanks

Donie,

I bet you would rock even more doing that form when you are "fresh". You will notice most of the tips given are fairly small in comparison to the whole "work". I would be proud to have you as a workout partner and your lineage is a proud and honorable one- (You know that already I know!)

Keep us posted as the day gets more near, you have motivated me with your efforts and humility and I bet great things are coming your way...

Cheers!

jamey
    The above is just my opinion.

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: SPK,Grasshopper's black belt form

Quote Originally Posted by Saxman1819 View Post
    I am only a blue belt so take this for what it is worth. I agree with the quoted post about not "seeing" the attacker. I noticed on a rear heal thrust he did not look where he was kicking. He also did not turn his head to the next attacker. Again, blue belt talking here. These are things I get pegged on in my forms.

Fluidity and speed were great. I hope I can move as well one day. Thanks for posting!!!
    "Seeing the attacker" Yes I do agree with this..I need to snap my head to the next attack.. As for the back kick we do not look over the our shoulder. In Sam-Pai Kenpo we use a straight back to aid the pistonic motion of the back kick. Thank you for your input...
    Buddha.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dianhsuhe View Post
    Donie,

I bet you would rock even more doing that form when you are "fresh". You will notice most of the tips given are fairly small in comparison to the whole "work". I would be proud to have you as a workout partner and your lineage is a proud and honorable one- (You know that already I know!)

Keep us posted as the day gets more near, you have motivated me with your efforts and humility and I bet great things are coming your way...

Cheers!

jamey

Mr. Gibson
    I Thank you for your kind word's. I do feel honored and proud.
    As for the things to come, I can not see them, but if I have my way
    you all will see more of Sam-Pai Kenpo..
    thank you
    Donie
    Buddha.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

looks awsome brother.. the seeing your attacker will come with confidence in the form.
    every thing else was solid.. maybe slow it down a tad bit, just my $.02 for what its worth.
    "The sacraed rights of mankind are not to be rummaged for among old parchments or musty records. They are written, as with a sunbeam, in the whole volume of human nature, by the hand of the divinity itself, and can never be erased.""

Alexander Hamilton
    The Farmer Refuted (1775)

34. The Following User Says Thank You to gixxershane For This Useful Post:

SPK,Grasshopper (01-09-2008)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links