Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Short 3 kata

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Short 3 kata

Just a clip of my short 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2qHE8JdtFc
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]When in doubt, go for the groin.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RamsHead For This Useful Post:

amylong (10-31-2007),Brother John (11-04-2007),Devildogmrk (10-29-2007),gixxershane (10-29-2007),kenpochrstn (10-30-2007),Martin Seck (10-30-2007),nelson (10-29-2007),RDCParker (11-07-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: Short 3 kata

Thanks for sharing
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Good form, RamsHead. Short 3 has always been one of my favorites. Thanks!
    "Fall seven times, stand up eight." Japanese proverb

"I've seen some cats do some crazy stuff like bending swords with their necks and breaking flaming bricks... thats great and all but can they fight?" *shrugs* Moses Powell

-Hank Colado

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

Ya thanks for sharing!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,587 Times in 2,193 Posts

Thanks for sharing! Short 3 would be Kata 5 in my system. Did you want constructive input?
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Wink Re: Short 3 kata

Thanks for sharing. Keep up the good work!
    Devil Dog Mark
    Hawaiian Kempo & Okinawan Kubudo

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Talking Re: Short 3 kata

Quote Originally Posted by jdinca View Post
    Thanks for sharing! Short 3 would be Kata 5 in my system. Did you want constructive input?
    Input would be great as this kata is just starting to settle in for me and I know it can be improved.
    Not to toot my own horn but considering I just learned it two or so months ago< I think it looks half way decent.......toot toot
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]When in doubt, go for the groin.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RamsHead For This Useful Post:

jdinca (10-29-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RamsHead View Post
    Input would be great as this kata is just starting to settle in for me and I know it can be improved.
    Not to toot my own horn but considering I just learned it two or so months ago< I think it looks half way decent.......toot toot
    It does look pretty good, especially given how long you've known it. The one thing I noticed that was particular to the kata is you dropping your head in the first line.

As a more general statement, you're carrying your way a little forward in your stances. Look at the video again, and you'll see you're on the balls of your feet in a lot of your neutral bows and your rear heel tends to come up in your forward bows. Shift your center of gravity back a couple of inches and I think you'll find that you feel more solid and grounded in your stances.

Keep up the good work! You're definitely on the right path.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jdinca For This Useful Post:

amylong (10-31-2007)

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Thanks for sharing.. Looks great for your rank and how long you've had the form.. I would say to not be so "BIG" with your upper body motion.. Try to visualize an opponent the same size as you.. The four finger eye poke on destructive twins could be brought down in hight a litte, as well as the heal palm in grip of death.. it looks like you are fighting someone 2 feet taller than you. striking serpents head looks diffrent than the way we do it so i will leave that alone.

I like the over all speed in the form, seeings how most people rush through them as fast as they can.. I would just change the timing within the techniques them selfs. Use the same timing you would when defending against the attacks.. make it look more real..

This is all constructive. so please do not take it the wrong way..

Good luck and keep up the good work..
    "The sacraed rights of mankind are not to be rummaged for among old parchments or musty records. They are written, as with a sunbeam, in the whole volume of human nature, by the hand of the divinity itself, and can never be erased.""

Alexander Hamilton
    The Farmer Refuted (1775)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

RamsHead, all the above advice is good. If I can add a bit of advice I would tell you not to 'freeze' between individual techniques in the kata. Transitions should flow with continuity. Good luck with your training!
    "Fall seven times, stand up eight." Japanese proverb

"I've seen some cats do some crazy stuff like bending swords with their necks and breaking flaming bricks... thats great and all but can they fight?" *shrugs* Moses Powell

-Hank Colado

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Thanks for sharing!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks
    Thanked 3,146 Times in 1,488 Posts

Look at the video again, and you'll see you're on the balls of your feet in a lot of your neutral bows...
    We don't actually use Neutral Bows in Tracy kenpo. Those stances should be horse and full bow.
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gixxershane View Post
    ... destructive twins... grip of death... striking serpents head.
    Good luck and keep up the good work..
    The names of techs in Tracy kenpo are different from EPAK, as well as some of the details, so some of these comments might cause a bit of confusion. Just suggesting that these points need to be kept in mind.
    Michael

Thanks

Thanks for posting the video. My son used to use Short-3 at local karate tournaments. We are very Tang Soo DO and Tae Kwon Do heavy in this part of the state, and short 3 looks more interesting than moving up and down in the "I" of the other styles. He's always won a trophy with it.

We do some things a little different. Not a criticism, just noticing differences. We don't do the formal salutation to start it. At the end of the last technique, we step forward and not back. In kata with techniques like crossing talon, we don't do the breaks in the kata.

Always good to see some of the differences.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flying crane View Post
    We don't actually use Neutral Bows in Tracy kenpo. Those stances should be horse and full bow.
    Different names for the same things? I was attempting to use EPAK terminology, which I have never really understood. I should have said "side horse", or "fighting stance", which is what I know them as. The point I was trying to get across should still be the same.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flying crane View Post
    I did the Tracy system for two years and they weren't called 'neutral bows', but they most certainly WERE neutral bows.

My suggestion, other than of course to practice it until you feel the flow comfortably, is be aware of your feet. Whatever kind of stances you are doing, they should be consistent. You heels would be best kept on the ground and your heels pushed out more.

I'm on my people all the time about duck feet. As a purple belt though, you're lookin' pretty darn good. Keep up the good work. Put up another clip of it in six months or so when you feel smoother.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

Different names for the same things? I was attempting to use EPAK terminology, which I have never really understood. I should have said "side horse", or "fighting stance", which is what I know them as. The point I was trying to get across should still be the same.
    sure, I understand where you are coming from. I believe an EPAK Neutral Bow is a specific thing, and it is not the same as a full bow, nor a horse or a fighting horse, like we use in Tracys. I made the destinction because according to his profile, Ramshead is in a Tracy school.
    Michael

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong View Post
    I did the Tracy system for two years and they weren't called 'neutral bows', but they most certainly WERE neutral bows.

--Amy
    They actually are not neutral bows. It is a different thing. Looking at Mr. Parkers Infinite Insights where the Neutral Bow is described, as well as discussions about stances here on KT and MT, I believe a Neutral Bow is a distinct stance. In Tracys, we use the Horse and Fighting Horse extensively, esp. in techs and kata, and if a Bow is used, it is a full bow.

I asked Ted Sumner what a Neutral Bow is, and he answered that he didn't know, it's not a stance used in Tracys.

From my training in Tracys prior to my becoming a student of Ted, I had never heard of a Neutral Bow. It was only in reading Mr. Parker's books that I became familiar with the term, but never fully knew the specifics.

It's possible that your instructor picked up the Neutral Bow from another source and began using it, but strictly speaking, the neutral bow is not part of Tracys.
    Michael

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

In my training, a neutral bow is nothing but a horse stance with a different point of reference. If you are in a horse facing 10:30, if you turn your head to 12:00, you are in a neutral bow. Turn your head to 1:30 and you are in a fighting horse. Neutral bow has its name because the weight is 50/50--putting it between a forward bow and reverse bow. And it has both depth and width, unlike the horse and fighting horse respectively. So it's conceptually between all those stances. Plus, it's thought to be a good compromise between offensive and defensive postures.

Every other stance is a derivation of the horse. So once you find the proper dimensions of the horse, you'll have the proper dimensions of a neutral bow. The drawings in II may help if you are a visual person. Also check out Secrets of Chinese Karate.

I'm not sure what is meant by a full bow, though.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew For This Useful Post:

amylong (10-31-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    In my training, a neutral bow is nothing but a horse stance with a different point of reference...
    well, having never trained a proper "neutral bow", I am simply basing my comments off of both descriptions I have seen here in the forums, as well as descriptions and photos in Infinite Insights. And from those descriptions and photos, they seem different.

In Tracys, we use a horse and fighting horse. The Square Horse is just a basic horse, wide open, very stable and strong. Your feet are at 9:00 and 3:00, toes pointing to 12:00, with your attention facing 12:00. It's just a training stance, you would never fight with it as you are wide open.

the Side Horse (right foot forward) would be a horse with feet at 6:00 and 12:00, toes pointing to 9:00, and your attention at 12:00. So your head is turned to face 12:00, and your guard is up against an opponent at 12:00. It's closed, minimizes your own vulnerability, but can make it difficult to use your rear weapons.

The Fighting Horse is a slightly opened Side Horse. The rear foot is shifted to perhaps 6:30, toes are now pointed to perhaps 9:30. Your opponent is still at 12:00, so your head and guard are turned to 12:00, but you don't have to turn them as far as you do in the Side Horse. But the hips are still squared, not turned forward. It is most definitely still a Horse. This slight opening of the stance makes it easier to engage your own rear weapons, but still effectively minimizes your own vulnerability, and maintains the solid stability of the Horse.

From what I have seen in the photos and descriptions, it looks to me like the Neutral Bow has the feet and hips turned somewhat forward. The weight may be 50-50, but I think the forward turning is the big difference. Correct me if I am wrong about this.

I'm not sure what is meant by a full bow, though.
    Full Bow is when you turn fully forward, the front leg remains bent, but the rear leg is straightened out to drive and turn the hips forward, for maximizing reach and power in something like a reverse punch.
    Michael

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links