Thread: Couple of 2nd Brown Test Clips

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Couple of 2nd Brown Test Clips

Hey guys, long time no chat; last time I was posting somewhere on these forums, I was going for my 3rd Brown, and now I've done and gotten my 2nd Brown!

Here are two clips that my testmate had recorded during our test. As a result, he is the main focus of the videos, though when the forms are happening, I share the spotlight.

Hope you all enjoy!

Short Form Three*
    Montage of Techniques and Long Form Three

*As you can see by a comment YouTube vid, neither of us really end where we're "supposed" to. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 664 Posts

Default Re: Couple of 2nd Brown Test Clips

Thanks for sharing. Glad to hear your training is going well.
    "You can't account for everything, but you should account for the reasonably probable. Unfortunately for the unknowledgeable, those never ending 'what if's' will choke your thought process to death with useless information." - Doc

"To hold and fill to overflowing is not as good as to stop in time. Sharpen a knife-edge to its very sharpest, and the edge will not last long." Loa Tzu

www.cromwellmartialarts.com
    www.BrianAselton.org
    www.hundredclubofct.org

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    At home, playing chess with a bust of Julius Caesar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drakku View Post
    Hey guys, long time no chat; last time I was posting somewhere on these forums, I was going for my 3rd Brown, and now I've done and gotten my 2nd Brown!
    Congratulations! Few people make it to this rank in kenpo. Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakku View Post
    *As you can see by a comment YouTube vid, neither of us really end where we're "supposed" to. Any thoughts on this?
    Yes, and there's a reason you're supposed to end up in the same place. It's to make sure you're practicing consistent stances and footwork. Go through the form slowly and check your stance each time you move a foot. Are your stances wider in some places than others? Are you doing a step and drag when you should only be stepping through? Are you stepping too far away from the opponent in Wings of Silk to properly deliver the final strike (check the footwork on a live body)? I can't tell you exactly what things you're doing to end up in a different spot, but remember that the solution is in fixing stances and footwork.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sentinel For This Useful Post:

Drakku (08-01-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

It seems that in some of the comments, one woman wants to have your children. You must be doing something right.
    Sean

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Couple of 2nd Brown Test Clips

Good stuff. Thanks for posting these.

I agree with the Sentinal here. It's all about Control. Control is placing your weapons, your feet and your body, exactly where you want it consistantly, with exactly as much speed and power as you want. There have been a few threads recently alluding to the number of reps needed for mastery of a technique. Although repetition is important, I'd give the same advise I have given in perfecting katas.

Try working the technique at what may seem a ridiculously slow pace and feel and examine every aspect of each movement. Check balance, weight distribution, allignment, consistancy and integrity of stances, targeting and follow-through. The key here is striving for consistancy each and every time in the ideal phase.

If problems remain, check your partners responses to your attacks. Are they realisitic? Is he/she anticipating, instead of reacting to what you're doing? When acting as the "dummy", it is equally as important that you don't over-react or anticipate your partners actions, but react as naturally as possible. It may be that you are (or are not) adjusting properly to something your partner is doing.

If you practice the techniques kata at a various speeds and power levels then you can probably identify and fix whatever is causing you to end-up in some place other than where you want to end.

Finally, intention is a huge aspect. Visualize in your mind precisely what it is you want to accomplish. Close your eyes and mentally walk through the technique or kata. See in your mind's eye you and your partner performing it flawlessly. Visualization is a highly under-utilized tool for fine-tuning techniques. Most olympic athletes use this tool, why aren't you?

Good luck and good job!
    NEW and IMPROVED Non-Chunky Version!

[SIGPIC]http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo[/SIGPIC]

I only know enough, to understand how much I don't know

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SifuDangeRuss For This Useful Post:

Drakku (08-01-2007)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links