Thanks

Default Long Day

Hey All,

Check out this video.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VK8DyaSkhE

Regards,

Carl

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blfycdq For This Useful Post:

Arizona Angel (05-18-2007),parkerkarate (05-18-2007),T-Bo (05-18-2007)

Thanks

Default Re: Long Day

I take it that you are a Tatum guy? Looks pretty cool, I like the slow-mo stuff.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

First Thanks!

I am influenced by Tatum, his movement seems to capture my attention like no other Kenpoist Can't explain why? I guess we all have our favorites.

Side Note: I have always liked the way Joe has moved.

To be fair, there are others that have influenced me as well such as David German and Ken McGuire. Ken was David's pinata during the 70's. Ken was a big man and as tuff as they came. He moved liked Parker and was absolutely terrifying to work with at times. Ken's always said, "I am not just doing Kenpo techniques on you, I am also killing you." I will post some moves of him soon. He could inspire the dead. He was something else I tell ya....

Regards,
    Carl

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Cool!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Cool vid. Great soundtrack. How many of you also do Shield and Mace on that angle?
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

SUPPORT KENPOTALK:http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/payments.php

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cameypsaromatis For This Useful Post:

Martin Seck (05-21-2007)

Thanks

Like it ... nice job Carl.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Like it ... nice job Carl.

Martin

Thanks, Brother!

Ejoyed making it...My students were off that week so I decided to work on Long 4 a little.

Regards,
    Carl from Atlanta

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,147 Times in 468 Posts

This is a TERRIBLE clip! The lighting sucked...the guy moves like trash and I'm not giving any valid or justifiable explanations as to why I said that! Oh......wait a minute....sorry...thought I was still on KenpoNet.

Good Clip Carl. Very good clip.
    James Hawkins III, SI
    Hawkins Martial Arts
    Baltimore, MD 410-948-1440
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FunctionalKenpo
    http://www.youtube.com/user/kenpojujitsu3

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Talking Re: Long Day

The slow-mo was cool I will try it as for the Kata I do not like 4 it kicked my but for about a year
    "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else, YOU are the one who gets burned."
    Buddha.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

I believe that Long 4 is the hardest Kata in the system. It is still kicking my butt! Thanks for the comment!

Regards,
    Carl

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blfycdq View Post
    I believe that Long 4 is the hardest Kata in the system. It is still kicking my butt! Thanks for the comment!

Regards,
    Carl
    Harder than 6?
    James Hawkins III, SI
    Hawkins Martial Arts

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Hmmm.....

Long 6 is more complex and sophisticated than long 4 but, I had a better vocabulary of motion when I started learning 6 and it became more of a joy to learn and maybe a little easier. Maybe!

Long 4 was a period where I was correcting bad habbits and learning "how beautiful a basic move could be!" After trying almost everything, I finally realized that what makes Kenpo Katas beautiful and an effective tool for learning is to perfect one's stance, timming, and string properly executed basic movements together. That is it(2 years later I realized that you can also do the same for techniques..)! But, it is very difficult, because for example, everybody wants to go faster and bam, our feet get left behind while are hands are way out in front!

I watched your Long 6 on youtube. You do an excellent job in pacing yourself--not too fast or slow. I can see the various circles within each of the techniques. I can feel the flow of your Kata. It is smooth strongly accented with very good basics. There is not a lot of wasted motion, poor stances, bad angle changes and or transitions. Matter of fact, these are the reasons I like your Long 6, especially, because of the good transitions and stances. You can see them! The second move in your long 6 is the strongest. A strong push drag and height change takes place as you shuffle forward into the elbow shot.

Your 6 to me, reflects the way Planas executes his 6. As for me, I like the way Tatum executes his long 6. Masterful! I have never seen Parker's version. I am sure it was a jaw dropper.

Regards,
    Carl

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blfycdq View Post
    Hmmm.....

(1) Long 6 is more complex and sophisticated than long 4 but, I had a better vocabulary of motion when I started learning 6 and it became more of a joy to learn and maybe a little easier. Maybe!

Long 4 was a period where I was correcting bad habbits and learning "how beautiful a basic move could be!" After trying almost everything, I finally realized that what makes Kenpo Katas beautiful and an effective tool for learning is to perfect one's stance, timming, and string properly executed basic movements together. That is it(2 years later I realized that you can also do the same for techniques..)! But, it is very difficult, because for example, everybody wants to go faster and bam, our feet get left behind while are hands are way out in front!

(2) I watched your Long 6 on youtube. You do an excellent job in pacing yourself--not too fast or slow. I can see the various circles within each of the techniques. I can feel the flow of your Kata. It is smooth strongly accented with very good basics. There is not a lot of wasted motion, poor stances, bad angle changes and or transitions. Matter of fact, these are the reasons I like your Long 6, especially, because of the good transitions and stances. You can see them! The second move in your long 6 is the strongest. A strong push drag and height change takes place as you shuffle forward into the elbow shot.

(3) Your 6 to me, reflects the way Planas executes his 6. As for me, I like the way Tatum executes his long 6. Masterful! I have never seen Parker's version. I am sure it was a jaw dropper.

Regards,
    Carl
    1. Makes sense to me. I had a similar feeling when learning 6.

2. Thanks. I got distracted and lost in the middle of it paying attention to my son (watch me inbetween the two Capturing the Storms). I was like "what am I suppossed to be doing right now" Doh!

3. Thanks for the compliment of mentioning me and Mr. Planas in the same sentence. My Kenpo Role Model is Max who is under Mr. Planas...so that explains that.
    James Hawkins III, SI
    Hawkins Martial Arts

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links