Thread: It's Sparring Time Again

Thanks

Default It's Sparring Time Again

Well, for the first time since last summer, I am entering a tournament this June here in Canada. The sparring is for points only. I need at least to win in the top three to advance to a November tournament in the U.S. Here is a clip of me sparring at the 2006 LTKKA World Kenpo Karate Championships last August. The guy I was sparring is Marc Shay, who is a great fighter and new friend of mine. We both aren't fans of point sparring but those were the rules. I am the guy on the left (we are both vertically challenged, LOL).

Any feedback or tips would be appreciated as I really want to train hard for this one.

Thanks everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL3gWEYoxC8
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

Thanks

Default Re: It's Sparring Time Again

You would kick my butt Try using a universal block for the Roundhouse kicks. That way you cover the high and low ground and you still have your front hand to hit with while your back hand blocks.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Hey Jamie, Can you e-mail the information, I would like to come and watch in June.

Thanks buddy.
    Yours Truly
    Kenpo0324

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kenpo0324 View Post
    Hey Jamie, Can you e-mail the information, I would like to come and watch in June.

Thanks buddy.
    Watch ? Come on Ken get your butt out there and compete, you can do it. BTW, How's it going buddy ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

the sparing was interesting.
    But I've seen LOTS of that.

I liked your videos of Seabrook vs. ? in the hockey clips!

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Nice job Jamie. It looked like a tough match to call but the ref's did a nice job too. I noticed that you extend your lead hand often leaving you open. Are you trying to force your opponent to go for the ribs so you can counter or is this your usual style when point sparring? My only advice would be to 'close up' so you present fewer targets, but that might not work well in that type of sparring. It also looks like you got most of your points as counters - just an observation.

When/where is the June tourney?

Thanks
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook View Post
    Well, for the first time since last summer, I am entering a tournament this June here in Canada. The sparring is for points only. I need at least to win in the top three to advance to a November tournament in the U.S. Here is a clip of me sparring at the 2006 LTKKA World Kenpo Karate Championships last August. The guy I was sparring is Marc Shay, who is a great fighter and new friend of mine. We both aren't fans of point sparring but those were the rules. I am the guy on the left (we are both vertically challenged, LOL).

Any feedback or tips would be appreciated as I really want to train hard for this one.

Thanks everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL3gWEYoxC8

Thanks

Thanks Mark.

The June tournament is in St. Catherines.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,427 Posts

The zeitgeist in point matches causes guys to lean back and shoot over the top, patternistically. If you work on dropping in with a hefty forward momentum while lunging into the midline with a rear hand, head buried between your shoulders, the only recourse they'll have is trying to come around the outside-high.

Pull-drag lead leg roundhouse, drop the leg in a lunge to bring in the rear hand. I watched the vid several times, and the style of movement leaves one open for this zone split nicely.

D.

PS -- 2 things. 1. I can see why you prefer continuous. 2. When did it become taboo for BB's to hit to the head? (haven't been to a tourney since early 90's)
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

Seabrook (04-10-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave in da house View Post
    The zeitgeist in point matches causes guys to lean back and shoot over the top, patternistically. If you work on dropping in with a hefty forward momentum while lunging into the midline with a rear hand, head buried between your shoulders, the only recourse they'll have is trying to come around the outside-high.

Pull-drag lead leg roundhouse, drop the leg in a lunge to bring in the rear hand. I watched the vid several times, and the style of movement leaves one open for this zone split nicely.

D.

PS -- 2 things. 1. I can see why you prefer continuous. 2. When did it become taboo for BB's to hit to the head? (haven't been to a tourney since early 90's)
    Great, great post. I will definitely work on the pull-drag lead leg roundhouse followed by the rear hand.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Just my opinion, but you both were dropping your guard leaving your heads exposed way too often. It looked like most, if not all of the points were earned from head strikes. I would also suggest trying to work some more combinations into you sparring routine; get your opponent to to open himself up or overwhelm him by throwing multiple techniques.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

That was a great match, My only suggestion would use a little more faking to draw your opponent out and make them hesitate (we need that being vertically challenged). Counter fighting is challenging for point sparring because slipping, deflecting, jamming all can leave you open for judge mental call that they hit you to give them the point. Good luck

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links