Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clutching Feathers

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Clutching Feathers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUjezdrgddo

Ok,

Here is a version of Clutching Feathers....enjoy!

Regards,
    Carl from Atlanta

2. The Following User Says Thank You to blfycdq For This Useful Post:

Martin Seck (03-30-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Clutching Feathers

Thanks for posting,

the only problem I see here is why clutching feathers, should it not have been entitled almost clucthing feathers. I see this all too often in techniques such as triggered salute and alternating maces wher the push is not allowed to be put on.

Personally I like to train with the attack full on and deal with it there and take care of all situations.

Amrik

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

*shrug* at least the uke in Carl's clip moves some. There's plenty of Kenpo on YouTube that looks like kata for defense against a scarecrow.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Carol For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (03-30-2007)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I haven't posted a clip of myself, so can only congratulate the poster on putting their Kenpo out there - well done! You seem to have had plenty of feedback on your other vids, i hope the constructive criticism is helping.

It may be worth spending some time with your training partner discussing reactions - i counted at least three solid strikes to his face (including an elbow) plus a knee to the groin - which hardly shifted him when he should have been reeling back, then doubled over.

I know it's tough standing there while a tech' gets banged out on you - but it should help everyone's Kenpo to slow it down, allow correct reaction and adjust the strikes to wherever the targets end up.

But again, well done for putting it out there, I enjoy watching others material a lot and hope you take my comments in the spirit they are intended.

Alex

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Thanks for posting,

the only problem I see here is why clutching feathers, should it not have been entitled almost clucthing feathers. I see this all too often in techniques such as triggered salute and alternating maces wher the push is not allowed to be put on.

Personally I like to train with the attack full on and deal with it there and take care of all situations.

Amrik

Never let them grab you! Strike when you feel something, so that you can prevent the grab/attack. Once a grab/ lock is applied it can be at times equal to being stabbed and or strucked. Cheat, never let them grab you,-- ever!!!! Train in such a way where you can always prevent the grab! Remember that a grab is a slow punch and can be treated like a punch if the grab part can be prevented.

Carl

8. The Following User Says Thank You to blfycdq For This Useful Post:

KenpoChanger (03-30-2007)

Thanks

Carl, thanks once again for posting your video clips.

I do agree with the "almost" thing but that is a minor detail. Could be a what if.

Your hands are fast but to me it seems you are not engaging your core and there was very little stance change during the technique shown. Again I am not there in person and video does not tell or show everything.

Once again I thank you for sharing your stuff. Overall I like your Kenpo.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Carl, thanks once again for posting your video clips.

I do agree with the "almost" thing but that is a minor detail. Could be a what if.

Your hands are fast but to me it seems you are not engaging your core and there was very little stance change during the technique shown. Again I am not there in person and video does not tell or show everything.

Once again I thank you for sharing your stuff. Overall I like your Kenpo.

Thanks Brother!

I am working on a dual camera set-up, so that my stance changes can be filmed along with my hands. This should clear-up some things!

-Regards,
    Carl

11. The Following User Says Thank You to blfycdq For This Useful Post:

Martin Seck (03-30-2007)

Thanks

Awesome, looking forward to it.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Thanks for sharing Carl. Looks like you two are enjoying your training a lot. That rocks!

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blfycdq View Post
    Never let them grab you! ... Cheat, never let them grab you,-- ever!!!! Train in such a way where you can always prevent the grab!
    Hi Carl,

This interests me a lot - as I personally feel that by never training to react to an applied grab, you are risking leaving an enormous gap in your training. Without surviving the attack, you may not get a chance to defend yourself.

Do you apply the same 'philosophy' (for want of a better word) to bearhug/push attacks?

Surely you can't always see someone's intention? It's entirely possible someone could grab you, and then you would find yourself in a situation your training may not have covered. What are your thoughts on this?

Respectfully,

Alex

Thanks

Never let them grab you! Strike when you feel something, so that you can prevent the grab/attack. Once a grab/ lock is applied it can be at times equal to being stabbed and or strucked. Cheat, never let them grab you,-- ever!!!! Train in such a way where you can always prevent the grab! Remember that a grab is a slow punch and can be treated like a punch if the grab part can be prevented.Carl
    For those of use who aren't martial gods and can actually get grabbed I find it useful to know what to do when it happens. Not all attacks happen from the front when you are waiting for it.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,147 Times in 468 Posts

I am working on a dual camera set-up, so that my stance changes can be filmed along with my hands. This should clear-up some things!

-Regards,
    Carl
    I hope so, but personally I watch hips when I comment on stance changes and not necessarily the feet. Alot of times your hips and belt knot stay in the same place regardless of which hand is attacking. Even if your feet are pivoting your hips aren't behind your blows some of the time. This clips is a prime example your rear (left) hip never advances , particularly on the left heel palm. That's power, mass and torque not being used

Please...move the man and take his space. don't practice switching in place to avoid going through him. Unless it was for the sake of staying in "camera angle".

Good flow as always
    James Hawkins III, SI
    Hawkins Martial Arts
    Baltimore, MD 410-948-1440
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FunctionalKenpo
    http://www.youtube.com/user/kenpojujitsu3

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,147 Times in 468 Posts

Never let them grab you! Strike when you feel something, so that you can prevent the grab/attack. Once a grab/ lock is applied it can be at times equal to being stabbed and or strucked. Cheat, never let them grab you,-- ever!!!! Train in such a way where you can always prevent the grab! Remember that a grab is a slow punch and can be treated like a punch if the grab part can be prevented.

Carl
    True - that's why all grab techniques can be viewed as "thank god that wasn't a punch". BUT there are mechanics that need to be learned in dealing with grabs, holds and hugs. If you NEVER let them do that you will never train for dealing with it and be caught off guard if you are ever actually grabbed.

THIS is unrealistic. Always training for the best case scenario is preparing yourself for failure in my opinion. There was already a thread on this before about attempted attacks. I'll summarize. If you're treating all grabs as punches and all punches as punches then you're only training for punches. When do you ever train for grabs (which are completely different for a number of anatomical and physics related reasons)?
    James Hawkins III, SI
    Hawkins Martial Arts
    Baltimore, MD 410-948-1440
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FunctionalKenpo
    http://www.youtube.com/user/kenpojujitsu3

18. The Following User Says Thank You to KenpoJuJitsu3 For This Useful Post:

Brother John (03-30-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

carl,

nice job and i appreciate you putting it out there for all of us.
    just to pick up on the grab vs. attempt theme, your execution was good and consistent with the timing of reading and responding to the attack.

however, it should be noted that the same technique would not be effective if, for some reason, the attacker actually latched on with his grab. your spinal structure would be compromised thus affecting your balance and ability to generate power in your strikes.

pete
    "Rust Never Sleeps" - N.Young.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

not sure what the last two bits of motion were doing.
    what was that?

thanks....

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

I hope so, but personally I watch hips when I comment on stance changes and not necessarily the feet. Alot of times your hips and belt knot stay in the same place regardless of which hand is attacking. Even if your feet are pivoting your hips aren't behind your blows some of the time. This clips is a prime example your rear (left) hip never advances , particularly on the left heel palm. That's power, mass and torque not being used

Please...move the man and take his space. don't practice switching in place to avoid going through him. Unless it was for the sake of staying in "camera angle".

Good flow as always

Yep, I did switch in place to capure this technique.
    ............kept going out of the camera range on other takes.

....Good points made again. I am digesting these as always so that I can implement these points in future moves. However, it will take some patience on my part, but I am confident that I am on the path of continued progress with the help of this forum.

Regards,
    Carl

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoJuJitsu3 View Post
    BUT there are mechanics that need to be learned in dealing with grabs, holds and hugs. If you NEVER let them do that you will never train for dealing with it and be caught off guard if you are ever actually grabbed.
    If you're treating all grabs as punches and all punches as punches then you're only training for punches. When do you ever train for grabs (which are completely different for a number of anatomical and physics related reasons)?
    I'll say this now, but make it your mantra (because it applies SO often) :
    James is RIGHT!! (yes bro, I AM kissing ass)

There are lots of techniques against a punch. I'll break it down even simpler than that. There are TONS of techs vs. an arm extending toward you. (wether it be a punch/push/grap/poke or tickle.....YES....tickle. I'll snap yer limb if you try it too!! )
    So...that's covered. When you address a grab, it's different. There's info to be learned and experience to be gained by addressing a grab AFTER it's latched on. If you don't learn it, you won't know it....and then can't do it.
    (BTW: There's another mantra... If you don't learn it, you won't know it....and then can't do it.)

if you turn all attacks that BEGIN with an arm moving toward you into defenses against punches, then you'll need to remove one whole section from the web of knowledge...
    which I HIGHLY recomend you do not.

I FULLY agree with your notion that you must keep an extending arm from reaching its destination! But that's not the point.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Thanks

wether it be a punch/push/grap/poke or tickle

OK.....
    question of the day...
    WHat the HELL is a grap?

Your Brother
    nhoJ
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ David Bly

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

not sure what the last two bits of motion were doing.
    what was that?

thanks....

Your Brother
    John

John,

After I claw the face and knee his groing/ leg, I immediately claw his face again with my left hand as I move up the circle with my left leg executing a right forearm shot to the back of the attacker's neck as I buckle his supporting left leg. From here I cross out to the front and knee him in the face as I clear the sene of destruction.

Hope this helps!
    -Carl

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Carl

In which case well done good clip also good to see the uki reacting a little as well

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links