Thread: 11 Kata's Taped

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default 11 Kata's Taped

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/shodan/files/Kenpo_Nov2006/

There's a bunch I taped from Wednesday this week - single takes, so they are what the are.

-Trevor

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: 11 Kata's Taped

I was hoping for some feedback on the posts... What I did differently is use a sleveless GI top, it should show the blocking much better where I find Gi's can hide a lot of errors.

I'll post, after vac: Long 5, Panther, Long 6, Staff Set 3, Long 7

Anyone have some sword or butterfly sword forms they can post?

Thanks!
    -Trevor
    Last edited by Kinetic; 11-10-2006 at 11:20 AM.

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

I watched the Long 1 clip. I'm not in Tracy's and only a blue belt, but it looks very crisp and powerful to me. In the first part before the triple blocks it looked like you did some of the same things I have done. My instructor calls it the windshield wiper effect. When you go into a forward bow your front foot looks like it straightens out instead of staying in a 45 degree angle. Perhaps this is just a difference in style? Altogether a great form, thanks for posting it!

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Question Re: 11 Kata's Taped

Takes alot of guts to put it out there for all to see... My question to you is. When you review it, what do you see?

1stJohn1:9

Thanks

Hi Trevor,

My original comments to you still stand. I would suggest you lower your blocks (especially the outward blocks) as they are blocking your face. I mean that you want to be able to see over them. (They are supposed to block you face. lol)

I can see your intensity when you're doing them and that's a good thing.

In long two, you step up to a horse in the almost last move. If you stepped back, you would end much closer to where you started.

I think one of the biggest things you could work on is to straighten your back at your lower spine. Kenpoists are fiercely proud (dare I saw cocky) practitioners. We stand very straight. That would help a lot.

I also have a question about your upward blocks. I've always done them by punching straight to the sky, then turning it out like the roof of a house, then bringing them back in the same way. Were you taught differently?

In the opening move of form 4, I notice you are doing the kick to 12 o'clock. Maybe I ask your application? When I do it, I'm blocking a left right punch combination and my kick goes to about 2, towards the opponent's inner thigh. Since you're kicking to 12, I'm assuming you have different targets.

We've been laughing in class recently (since we have people from so many different backgrounds) about where the targets are and what strikes to use, so I'm asking you as well.

Thanks for posting.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

If you step up in the beginning you step up in the end and visa versa. At least that is the golden rule that I have been taught.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate View Post
    If you step up in the beginning you step up in the end and visa versa. At least that is the golden rule that I have been taught.

Well, if the technique in long two is for a charge, and the first two of the three moves are a check and an elbow to the spine ... then the third one (as I learned it) is a sandwich to the head, after you've guided their head into your elbow. And since it fits as well to do it that way for spacing purposes, it makes sense to step back.

That's why I was questioning application.
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

Now I got what you are talking about. I thought you meant at the very end, while closing.
    Last edited by parkerkarate; 11-10-2006 at 02:36 PM.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Well, you did ask.......

I saw some excellent foot transitions. It's my feeling that most people neglect their footwork focusing primarily on their upper body. So kudos for that!

I do have a question... It appeared that you were executing some outside downward blocks at one point in the form. I'm not familiar with Tracy forms so please correct me if I'm wrong about that. But, it seemed you were circling up, around, and then down to execute them. Here's my question: If you were truly executing a downward block to an attack, say a front kick, do you think this manner of execution would be practical? The reason I ask is that upon execution you would literally be moving the block away from the attack before coming around again and intercepting it along its angle of entry. I used to exagerate this block in a similar manner until being corrected so maybe that's why it stuck out to me. But it does make more sense to take the shortest path to the attacking weapon. Is the movement exagerated for performance value?

Hey, I'm not perfect by any means and it does take a lot of guts to put yourself out there! Overall, I'd say you did an excellent job!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks
    Thanked 3,139 Times in 1,484 Posts

Hi Trevor,

I'm glad to see some Tracy's people posting. Seems a lot of Epak people post their stuff, but we don't see much from Tracys. I myself haven't posted, I dont' have a digital camera and don't know how to post video, and I haven't gotten comfortable enough with the idea to do so. So my hat's off to you for posting your stuff.

I'll make a couple observations, you can take it or leave it, however you will.

It looks to me like you are using a lot of physical force and muscular strength to generate your power. It tends to create a lot of tension in the body, and in some cases it sort of looks like you are hunching your shoulders because of it. My suggestion is that you work on relaxing a bit. Once you get the knack of it, you can actually generate as much, or even more power while being relaxed. You will not hunch your shoulders, and you will actually not need to work so hard. In all fairness, I didn't start to clue into this myself, until I started studying the Chinese arts.

I also notice that your movements sometimes seem a bit exaggerated. Maybe this is connected to the use of physical force and strength. Again, as you relax, the exaggeration may dwindle.

I think there are different reasons and approaches to doing forms. DangeRuss posted somewhere a thought that I liked, in doing forms. He stated that he does them with each technique at full speed, as if he was doing it in a fight, against a real opponent. Keep it as realistic as possible.

But I think another way to do forms is more slowly and deliberately and thoughtfully, in order to focus on the fine details and make sure every point is in place. In this case, I would expect the movements to be more exaggerated.

I personally tend to do forms the first way, and it looks to me like you may be doing them the second way. Some of the movements, like portions of Mass Attack for example (whirling blades?), were slowed down to a speed that I think wouldn't be useful in a fight, but does allow for attention to detail. I think either way is good and useful and it just depends on your purpose in practicing them. I suppose to some degree they should be done both ways, but I guess we all have our favorite way and probably tend to do it that way most often.

In all honesty, since I began studying the Chinese arts I have found the kenpo forms to sometimes have an odd flow to them, in comparison. I didn't realize this until I had something different to compare them with. I still tend to fall back on old habits of using muscular force, when I do my kenpo forms. I have a difficult time importing the same sense of relaxation from my Chinese forms, into my kenpo forms. I think this may have to do with how the Kenpo forms are put together and how they flow. Always something to work on, I suppose

At any rate, thanks for posting. I hope my comments have been useful, and if not feel free to ignore them.

All the best.
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Thank you for posting the clips.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Hit your basics hard every day (check your blocks). Watch the bouncing.

Good intensity and good martial spirit for posting.

Keep it up and you will achieve your goals.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

It takes a lot of guts to put it out there not just for people to look at and give feedback but your asking for feedback form students of the same art. With that said your basics bend your knees drop your weight and lock in to your bows that will help with the bouncing. hope this helps.
    "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else, YOU are the one who gets burned."
    Buddha.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong View Post
    Hi Trevor,

I also have a question about your upward blocks. I've always done them by punching straight to the sky, then turning it out like the roof of a house, then bringing them back in the same way. Were you taught differently?
    In Tracy's, we are taught to bring the arm across the chest at a 45 degree angle, then go up.

In the opening move of form 4, I notice you are doing the kick to 12 o'clock. Maybe I ask your application? When I do it, I'm blocking a left right punch combination and my kick goes to about 2, towards the opponent's inner thigh. Since you're kicking to 12, I'm assuming you have different targets.
    The technique is Mantis, and done as you say, but in Tracy's, the opponent is at 3 o'clock, and ends with a spearhand to the throat after the kick. In Long #4, it is modified to be done to 12 o'clock for the opening.

Hope that helps.

Sorry Trevor, I guess I ought to let you answer, huh!?!

Kudos to Trevor, by the way. The first Tracy's person to really put a significant video offering out there. We're catching up, though!
    Dave

"I consider that the spiritual life is the life of man's real self, the life of that interior self whose flame is so often allowed to be smothered under the ashes of anxiety and futile concern." - Thomas Merton

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Thanks for posting that KenpoDave, all weekend I've been in the car driving to NY, I just got here at 2 AM last night.

I'll get a chance some time (hopefully) tonight after I've roamed the city tonight to give some answers to the questions asked.

Any Kenpo dojo's in NY that I can visit?

-Trevor

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
    Thanks for posting that KenpoDave, all weekend I've been in the car driving to NY, I just got here at 2 AM last night.

I'll get a chance some time (hopefully) tonight after I've roamed the city tonight to give some answers to the questions asked.

Any Kenpo dojo's in NY that I can visit?

-Trevor
    Love to see some more of the techniques themselves. Will you be filming those anytime soon?
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/shodan/f.../twin_tech.wmv

Hey,

There's a number of attacks I threw at my Sensi a week ago, if you wanted to see ... I'll post what they are technique by technique tonight if you like.

-Trevor

* I'm also in the process of doing a breakdown of particular line and circle techniques....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
    http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/shodan/f.../twin_tech.wmv

Hey,

There's a number of attacks I threw at my Sensi a week ago, if you wanted to see ... I'll post what they are technique by technique tonight if you like.

-Trevor

* I'm also in the process of doing a breakdown of particular line and circle techniques....
    Sounds great looking forward to seeing them.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

When you post your clips it becomes a learning experiance for all of us. Thanks for posting.
    There is nothing so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.
    Unquestionably man has his will - but woman has her way! - Bruce Lee

Thanks

Do you rent a warehouse space? I noticed the door in the area you are training? Reason I ask is I am looking for a new spot and ideas.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links