Thread: Short #3

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Default Short #3

Me playing around trying to learn how to work the camera.
    Dave

"I consider that the spiritual life is the life of man's real self, the life of that interior self whose flame is so often allowed to be smothered under the ashes of anxiety and futile concern." - Thomas Merton

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Short #3

Hi Dave,

It looks great, clean stances, blocks and striking lines. I noticed all the kata's you had posted on you site, they look great. What I really liked was the calmness but obvious power that exists when you block and strike, I'm going to give that a try (thanks!)

I noticed you do the same transition from opening cowel to Crash of the Eagle Part II that I perform from 1:30 .... but I was wondering if we should cross step to 4:30 after opening cowel to perform Crash of the Eagle Part II since the opponent is to 9? I was just looking at the kata structurally and it seems to make sense to do that

(have a look)
    http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/shodan/f...ort_3_kata.wmv

Just me thinking out loud
    Trevor

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpodave View Post
    Me playing around trying to learn how to work the camera.
    Nice work. thanks for posting a video!
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

Hi Dave,

Thanks for posting! Tara and I were working on short 3 last night and doing it on the other side. Not as easy as we'd hoped it would be!

I can see that you are clearly thinking when you're doing your kata, which is important. Your kicks have nice snap to them.

If I may, I'd suggest that you be aware of keeping your heel pressed to the floor during your forward bows. I don't know if that's just because the camera is on your or not, but I thought I'd throw it out.

Thanks again and feel free to put up more!

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong View Post
    Hi Dave,

If I may, I'd suggest that you be aware of keeping your heel pressed to the floor during your forward bows.
    --Amy
    I do the same thing. Any suggestions?

Love the fact you all are brave enough to post your clips. Thanks, from a newbie!
    There is nothing so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.
    Unquestionably man has his will - but woman has her way! - Bruce Lee

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Angel View Post
    I do the same thing. Any suggestions?
    Without seeing you, be mindful of a few things.
    1) Be sure that your shoulders are back and you're not reaching forward when you strike.
    2) Be sure to have proper heal/toe alignment before shifting from NB to FB. If you don't, you'll feel twisted up and your heel will most likely come off the ground.
    3) Make sure your stance is not too wide. You may try shortening a little and see if that helps.

Other than that, practice shifting NB to FB and back. I usually work this with a line on a carpet or something similar so I can place my toes from one foot and my heel of the other foot on the line. Then shift and make sure the line is still in between your feet. Shift back and check your alignment again.
    Loyal student of Sifu DangeRuss
    Sam Pai Kenpo

"Jeet Kune Do: it's just a name; don't fuss over it. There's no such thing as a style if you understand the roots of combat." -Bruce Lee

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Hi Arizona Angel,

Sometimes a shorter stance will help where it could be flexability, other times it's just being aware. I know the students that are practiced with the heel coming up are sometimes boxers, it's how they train.

I find I draw a lot of power from the ground by locking my rear heel in. Where I'm lighter at 176 lbs, when I strike heavier objects (220lbs plus) I need the grounding so I can deliver all that kinetic energy into an opponent and not rock back and absorb it or potentially lose my balance. As a trick, if I need the distance to punch through an opponent, I bend the front leg a litte more to gain the distance I need so I'll never lead with the head and keep the shoulders down and not lungeing in the process.

-Trevor

Thanks

Mostly it's practice to keep your heel on the ground.

Back straight is another.

But usually, if your heel is off the ground it's because you're in a hurry to get to the next strike. If you slow down and allow that amazing strike to reverberate off of their now-quivering bodies, then you'll keep it on the ground.
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong View Post
    If I may, I'd suggest that you be aware of keeping your heel pressed to the floor during your forward bows. I don't know if that's just because the camera is on your or not, but I thought I'd throw it out.
    You caught that, did you? I knew it when I did it, but was preparing to leave to pick up my son from work and did not re-film.

Good catch!
    Dave

"I consider that the spiritual life is the life of man's real self, the life of that interior self whose flame is so often allowed to be smothered under the ashes of anxiety and futile concern." - Thomas Merton

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
    Hi Dave,

It looks great, clean stances, blocks and striking lines. I noticed all the kata's you had posted on you site, they look great. What I really liked was the calmness but obvious power that exists when you block and strike, I'm going to give that a try (thanks!)

I noticed you do the same transition from opening cowel to Crash of the Eagle Part II that I perform from 1:30 .... but I was wondering if we should cross step to 4:30 after opening cowel to perform Crash of the Eagle Part II since the opponent is to 9? I was just looking at the kata structurally and it seems to make sense to do that

(have a look)
    http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/shodan/f...ort_3_kata.wmv

Just me thinking out loud
    Trevor
    Thanks, Trevor. Lot's of intensity and power in yours.

For that particular transition, once I make the step to 1:30, my opponent, for the purposes of the form, is at 7:30. Were he at 9, I would agree with you, because it would make sense structurally.
    Dave

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links