Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JFarnsworth's Form 4

Thanks

Default JFarnsworth's Form 4

Hi.

Because I have the technical 'expertise' (I use the term loosely), I'm posting form 4 here from JFarnsworth (Jason)

Let's hear some feedback.

I like the crispness of his kicks. I like the intensity.

My suggestion is that I noticed that you are bouncing in certain parts of the kata. Thundering Hammers and the eye strikes with your back to us. You didn't do that on your short form 3, so it may be specific to this kata. I've noticed myself doing the same thing at different times. That's part of the beauty of video.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to amylong For This Useful Post:

Martin Seck (02-15-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: JFarnsworth's Form 4

insider's note: that was just totally gratuitous.

good job "J". very clear articulation. i will say that it would be nice to see another version that was up to speed and with intensity.
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

SUPPORT KENPOTALK:http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/payments.php

Ceicei is offline Knowledge Seeker
    Thanks

This form 4 is very, very nicely done! He went smoothly and the kicks were crisp. I was thinking there was something a little off with the way the hands were moving, but I can't quite figure what it is. I'll think about it some more later and view the clip again for better feedback.

I'm at work, so cannot spend too much time here.

- Ceicei
    Studying martial arts is for life, not for the color of the belt.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Hey there-

Flow and timing on 4 look good- thanks for posting so we can all check it out and pick it apart.......ha!! Kidding

You actually move a lot like one of my old instructors and I can tell you are a Planas person. My only critique (which is hard, because maybe you learned it this way)- but......try to see/visualize the attacker in front of you on each move- as though he/she is your same height. That said- try to lower some of your strikes to where they would be on the body......ex. strikes to body in Thundering Hammers (and others) look a little high in the air. Otherwise.....nice work!!

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cameypsaromatis
    good job "J". very clear articulation. i will say that it would be nice to see another version that was up to speed and with intensity.
    I know that speeding it up is what would be wanted. When Kenpodoc's daughter filmed those forms we had discussed a few different things. One and the most important to us was that the film was to be used for the students at our studio. They weren't to be shared with all. I moved slower so if a student had a question or wanted to follow along at midnight or something they had a video to go by. I do have a film when I competed at a tournament in which I won the mens black belt division with form 4. It's obviously high paced.

Thank you for the comment.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ceicei
    This form 4 is very, very nicely done! He went smoothly and the kicks were crisp. I was thinking there was something a little off with the way the hands were moving, but I can't quite figure what it is. I'll think about it some more later and view the clip again for better feedback.
    Thanks for the comments. I'm always open to suggestions and any criticism whether be good or bad. Please share with whatever your thoughts may be.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth
    I do have a film when I competed at a tournament in which I won the mens black belt division with form 4. It's obviously high paced.

Thank you for the comment.
    Seeing is believing, buddyboy. Do you have it on DVD? If so, send it to me and I'll put it up.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan
    Flow and timing on 4 look good- thanks for posting so we can all check it out and pick it apart.......ha!! Kidding
    Again, thanks for the comments. Pick apart whatever you want I'm not phased by what most would think would hurt their feelings.

You actually move a lot like one of my old instructors and I can tell you are a Planas person. My only critique (which is hard, because maybe you learned it this way)- but......try to see/visualize the attacker in front of you on each move- as though he/she is your same height. That said- try to lower some of your strikes to where they would be on the body......ex. strikes to body in Thundering Hammers (and others) look a little high in the air. Otherwise.....nice work!!
    I try extremely had to be as precise as possible when working the forms. Anyone that's in the same room as me could tell you that . As for the annunciation part goes, I've had 2 senior Kenpoist look at my forms and both each; at different times told me to work on the same things. I know my forms aren't perfect, and i'm far from being perfect. Some of the things I've had questions on were actually answered to me a couple of weeks ago. Mr. Wedlake came in to do a set of seminars and the first 1 was on 4. What a great feeling it was to step through it beside him with only a handful of people there. Covering each move and transition 1 by 1. Awesome feeling.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    Seeing is believing, buddyboy. Do you have it on DVD? If so, send it to me and I'll put it up.

--Amy
    It's on a vhs tape. I have a picture somewhere of when they awarded me my trophy.

Thanks

It's on a vhs tape. I have a picture somewhere of when they awarded me my trophy.
    I'm not doubting that you won. I want to see the kata that you won with.

--Amy

Thanks

I see.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Excellent! Very impressive.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

sigung86 is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Wright City, Missouri, United States, 113653311978716, Wright City, Missouri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 729 Posts

Jason,

I do the Tracy version of Long 4 (Same Form, different emphasis)... LOL!

Have to say that I really enjoyed your performance. Crisp, clean, visual and very useful ... And don't tell Rob, or Amy, but I think I like the EPAK version of the kata better than my own.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan Farmer

Thanks

Mr. Farmer,
    Thank you for the nice words.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Form is looking very good.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

Thanks for the comments. I'm always open to suggestions and any criticism whether be good or bad. Please share with whatever your thoughts may be.
    Jason, I'll make two comments here, if you don't mind.

I know through our past discussions, our training seems to be pretty similiar, although I am much more inexperienced. Your greater experience has you keeping your head up, and your body straight, where I would be looking down and getting whacked.

One point I worked on recently was in the technique is 'Shield and Mace', (in your video, at ticker 1:28) the body mechanics include two drops ... first is the block-punch as we pivot, then a hammer fist to the top of the hip, dropping in our stance to utilize marriage of gravity. After which, our hand circles to the claw to the face, then we 'jump the check', continuing the circle to handsword the back of the leg, as we drop a second time to a wide kneel. This handsword clears the line for the knife edge kick to the back of the attackers rear leg.

On both sides, you execute a great drop to the wide kneel, but it appears the hammer fist to the hip, and the first drop are not evident.

Also, I'm curious ... care to share to what those two seniors directed your attention?

Thanks

I have see so many people start a form nice and sharp and than by the time they are half way done it is all sloppy. But yours was excellent. I have also seen 20 millions finger excersizes and yours adds to the list.

All in all. Excellent.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by michaeledward
    Jason, I'll make two comments here, if you don't mind.
    I don't mind at all. I asked Amy to put it up to spark conversation. I take all comments, good or bad.

One point I worked on recently was in the technique is 'Shield and Mace', (in your video, at ticker 1:28) the body mechanics include two drops ... first is the block-punch as we pivot, then a hammer fist to the top of the hip, dropping in our stance to utilize marriage of gravity. After which, our hand circles to the claw to the face, then we 'jump the check', continuing the circle to handsword the back of the leg, as we drop a second time to a wide kneel. This handsword clears the line for the knife edge kick to the back of the attackers rear leg.
    This is how I would do it as well. Lower to get some power into the hammerfist on top of the pelvis bone and the other to obviously get the back of the knee.
    On both sides, you execute a great drop to the wide kneel, but it appears the hammer fist to the hip, and the first drop are not evident.
    I would have to watch it again to see the part you are talking about. I will look at it sometime over this weekend and let you know if I was in error.

Also, I'm curious ... care to share to what those two seniors directed your attention?
    Can I give you an offline message to that?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    I have see so many people start a form nice and sharp and than by the time they are half way done it is all sloppy. But yours was excellent. I have also seen 20 millions finger excersizes and yours adds to the list.

All in all. Excellent.
    Thank you for the comment, Sir.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

I would have to watch it again
    So I just went back and looked at my posting of Form 4.

It's kind of amazing how the picture memory I have in my brain of my clip is nowhere near what the actual clip looks like. Now, my clip was from nine months ago ... ... but jeesh ... I knew it was a bit choppy and my head was down a bit ... but, by comparison, you set a high bar.

I'm going to have to re-film myself ... and watch myself again too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links