Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crossing Talons from MLKKA

Thanks

Default Crossing Talons from MLKKA

Hi.

Since Crossing Talons sparked such a huge discussion a little while ago, MLKKA offered to share a clip from his video set. He has tremendous kenpo skill, but less impressive computer skills () , so I offered to post it for him.

This is a clip of Crossing Talon, with the extension.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to amylong For This Useful Post:

Brother John (02-17-2007),Martin Seck (02-15-2007),NickName99 (02-17-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Crossing Talons from MLKKA

I couldn't play it. My computer says it's corrupt. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

try right-clicking and saving it to your computer.

Thanks

Looks good.

We do it slightly different.

After you pull his head into your elbow, we dont do the back-knuckle we claw-rake backwards continuing the circle and finish the technique as you do.

I can see the back-knuckle still follows the path of the circle so it make sense.

Thanks for sharing it.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

The only thing that I do not do is the back-knuckle, but it made me think. It could deffinitly be in there. Thanks for the post and making me think some.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Thanks for the post! I see he applies it also with the wrist lock aspect as one version as well as executing a switch and pulling the opponent in to an arm bar. He's very smooth and precise with his maneuvers. Very Impressive!

I do have a technical question. I notice upon execution of the arm twist/bar that the instructor steps deeply into the opponent. He instructs to thrust your hip into your opponents side. He does not apply any leg/knee checks in the maneuver. I was curious as to why?

Here's my perspective to aid in understanding why I pose the question: Due to the position of the oppoent's leg behind the defenders, if the opponent were to fall backwards he would likely take the defender down with him. My reasoning is based on the position of the legs. If the defenders leg pops up, even inadvertantly, it would strike the defenders leg behind the thigh in an area that is acutally usually targeted by opponent's for kicks anyway. This would cause the defender to lose thier balance and be pulled down by the weight of the falling attacker (since you're holding onto him/and likely he is holding onto you.)

I was taught to keep a leg check when executing this techique, otherwise it's pretty much the same-move for move. I'm always looking for ways to improve on my training and would appreciate your (or anyone eles's) input. =) Thanks!

Respectfully,
    C-C
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Crippler,

we also do the leg check as we drop low and pull them into an horizontal elbow. Ouch!
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

First thing I noticed was the 'pin' as the first defensive action - i.e. what Doc was talking about a while ago re: crossing talons pin or no pin. Seems to be alot more control this way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB
    First thing I noticed was the 'pin' as the first defensive action - i.e. what Doc was talking about a while ago re: crossing talons pin or no pin. Seems to be alot more control this way.
    I find the pin creates more control. It can work fine without the pin, but that pin sends the person rocketing downward to escape the pain.

And, as we know....there is no escape! Muhhahahahahahahah! (nod to crippler for the evil laugh.)

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

Thanks

What did I do!?!?! LOL
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

You often write muhahahahahahahahah.

So I was giving you a nod, acknowledging that you say it.

And as far as what you did, that's between you and your probation officer.

--Amy

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

If you are doing the arm bar correctly, he will not be able to shift backwards at all. If you do feel any resistance, simply attack the pressure point at the back of the elbow. It is a nasty rub point. From this position you can also do a leg swep and dislocate the shoulder. So far I have never had anyone be able to shift under my leg. One other thing that I do now is shift into a rotating twist on the initial move. It aligns you for the step thru and loads your left leg for a nice knee shot to the opponents thigh in case you need it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MLKKA For This Useful Post:

Martin Seck (02-15-2007)

Thanks

Mike,
    You want me to post the clip from the base moves that shows the rotating twist stance?

--Amy

Thanks

Yes, I would like to see that. Muahahahahahahaha

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MLKKA
    If you are doing the arm bar correctly, he will not be able to shift backwards at all. If you do feel any resistance, simply attack the pressure point at the back of the elbow. It is a nasty rub point. From this position you can also do a leg swep and dislocate the shoulder. So far I have never had anyone be able to shift under my leg. One other thing that I do now is shift into a rotating twist on the initial move. It aligns you for the step thru and loads your left leg for a nice knee shot to the opponents thigh in case you need it.
    One of the counters for the standing armbar is to post your free hand down on the ground, then sweep both legs against the back of the armbarer's knees. A good knee check prevents that. In this case there is no shift backward at all, its a quick counter with no warning if you don't know what to look for.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

Thanks

I found out by accident when working with a partner once that pulling the attacker into the armbar can help make the knee check quite destructive. When I applied the armbar I upset his balance and he stepped into my check buckling his own knee. He laid on the mat for a while after that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    I found out by accident when working with a partner once that pulling the attacker into the armbar can help make the knee check quite destructive. When I applied the armbar I upset his balance and he stepped into my check buckling his own knee. He laid on the mat for a while after that.
    Don't you love it when they do your work for you?

I can picture that happening.

--Amy

Thanks

Cool video clip, brining it back out from the depths.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Seck For This Useful Post:

amylong (02-15-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,585 Times in 2,191 Posts

Nice technique! Our version from the orange belt is half as long and a little different. After the elbow to the head, the elbow grinds down the spine to keep him down, and then you pull up into a crane stance. The elbow gets dropped between the shoulder blades as you come down into a neutral bow.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Talking Re: Crossing Talons from MLKKA

i do the pin first,in arnis it is called a center lock and i apply it forwards and down (the fulcrum version like short 3). if you have the armbar set deep then you shouldn't have to worry about the counter to the legs so the knee check is not necessary. two things that make kenpo work pain and realistic reaction,he isn't thinking counter while you would be feeding him that EFFECTIVE elbow. the vertical elbow to the spine is a shorter arc,don't let the opponent rise up on you and the way i finish it is not just a palm and knee but i grab the opponents far ear turn the head away from me and smash the hinge of the jaw with my knee after that the extension should not be needed,if it is you must be more effective with your base moves. just the way i do it, i thought i would give some food for tought.
    later
    Jason Arnold
    CANADA
    Parker/Planas Lineage
    Presas/Hartman Arnis
    Hartsell/Irish JKD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links