Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Turn --- Form 4 --- from a private lesson

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

Default My Turn --- Form 4 --- from a private lesson

There is no sound on this video. I'm not really sure why I can't grab the sound along with the video. It may be a simple as a bad cable for my camcorder.

This is Form 4 from a private lesson last fall. This take is from the beginning of my lesson. There were quite a few things discussed during the lesson.

I have broken the Form out into three pieces, just for file size management. Each file is between 2 and 3 Megabytes.

I look forward to your constructive comments.

Part 1 - approximately 60 seconds

http://home.sprynet.com/~michaeledwa...m_4_Part_1.wmv

Part 2 - approximately 60 seconds

http://home.sprynet.com/~michaeledwa...m_4_Part_2.wmv

Part 3 - approximately 40 seconds

http://home.sprynet.com/~michaeledwa...m_4_Part_3.wmv

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: My Turn --- Form 4 --- from a private lesson

Looks pretty good. Stay the course, and keep practicing, in no time this form will be flowing beautifully.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Coolness! Glad you posted. A question or two if I may.

I noticed you had a lot of movement in several of your techniques, like Thundering Hammers, for instance. You travelled a lot. Was that because you were just learning it or was there a reason given.

Bear in mind that I'm asking with total respect. Your strikes and such were very much like mine, but I don't use as much space.

I like the lines on the floor too. Looks like it would make it easier to keep track of the directions.

Thanks for posting it!

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

It dosen't look that bad at all. A few things: are there notes on the ground or something? Make sure you undersand what you are hitting tha way when you do the form you look like you are supposed the strike when it is meant to be. What is with the whole noding your head no when most of the time you are doingit right?

I get a lot of lanky guys like you and do not take that as a bad thing. You are justa big guy. Make sure that you extend you strikes more. Sometimes you feet are catching up to your hands and others your hands are catching up to your feet.

But all in all not too shaby man.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    I noticed you had a lot of movement in several of your techniques, like Thundering Hammers, for instance. You travelled a lot. Was that because you were just learning it or was there a reason given.
    --Amy
    I don't know what movement to which you are referring. If you can be a bit more descriptive, I can perhaps exlain why I was doing what you were observing.

At the time of this video, I had been working through the halfway horse for more than a year; so the Thundering Hammers part was not still being learned ... although, you may notice some stuttering in second half of the form (Bowing to Buddha, Prance of the Tiger)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    It dosen't look that bad at all. A few things: are there notes on the ground or something? Make sure you undersand what you are hitting tha way when you do the form you look like you are supposed the strike when it is meant to be. What is with the whole noding your head no when most of the time you are doingit right?

I get a lot of lanky guys like you and do not take that as a bad thing. You are justa big guy. Make sure that you extend you strikes more. Sometimes you feet are catching up to your hands and others your hands are catching up to your feet.

But all in all not too shaby man.
    Lanky ...? ? ... Lanky ? ?
    Hell man, I'm only 5'8".

As far as the shaking and nodding of the head ... trying to keep my brain engaged. This private lesson occured after a three hour seminar with the man by the post. In the past, the lessons were before the seminar; much better that way; haven't been hit as much, still fresh

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by michaeledward
    Lanky ...? ? ... Lanky ? ?
    Hell man, I'm only 5'8".

As far as the shaking and nodding of the head ... trying to keep my brain engaged. This private lesson occured after a three hour seminar with the man by the post. In the past, the lessons were before the seminar; much better that way; haven't been hit as much, still fresh
    Sorry I guess the camara puts on some height? Never heard of that before but I am only 5' 6''. So everyone is lanky to me lol. Old school= getting hit by high ranking black belts. It builds character as Mr. Palanzo always says. LOL.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

I know in the past when at a camp where Huk Planas working Thundering Hammers he had us doing a little more forward travel into the the initial strike and afterward. The reason being when you strike someone with the forearm they will bend over but they will also move backwards, so you will have to move into them to continue the technique.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

michaeledward, Mate firstly if takes a great deal of courage to put your self out there and share your lesson with the rest of the world,

Just a few questions if I may, How long have you been studying kenpo?

Before commencing learning long form 4, were you totally formula with all the techniques contained with in the form?

Aftter completing your form ,What was your Instructors comments pertaining to your form 4?

My questions are not to discredit you but to allow me to put things into perspective.

Cheers Hammer

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hammer
    Just a few questions if I may, How long have you been studying kenpo?

Before commencing learning long form 4, were you totally formula with all the techniques contained with in the form?

Aftter completing your form ,What was your Instructors comments pertaining to your form 4?
    I have been studying Kenpo for about five years now. At the studio where I study, we use a modified 16 technique per belt system. Form 4 is learned through the second brown belt and first brown belt time frame.

Most of the techniques in the form have been learned through those belt levels, but not all; I have not yet been formally instructed in the techniques Bowing to Buddha or Reversing Circles. We do not include Darting Leaves as a self-defense technique in our course of study.

This was the third or forth private lesson reviewing Form 4. We continued to work on many items throughout the form. We should probably continue with another eight or ten private lessons on this form. Some of the specific items we addressed at this lesson were.
    • Elbow strike timing on Protecting Fans
    • Direction of the elbow strikes in Flashing Wings
    • Circle the blocks & strikes on Circles of Protection
    • Where the hammer strikes are at the end of Thundering Hammers
    • Transitions between left-side & right side
    And there were many more.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I have been studying Kenpo for about five years now. At the studio where I study, we use a modified 16 technique per belt system. Form 4 is learned through the second brown belt and first brown belt time frame.

Most of the techniques in the form have been learned through those belt levels, but not all; I have not yet been formally instructed in the techniques Bowing to Buddha or Reversing Circles. We do not include Darting Leaves as a self-defense technique in our course of study.

This was the third or forth private lesson reviewing Form 4. We continued to work on many items throughout the form. We should probably continue with another eight or ten private lessons on this form. Some of the specific items we addressed at this lesson were.
    • Elbow strike timing on Protecting Fans
    • Direction of the elbow strikes in Flashing Wings
    • Circle the blocks & strikes on Circles of Protection
    • Where the hammer strikes are at the end of Thundering Hammers
    • Transitions between left-side & right side
    And there were many more.
    Cool thanks for taking the time to respond

Cheers
    Hammer

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: My Turn --- Form 4 --- from a private lesson

Good job and thanks for posting! For just learning it you have the base moves down! Some things I would work on (had to work on myself)

errect posture, you are tending to lean forward a little displacing your center of gravity,

continuity of motion (will come with time and practice)

Pretty good bro! Good solid base to build on! Thanks for sharing with everyone!
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I thought your moves and strikes were very crisp and precise. Outstanding! I did see some slight differences compared to the way I perform it...but hey....it's about self-expression right? Keep up the hard training! Good job. Salute!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

michaeledward,

Attach is a link to Mr Collado site Kenpohands, he as an interesting artical on form 4, some do"s AND donts. http://www.kenpohands.com/long4.htm

I have refered to this artical a few times, a great resource,

Cheers Hammer

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

MichaelEdward,

Thanks for sharing your Long 4 with us. A wonderful work in progress. Keep training hard, you're doing a great job. Keep you back straight and your knees bent (at least that's what my instructor always tells me!)

Hey Hammer! I love that article, i've read it so many times and Mr. Collardo is an amazing forms practitioner.

Peace!

Donna

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    I thought your moves and strikes were very crisp and precise. Outstanding! I did see some slight differences compared to the way I perform it...but hey....it's about self-expression right? Keep up the hard training! Good job. Salute!
    I'm not sure it is about self-expression.
    I'm curious about the differences. If you can describe them, please do.

m

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

At the begining of the form you execute an upward elbow strike where we do a straight punch for instance. Just minor differences really.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

I don't know what movement to which you are referring. If you can be a bit more descriptive, I can perhaps exlain why I was doing what you were observing.
    Well, there are several places, Thundering Hammers being one of them. I believe Destructive Kneel is another. (I'm foggy on names this morning) where you move through the technique several stance widths, it appears.

If I were doing Thundering Hammers, I'd shuffle forward maybe one stance width, then proceed to with the hammerfists. I notice you moved forward several stance widths, then moved back just about as far.

Same for Destructive Kneel.

Not finding fault; just curious.

I thought your movements were very crisp.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

Thanks

The one thing we all have to take into context is just before this private lesson and video was shot he finished a 3 hour seminar with Huk Planas. For those who never have had that pleasure, it is very draining, the fact that he is doing his private lesson after this seminar is a testament to his drive.

It is one thing to do a form in front of a camera when you are fresh, it is a completely different story to do it after a 3 hour seminar in you were both physically and mentally exhausted.

Thanks

Hi Rob,

Nobody's finding fault; just questioning how they do their form. It's hard to tell when you see something on video if that's how it is taught or merely how the person is doing it.

On my clip of form 4, for instance, I was doing darting leaves totally out of order. It's not taught that way; I just have been practicing wrong.

I understand being tired and having to perform. The thing that's hard about testing at Tatum's camp is that we've all just finished 5 hours of seminars over the course of the day and then we all have to look fresh and excited about doing a test. Ugh.

--Amy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links