Thread: 2004 Vegas Camp BB Test

Thanks

Default 2004 Vegas Camp BB Test

Here are a couple of clips from my black belt test. I'm actually kind of embarrassed to post them, but I figured 'what the heck'. After the first two techniques, my instructor inadvertently fell on my knee on thundering hammers. Larry edited it out of the video, which is too bad because I wanted to see where I went wrong. The second clip is right after that. I think I did one more technique, but it may be that Larry told me to sit down. I could barely walk -- I just didn't know it. It's still healing, but it's getting better. I'm debating posting the kata because basically I hopped through it.

I've also trained a ton more since then. Excuses Excuses.

--Amy
    Last edited by amylong; 02-12-2006 at 02:07 PM.
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to amylong For This Useful Post:

Martin Seck (02-15-2007)

Thanks

Default Re: 2004 Vegas Camp BB Test

Get him Amy get him. Very nice. Short and sweet.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I'd be a wabbly mess with all those people watching. You did great! Sorry you got hurt on your test though. NOT THIS YEAR!!!
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

SUPPORT KENPOTALK:http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/payments.php

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Injuries are not excuses, they're reasons. As long as you don't let them become crutches (and you definately have not) then you are fine.
    I'm still waiting to watch them (I have dial up still) but I look forward to seeing it!
    "Second chances they don't never matter, people never change
    Once a whore you're nothing more i'm sorry that'll never change
    And about forgiveness, we're both supposed to have exchanged
    I'm sorry honey, but i'm passing up, now look this way...*" --Paramore "Misery Business"

(*this is where a punch would be landed)

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Nice stuff.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Very crisp.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Thanks, but I think you all need to raise your standards.

I posted those clips for contrast. (to the more recent stuff)

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Amylong,

I have enjoyed watching your clips, both of your technique forms, and black belt test, and appreciate you sharing them with the rest of us.

Just a question or two if I may, having never travelled to the states , or seen so many blackbelts in one room. Could you share with us how the test was structured, requirements, time etc?

Cheers
    Hammer

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hammer
    Amylong,

I have enjoyed watching your clips, both of your technique forms, and black belt test, and appreciate you sharing them with the rest of us.

Just a question or two if I may, having never travelled to the states , or seen so many blackbelts in one room. Could you share with us how the test was structured, requirements, time etc?

Cheers
    Hammer
    Hi. Thanks. I'm happy to help. The way it was structured was that all the black belts who wanted to (preferably 3rd degree and up, but others jumped up as well), sat on the board. Tatum sat in the middle and called out techniques.

First, Tatum had someone call out some warm-up kicks and such (although we'd had about 5 hours of seminars that day, so I personally was pretty warm).

We each took turns doing 3 or 4 techniques on someone from the board which Tatum called out, starting out with the lower belts, up to the two-man attacks of brown.

After we'd all gotten to do those, we took turns doing katas, either in groups or individually. Then we did sparring. Having been injured, I called out that I would be happy to spar from a chair, but for some reason, they didn't take me up on it.

After that, we all were promoted and kicked.

It was actually easier by far than my brown belt tests, which consisted of me, an uke and a crazy instructor who called pretty much every technique and kata I knew. (Love ya, Darryl!!)

As my instructor says, the real test happens in the school, every time we workout. The 'test' is just for showing off.

--Amy

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Cool thanks Amy.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

As my instructor says, the real test happens in the school, every time we workout. The 'test' is just for showing off.

--Amy
    Good point. I came up that way. Almost half my classes were taught by the Head Instructor so he knew exactly what I could do before he ever tested me. All of my current instruction is directly from my Head Instructor though so he knows equally as well what I can do before he tells me I'm up for a test.

And thanks for posting and I agree that your stuff wasn't "bad." I thought it was pretty good. Congratulations on passing your test.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links