Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long 2

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Long 2

Heaven knows why I'm posting this. My girlfriend Dawn and I have been video taping ourselves, kinda journaling, our workouts. Video really tells you a lot about how well you are executing. So uncomfortable to watch sometimes.

I get a lot of camera/stage fright and it took me a few times to get comfortable in front of the darn camera, soooooo that's why I have the look of frustration on my face. .. in case anyone was wondering.... she's not normally so angry.
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

SUPPORT KENPOTALK:http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/payments.php

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cameypsaromatis For This Useful Post:

Martin Seck (02-15-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: Long 2

Great job, great intensity. Keep up the good work
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

You are too cool for school!

It's interesting to see how different your form is from the ways I've learned it. You look very crisp and have great focus. Post the two-man set too. I'd LOVE to see that!

Terrific.

--Amy
    Last edited by amylong; 02-12-2006 at 03:10 AM.
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Cool,
    I enjoyed veiwing your clip of long 2 and look forward to seeing a few more.
    Cheers

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Nice job, like to see some more.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

OUTSTANDING!

The form looked very good. Now, you have to tell me how you got it to post! I tried to attach a Quick Time file and failed miserabley.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

very cool! It is neat to see the variations of the form with the same base. Thanks for posting it! Plus I got to show my daughter "Look a female black belt honey!" she gets a little tired of our guy infested school me thinks haha
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

Thanks

Some of you mentioned seeing "variations" or "differences" in the way the form was executed. The way she performed it, she could just have easily learned it at one of our schools. What is different about the way you perform it versus the way she did? Just curious as I didn't really see a difference.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Very Nice, Very Nice

Very compact. But that is good with forms.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    Some of you mentioned seeing "variations" or "differences" in the way the form was executed. The way she performed it, she could just have easily learned it at one of our schools. What is different about the way you perform it versus the way she did? Just curious as I didn't really see a difference.
    Here are a couple of things that I see, that are different than the way I have learned. (For some reason, I was only able to download the first half of the 43 seconds of the video).

First sequence of moves ... Block, Chop, Heel Palm, Poke

It seems where I perform a thrusting heel palm, Camey is doing a horizontal circular finger slice.
    At the vertical finger poke part of this sequence, I cock my off hand back at my hip, wher Camey is bringing it across her body to and slapping her arm.

At the Universal Block, Camey seems to direct both of these sequences to the 7:30 & 10:30 lines, where I learned these to 6:00 and 12:00.

Let me see if I can see anything else.

EDIT ...

Ok, I downloaded the file again, and got it all.

I have a couple of more kicks in the form. In the second sequence of moves, (block/punch - punch-punch - kick-punch), the knife edge kick could be more clear. Camey is raising her foot, but it almost seems as if it is for a stomp, rather than a kick.

Also, on the 1:30 - 10:30 lines, we perform an inward sweep kick with the overhead downward punch. Here, Camey is keeping her feet on the ground.

Camey ... Thank you for posting.
    My comments are intended only to point out how I do the form differently, not meant to criticize your form, at all.
    Last edited by michaeledward; 02-12-2006 at 11:59 AM.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Hi Michael. I actually learned it both ways. I teach Five Swords with block, handsword,eye poke/heel palm, vertical spear/uppercut, but in the Long Form2, I have it in my mind setup to catch a right punch followed up by a left punch, which sends me moving circularly and I do a slice instead of the eye poke. Sometimes I practice the other way (including 6 and 12 on the U.B.), but I tend to fall back to how I originally learned it.
    Quote Originally Posted by michaeledward
    Here are a couple of things that I see, that are different than the way I have learned. (For some reason, I was only able to download 43 seconds of the video).

First sequence of moves ... Block, Chop, Heel Palm, Poke

It seems where I perform a thrusting heel palm, Camey is doing a horizontal circular finger slice.
    At the vertical finger poke part of this sequence, I cock my off hand back at my hip, wher Camey is bringing it across her body to and slapping her arm.

At the Universal Block, Camey seems to direct both of these sequences to the 7:30 & 10:30 lines, where I learned these to 6:00 and 12:00.

Let me see if I can see anything else.
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I am completely camera shy, but it's soooo telling about one's execution. Right now I'm without an instructor, so I'm putting myself out there to improve by sharing and listening to all of you.
    -Camey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cameypsaromatis
    Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I am completely camera shy, but it's soooo telling about one's execution. Right now I'm without an instructor, so I'm putting myself out there to improve by sharing and listening to all of you.
    Just keep doing what you're doing. That's about all the advice I have based on what I've seen. Good job!

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Thanks Robert. Looking forward to seeing some clips from you and Katie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    Just keep doing what you're doing. That's about all the advice I have based on what I've seen. Good job!
    You know I have this mindset that if I'm not moving forward, I'm actually going in reverse. There's always something to improve and something to learn.... even if I never learn another form or extension.
    -Camey

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Limited time only Amy. This is a video journal of Dawn and I working on 2man. We used to have it down pat, but it's been a while since we worked it and we keep stopping and starting --- hence journaling.

<attachment removed>
    -Camey

Thanks

It really is a very comlex form, and has drove many people insane over the years.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I really enjoy working it. Dawn and I like to beat the crap out of each other though too and we'll start off slow and then the next thing you know we're hauling toosh trying to block and counter.. block and counter.. block and counter... What a great workout it is though.
    -Camey

Thanks

I really enjoy working it. Dawn and I like to beat the crap out of each other though too and we'll start off slow and then the next thing you know we're hauling toosh trying to block and counter.. block and counter.. block and counter... What a great workout it is though.
    Do you have the video, Vintage Kenpo? There is a great version on that video.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Negative, can you hook me up? Can you post a clip of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    Do you have the video, Vintage Kenpo? There is a great version on that video.
    -Camey

Thanks

Negative, can you hook me up? Can you post a clip of it?
    I have it on VHS, and I am not that technially inclined or have the right equipment to post it here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links