Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training Shoes

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Training Shoes

What type of shoes does everyone prefer to train in? I usually train barefoot in the dojo, but sometimes I train outside and wear shoes. Over the years, I have used wrestling shoes and several types of martial arts shoes. They each have their advantages and disadvantages. What are your opinions? What type of shoes do you use and what do you like/dislike about them?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 909 Posts

Default Re: Training Shoes

When I was younger (sigh) I used to wear wrestling shoes. But now that old age is settin' in (lol) I have to pay more attention to preventing injuries.

In the past I suffered with micro-fractures in my feet (tiny, microscopic breaks in the itty-bitty bones of my feet) due to constant impact (kicks, settling, etc) So now, when not on the mats, I wear shoes designed for running. They have great arch support and are designed to decrease the affects of impact on your feet. So....basically any really good running shoe. =)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Welcome to the board

I prefer the soft soled MA shoe as we train on a concrete floor where many other athletes go barefoot, (University).
    I just got a pair of 'Disciplines' so will give them a try. I was using another brand but they wore out. The only issue I have with MA shoes is the narrow sole, makes it very difficult to kick.

For beginning students, I prefer them not to wear shoes of any kind, as to see their foot 'form' when kicking and doing their stances.

We do change off and on, from wearing street shoes to no shoes. *who's going to go change shoes or flick them off during a real situation*

~Tess

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I tend to go barefoot, Ihave had different shoes, but tear them up pretty badly. As I normally wear boots, I had an instructor that made me train in them for a year....

I will try a pair of disciplines later.
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

I love the feel of Otomix shoes. They are a great shoe for training.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I wore out my last pair of Otomix. They were a good shoe and had arch support while still being designed for pivoting. I am trying some New Balance now, but 95% of the time train barefoot. Camps being the main exception.

-Michael
    “The superior man cultivates a friendly harmony, without being weak.—How firm is he in his energy! He stands erect in the middle without inclining to either side.—How firm is he in his energy!”
    ~Confucius

Kenpo-Texas.com

AKTS.US

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Seig,

Occasionally training in the shoes/boots you normally wear is a great idea, in my opinion. Being a police officer, I occasionally train with my work boots and fully loaded gun belt on. The uniform we wear as police officers seriously restricts our movement and I think wearing the gear when we train is a good training tool because it forces us to choose smarter techniques. Even if you don't wear heavy equipment at work, I think training in different shoes and clothing might make you think twice when you choose your attire. For instance, guys, have you tried quickly snapping out a front kick with a heavy boot on? Ladies, have you tried executing a buckle or a takedown with a tight skirt and heels on? Just something to think about.

Nathan

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTess
    I prefer the soft soled MA shoe as we train on a concrete floor where many other athletes go barefoot. ... The only issue I have with MA shoes is the narrow sole, makes it very difficult to kick.
    I have a pair of Bushido's that I like. Wider sole, moves good on varrying surfaces. Good also for solid rooted footwork.

http://www.sakura-0.com/cgi/sakstore...TopLogin=Login
    Last edited by thedan; 01-03-2006 at 07:03 PM.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I blew out my ACL while grapping with a student. He did a navy ride on my planted left leg and instead on my foot going with it the Adidas ma shoes held tight and my ACL went by by.
    I’m going with these. http://www.rmax.tv/ugs.html

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Those look like exactly what I've been looking for. I think I'll get a pair. Anyone know if they run wide or narrow? Do they stretch?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ndarnell
    What type of shoes does everyone prefer to train in? I usually train barefoot in the dojo, but sometimes I train outside and wear shoes. Over the years, I have used wrestling shoes and several types of martial arts shoes. They each have their advantages and disadvantages. What are your opinions? What type of shoes do you use and what do you like/dislike about them?
    I train bear footed, if I were to wear shoes I would either wear wrestling or Kung-Fu shoes.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I use indoor soccer shoes. The have flat soles with traction sort of like a court shoe. I practice on a wooden floor, no carpet. They seem to work very well.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I would suggest that you train in what ever style shoes you where most often then there is no interferance when you are in a real situation.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTess
    Welcome to the board

I prefer the soft soled MA shoe as we train on a concrete floor where many other athletes go barefoot, (University).
    I just got a pair of 'Disciplines' so will give them a try. I was using another brand but they wore out. The only issue I have with MA shoes is the narrow sole, makes it very difficult to kick.

For beginning students, I prefer them not to wear shoes of any kind, as to see their foot 'form' when kicking and doing their stances.

We do change off and on, from wearing street shoes to no shoes. *who's going to go change shoes or flick them off during a real situation*

~Tess

The discipline shoes I had I wore out in 3 months flat. If you didnt already buy them dont. Really bad experience with them.

Pine Tree or Adidas last twice as long.

Salute,
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

I have a pair of asics split sole. I can't exactly remember the specific style of the shoe but it's the best damn pair of wrestling shoes I've owned to date. Believe me, I've tore though many a pair of wrestling shoes.

Thanks

Another Asics split sole wearer here, the pair I've got now, I've worn for just over two years, and they are just starting to give up the ghost, the question is which sole will give out first because the uppers are just fine. In nine years of training kenpo, I've gone through three pairs of Asics, they are often described as "bomb proof."

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

OH the wonderful shoe's. My disciplines also wore out in 2 months and had really narrow soles. I have tried the Bushido's liked them but all the white pairs i bought wore straight through the big toe to the floor. I have some Shaolin Brand shoes coming in that are supposed to be the true Bushido's like the old converse. It is not recommended to to wear what you would normally wear. Hopefully what you normally wear has some sort of traction and if you are on a rug you will tear your knee's up quicker than any other way. I can't stand shoes but since they are mandatory in my school (my rule) I wear them. For school owners the acids on your feet will wear out your carpet quicker than shoes plus those kids have some nasty feet all year round.
    In Peace
    Jesse
    ps- as ideal as it would be to wear your every day shoe - think of the pivoting. if you dont pivot please tell me your style

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RevIV
    as ideal as it would be to wear your every day shoe - think of the pivoting. if you dont pivot please tell me your style
    If you can't pivot in your everyday shoe, what is going to happen to those who train to pivot in their gym shoe/bare feet?

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

My people have had good luck with the Disciplines. One of my people has been wearing his for almost five years and they are just starting to go.
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside
    If you can't pivot in your everyday shoe, what is going to happen to those who train to pivot in their gym shoe/bare feet?

Lamont
    If the situation arrives that you have to defend yourself while you are wearing ie: sneakers, boots shoes with traction. you will hopefully not do damage to your knee on a good pivot.... But. in training if you are constantly pivoting during basics it will be the repetition that will get you with the traction on the shoes. Be nice to your ligaments that dont like to go back to where they came from
    In Peace
    Jesse

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links