View Poll Results: Are tournaments useful?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Don't Know

1 4.00%
  • Waste of Time

1 4.00%
  • They are fun but have no value

3 12.00%
  • You can learn from tournaments

20 80.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tournaments

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Tournaments

Are tournaments useful, fun or just a waste of time. Please vote and quantify your answer with a post.
    Last edited by Rob Broad; 12-30-2005 at 05:15 PM.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 909 Posts

Default Re: Tournaments

Any activity that increases your knowledge or aids in the learning process is, in my opinion, worth while.

Sport Karate is not that beneficial to self defense in and of itself. But even SGM Parker wrote of the benefits of sparring.

It's just another aspect of the learning process. There is no substitute for actual combat so we use different tools to prepare for it. We use forms, techniques, drills, and even sparring. They each have their strengths in preparing us to deal with an attacker.

IMHO- =)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

I personally love competing, it takes me out of my comfort zone and its a challenge and a lesson win or lose. I must admit I don't like point sparring but not many tournaments have continous, least not around here.

Thanks

I believe tournaments do have a place and can contribute to a person's training. They push you into a whole new area of focus. The additional training can improve your focus and concentration. It is also a great way to rid people of performance anxiety.

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Rob, do attend many tournaments per year ?

Thanks

Last year was my first time competing in 7 years. I competed at the Turtle Island tournament, and at The Nickel Belt Championships in Sudbury. Took trophies home at both events. When I was younger I always competed in every tournament I could get to. Later I took students to one or select tournaments a year where I knew they would be treated fairly. Even when I had no students that wanted to compete I would go to tournaments and offer my services as a referee.

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

I plan on competing as much as I can this coming year, hoping to enter a couple state side as well. Yes in Sarnia is where I met you in Feb.

Thanks

In my experience, those students who compete are generally better than those that do not.

For those who like competition, it drives them to excel, and this results in general improvement of the overall skill level. I don't know if it is simply from more aggresive personalities, but I definately see a correlation.

Forms:
    Forms are about basics, if seriously practice even a single form for competiton, all of your forms will improve.

Sparring:
    Point sparring is all about reading your opponent at range and being able to strike non-telegraphically. Both are nice skills to develop.

Continuous is about staying in the fight, combinations, and aerobic conditioning.

Self-Defense:
    Honestly I don't see much value in this division since is mostly choreography, but it is always fun to "WOW" a crowd and showcase self defense moves.

You can certainly take either to an extreme, bad habits from point sparring are also possible (tippy-tap hitting, etc) but overall I think people get good value out of it.

The other lessons that can be imparted from a well run competition (sportsmanship, behavior, etc) are equally valuable, especially for younger students.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside
    In my experience, those students who compete are generally better than those that do not.

For those who like competition, it drives them to excel, and this results in general improvement of the overall skill level. I don't know if it is simply from more aggresive personalities, but I definately see a correlation.

Forms:
    Forms are about basics, if seriously practice even a single form for competiton, all of your forms will improve.

Sparring:
    Point sparring is all about reading your opponent at range and being able to strike non-telegraphically. Both are nice skills to develop.

Continuous is about staying in the fight, combinations, and aerobic conditioning.

Self-Defense:
    Honestly I don't see much value in this division since is mostly choreography, but it is always fun to "WOW" a crowd and showcase self defense moves.

You can certainly take either to an extreme, bad habits from point sparring are also possible (tippy-tap hitting, etc) but overall I think people get good value out of it.

The other lessons that can be imparted from a well run competition (sportsmanship, behavior, etc) are equally valuable, especially for younger students.

Lamont
    Great points.

I am hoping to host a small tournament up here this year in June. It should be an interesting time, regardless of the turn out.

Thanks

We host the Western Wyoming Championships every year (I think this years is the 26th annual). It is growing to be a fairly decent sized tournament, and this year we are one of the 10 tournaments that act as a qualifier for the TigerClaw Elite Championship. Hopefully we draw in some competitors from outside the WY,UT,CO, MT areas to compete.

Lamont

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

Thanks

I am surprised that everyone so far has been in agreement on this one.

Thanks

How many of our memebrs activeley compete?

Thanks

I haven't competed in many, many moons. =) But, due to student interest, I am about to jump back into it.....I think.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

I wouldn't say the have no value. I havn't competed in well over 10 years; but, they were not very well run then. Judges admitting they scored differently based on dojo. People down ranking to get a trophy. If you need one that bad just go buy one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    How many of our memebrs activeley compete?
    I guess I can say that I'm a regular competitor. Our school hosts an annual tournament and we are part of a local circuit. I participate in our home tournament (of course) and a couple of the other tournaments on the circuit that I know the promoters and want to support. I probably compete 3/4 times per year.

Lamont

~William Drummond

Thanks

Does anyone have any info on the South East (GA, AL, FL, SC, etc) circuit? Is there one?

Thanks! =)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    Are tournaments useful, fun or just a waste of time. Please vote and quantify your answer with a post.
    I think they can be good, but they really don't have anything here anymore. One would have to travel at least 3 hrs to get to one. In a city of this (275,000) all they offer is some MMA, and WTF events.

I can only assume, it's too much work, and no one likes to work for free. Been there, done that.
    " Come with me, and I will complete your trainning."

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

I think Tournaments are worthwhile. Some students work extra hard in order to compete. Also if they have competed in tournaments with their Kata and fighting it becomes much easier at test time to show what you know. Tournaments are not for everone though. A lot of students have a hard time learning enough to get by in class. Also Tournaments also lets you see how your style does against other styles. Also you make a lot of new friends. Can't have too many friends.

I am Most Respectfully,
    Sifroy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

You CAN definitely learn from tournaments.
    You can learn to be a better tournament competitor, and that's it.
    That's as far as it goes.

It's fun and I met GREAT friends
    but that's it.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brother John View Post
    You CAN definitely learn from tournaments.
    You can learn to be a better tournament competitor, and that's it.
    That's as far as it goes.

It's fun and I met GREAT friends
    but that's it.

Your Brother
    John
    I am with John on this one. You can learn how to get better at tournies, he just said it more elequently then I could
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Brother John (04-05-2007)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links