Thread: Vhs

Thanks

Default Vhs

Question for some of you technowizzards- the ones that keep up on trends in the multimedia industry. With everything going digital, it is getting harder to find VHS equipment, including VCRs. Is it even worth buying VHS training tapes any more? How long before VHS goes the way of the 8Track?

Ya gotta love progress!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 909 Posts

Default Re: Vhs

Hasn't it all ready? =)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Ė Charles A. Beard

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

This is a great question. I have tons of tapes and would love to have them all on DVD but but have to way of doinging inexpensively. I still see a lot of tapes being offered in the magazines and online, but just as many DVDs. Great topic!!!
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

i still like my VCR, what i dont like are the size of the VHS tapes.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

You need one of these http://www.axentmicro.com/huzrb/part...SBVIDEOCAP.htm

and a big hard drive.

Thanks

Thanks.But, what is a:

USB
    RCA
    S-Video

and what do I do with it when I get it on my overly large hard drive (which I have yrt to aquire)?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thedan
    Thanks.But, what is a:

USB
    RCA
    S-Video

and what do I do with it when I get it on my overly large hard drive (which I have yrt to aquire)?
    You plug one end of that component into your computer into teh USB port, the other end plugs into teh VCR, press play on teh vcr and record the info onto your hard drive. from there you can burn it onto a DVD.

Thanks

Thanks. I'll see if my son's computer has enough capacity, and I might get one. Beats re-purchasing all my videos.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thedan
    Thanks. I'll see if my son's computer has enough capacity, and I might get one. Beats re-purchasing all my videos.
    Make sure you have DVD burner.

Thanks

Well finally a question that I can put my .2 in, Iím still so new in Kenpo I canít add much to most threads.

Are VCR tapes going to be around for a while, I say yes well at least another five years. They are still selling cheap DVD/VCR combos and even 4 head hi-fi stand alone VCRís. The reason there are still a lot of people that have huge VCR movie collections.

Now if you wanted to record the VCR tapes you have or plan to buy onto DVDís you can buy a DVD recorder with a built in VCR. Keep in mind they will not be up to DVD quality as you are recording from a media that is sub DVD standard. These average $120 or so for a cheap one or up into the 400-900 for a real nice DVD-R VCR, with built in hard drive.

I also wanted to add that DVDís are not much longer for the world themselves. With the new Blue Ray technology just around the corner they will replace the standard DVDís we all use today. Iíll make this short They will have the ability to record in High Definition where as a DVD can not.

You can also go the computer route but that gets a little complicated with the Copy Wright software you need to make it all work. And then having a video card with HDMI, Component, RCA, and then Optical for sound cards it can get expensive if you donít already have what you need.

As for cables here is a short break down.

RCA - Red and White for sound 2 channel and Yellow for video
    This is the most basic connection and has the least quality picture and sound.

S-Video a good step up from RCA for video it breaks the picture signal up into I think 6 or 8 wires.

Component- this connection is about 3 times as good as S-Video and will let you see High Definition, and Progressive Scan on a DVD player.

Then the very best connection they have come up with to date. HDMI This is a digital to digital connection. The signal is not broken down then recreated this is the cable I use from my High Definition Dish Network DVR (Digital Video Recorder) to my High Def TV. I can count the blades of grass on the field watching the Cowboys play. LOL

Thanks

This seems like a pretty device for the price. I am looking at getting one myslef.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links