Thread: Nutrition

Thanks

Default Nutrition

Any Nutrition questions?

Come on bring them on
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

Default Re: Nutrition

No questions than, everybody is as healthy as an Ox?
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 798 Posts

I am the Anti-Nutrition poster boy and know it. But I am certain other members of kenpoTalk could benefit from your experience.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    I am the Anti-Nutrition poster boy and know it. But I am certain other members of kenpoTalk could benefit from your experience.
    ok sounds good to me

Thanks

I am the frst to admit that I live on Coca Cola, and fast foods, especially burgers and pizza. But I do stay active enough not to be 400 lbs.

I do have a question for you though, could you name some good foos containing lots of protiends, little to no sugar, and no fats. My wife had Gastric Bypass Surgery last July and she is pretty sick of eating beans.

Thanks

I am the frst to admit that I live on Coca Cola, and fast foods, especially burgers and pizza. But I do stay active enough not to be 400 lbs.

I do have a question for you though, could you name some good foos containing lots of protiends, little to no sugar, and no fats. My wife had Gastric Bypass Surgery last July and she is pretty sick of eating beans.
    THis is from web sites, I could think of anything off the top of my head, or would be in my books.

The ABC's of Eating RightIn all stages of the gastric bypass diet, the way to eat is just as important as what to eat. Things to remember:
    • The new stomach can only hold 1/2 cup at a time
    • Eat 3 to 6 small meals a day
    • Chew food thoroughly and eat slowly
    • Avoid chewing gum&emdash;it could block the stomach outlet if swallowed
    • Do not overeat
    • Relax and enjoy your new life

Sample MenuBreakfastLunchDinner
    • banana - 1/4 med
    • Scrambled egg - 1
    • toast, white -1/2 slice
    • margarine - 1 tsp
    • broiled chicken breast- 2 oz
    • carrots, boiled - 1/4 cup
    • margarine - 1 tsp
    • pasta salad - 1/4 cup
    • haddock, baked or broiled - 2 oz
    • green beans - 1/4 cup
    • dinner roll - 1/2
    Morning snack
    Afternoon Snack
    Evening snack
    • graham crackers - 2
    • pudding, sugar-free, made with 2% fat milk - 1/2 cup
    • fruit cocktail, waterpacked - 1./2 cup
    • cheese, American - 1 oz
    • saltine crackers - 2
    • mustard - 1 tsp
    *Consume nonfat milk between meals, throughout the day. Drink no more than 2 to 3 ounces at a time, for a daily total of 2 cups.

Obesity Surgery Services
    Gastric Bypass Surgery for Obesity
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times]

What will I be able to eat after the surgery?

Your post-op diet will be closely supervised by hospital dietitians and you will receive ongoing guidance and advice from them on what and how you should be eating to maximize the benefits of your gastric bypass.

You will be discharged from the hospital on a low-sugar, low-fat liquid/puree diet consisting of skim or 1% milk, skim-milk pudding, sugar free gelatin, low-calorie custards, bouillon, consomme, strained vegetable soups and juices, strained whole grain or refined cooked cereals, tea, coffee, and unsweetened carbonated beverages.

When you are ready to tolerate solids, (usually after your first post-op visit) your diet should consist of soft, high-fiber foods that are either starchy or high in protein. Your fat intake should not exceed 30 grams a day. Recommended foods, in addition to those mentioned above, include plain bread, crackers, and rolls; rice and pasta; cooked or dry cereal; cottage cheese; low-fat cheeses; well-cooked vegetables; tender meats; scrambled eggs; fresh or canned unsweetened soft fruits; and dietetic jellies and syrups.

You will also need to take some vitamin supplements, which will be prescribed for you after the surgery. If you are a menstruating woman, you will also need to take iron supplements.

You have the best chance of feeling comfortable and satisfied if you eat six to eight very small meals per day, rather than the customary three large meals. It is very important to chew carefully and completely and to stop as soon as you feel full. Never drink directly after eating solid food, as this will cause vomiting. Instead, wait one-half to one hour after eating to consume liquids. Food should be warm or at room temperature.

Which foods should I avoid?

Soft, calorie-dense foods: ice cream, chocolate, regular cheese, cookies, easily crumbled junk food

High-calorie liquids: alcohol, regular soda

Obstructive foods: tough, fibrous red meat; bread made from refined flour; wide types of noodles; membranes of citrus fruit

If you eat these foods, you will experience a number of problems. The soft, sweet foods will trigger the "dumping syndrome"---nausea, lightheadedness, flushing and diarrhea. Crumbly junk food such as peanut butter, crackers, potato or corn chips, and buttered popcorn will pass quickly through the stomach, preventing the feeling of fullness that puts a curb on caloric intake. Finally, the tough, wide, or fibrous foods may get stuck in the pouch and be unable to move through the bowel.[B]

Thanks

Hope this helps, give me some time and I will be able to give you more info in a few weeks

Thanks

It is actually pretty amazing , she is down to 163 lbs, she was close to 300 at the time of surgery which is pretty heavy for someone five foot two. She losy a lot of weight very quickly, and then plateau'd for a month or so. We have had a few scares, first being she fell shortly afetr her surgery and pulled a couple stitches. The she got the flu, and couldn't eat for a few days and ended up inthe hopspital for 2 weeks with a Potasium deficency. She now has a hernia at her incision, which we are hoping to get taken care of in Jan of Feb.

On the good side she has a whole new outlook on life, more energy and less joint pain. The loss of body mass has let her know how cold it actually is up here. She is just 30 lbs from her target goal. The hardest part for her is eating her 1/2 cup of food over a 30 minute time frame, it is very difficult for her. But we are learning tricks to prolong her meal, we do have more dinner conversation.

Thanks

It is actually pretty amazing , she is down to 163 lbs, she was close to 300 at the time of surgery which is pretty heavy for someone five foot two. She losy a lot of weight very quickly, and then plateau'd for a month or so. We have had a few scares, first being she fell shortly afetr her surgery and pulled a couple stitches. The she got the flu, and couldn't eat for a few days and ended up inthe hopspital for 2 weeks with a Potasium deficency. She now has a hernia at her incision, which we are hoping to get taken care of in Jan of Feb.

On the good side she has a whole new outlook on life, more energy and less joint pain. The loss of body mass has let her know how cold it actually is up here. She is just 30 lbs from her target goal. The hardest part for her is eating her 1/2 cup of food over a 30 minute time frame, it is very difficult for her. But we are learning tricks to prolong her meal, we do have more dinner conversation.
    That is excellent news. I am very proud of her. She must feel alot better than what she did when she was heavy.

The following foods have Potassium, but it is up to you guys to figure out which ones she can eat without getting sick:

All meats, poultry and fish are high in potassium.
    Apricots (fresh more so than canned)
    Avocado
    Banana
    Cantaloupe
    Honeydew
    Kiwi
    Lima beans
    Milk
    Oranges and orange juice
    Potatoes (can be reduced to moderate by soaking peeled, sliced potatoes overnight before cooking)
    Prunes
    Spinach
    Tomatoes
    Vegetable juice
    Winter squash

MODERATE (125 - 225 mg per serving)
    These foods can be a large part of most people's balanced nutrition plan. Persons restricting their potassium might be cautioned to include no more than one or two servings from this list per day, depending on their medical restrictions.
    Apple juice
    Asparagus
    Beets
    Blackberries
    Broccoli
    Carrots
    Cherries
    Corn
    Eggplant
    Grapefruit
    Green peas
    Loose-leaf lettuce
    Mushrooms, fresh
    Onions
    Peach
    Pears
    Pineapple
    Raisins
    Raspberries
    Strawberries
    Summer squash, including zucchini
    Tangerines
    Watermelon

LOW potassium (less than 125 mg per serving)
    These foods give less electrolyte value per serving for people who need to increase their potassium levels.
    They should be a major part of the menu plan for people limiting their intake.
    Apples
    Bell peppers
    Blueberries
    Cabbage
    Cranberries
    Cranberry juice
    Cucumber
    Fruit cocktail
    Grapes
    Green beans
    Iceberg lettuce
    Mandarin oranges, canned
    Mushrooms
    Peaches, canned
    Pineapple, fresh Plums

Thanks

Thanks for the food tips. She went from eating Pasta 60 - 70 % of all her meals, drinking Coke constantly, and adding what-ever sauces she wanted to everything. Mow she eats bean soup, baked beans, gold fish crackers, lots of Tea, she hasn't had any pasta, no sugars, no cola drinks. Last weekend she had a little chicken, mashed potatoes, cole slaw, gravy and all the regualr fixins for a big meal, she felt a little discomfort after the meal because she ate a little too much (My Mom is an amazing cook), but everything she agreed with her. It is the best I have seen her eat since the surgery.

They say it takes a year or so to figure out your diet, and we are not gonna try to rush things. We have been lucky so far no "Dumping Syndrome" the only pains have been from popping a stitch and hernia, and her mood has been pretty upbeat, which is amazing because she would become a real bear if she wentmore than 3 meals with out pasta before the surgery.

Tonight is her first night back at work since she got the flu and ended up in the hospital in October, and it was great to hear her voice onthe radio on the way home from class. I just can't wait til she is healthy enough to come to class again.

Thanks

Thanks for the food tips. She went from eating Pasta 60 - 70 % of all her meals, drinking Coke constantly, and adding what-ever sauces she wanted to everything. Mow she eats bean soup, baked beans, gold fish crackers, lots of Tea, she hasn't had any pasta, no sugars, no cola drinks. Last weekend she had a little chicken, mashed potatoes, cole slaw, gravy and all the regualr fixins for a big meal, she felt a little discomfort after the meal because she ate a little too much (My Mom is an amazing cook), but everything she agreed with her. It is the best I have seen her eat since the surgery.

They say it takes a year or so to figure out your diet, and we are not gonna try to rush things. We have been lucky so far no "Dumping Syndrome" the only pains have been from popping a stitch and hernia, and her mood has been pretty upbeat, which is amazing because she would become a real bear if she wentmore than 3 meals with out pasta before the surgery.

Tonight is her first night back at work since she got the flu and ended up in the hospital in October, and it was great to hear her voice onthe radio on the way home from class. I just can't wait til she is healthy enough to come to class again.
    That is so great. I am sooooo proud of what the two of you have done. Now that she has done this, the two of your lives can only get better. It is good that you guys are not rushing it, but since you knew that eating what she ate did not make her sick you can maybe take the next step slowly in eating other things other than gold fish and beans.

Thanks

Does anyone else have any questions?

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links