Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marriage

Thanks

Default Marriage

How old were you when you got married? How did you two meet? Any stories about it?
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Marriage

Well I was 20......I met my wife in high school, I left for the army and got stationed close to home and managed to be home all the time on weekendw when I was not deployed. We started dating again...ended up engaged and a HARD 10 years and 2 beautiful kids later here I am.

She is pretty good at times about being a "kenpo widow" and has even traveled out of state with me for tournies, seminars, etc. She has also managed to suffer long nights being not home as a law enforcement officer and other tough career things that have come up since the army in law enforcement.
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter
    Well I was 20......I met my wife in high school, I left for the army and got stationed close to home and managed to be home all the time on weekendw when I was not deployed. We started dating again...ended up engaged and a HARD 10 years and 2 beautiful kids later here I am.

She is pretty good at times about being a "kenpo widow" and has even traveled out of state with me for tournies, seminars, etc. She has also managed to suffer long nights being not home as a law enforcement officer and other tough career things that have come up since the army in law enforcement.
    Wow, she sounds like a very special person.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I was in my late twenties (exact age escapes me), just starting to see the light about my personal abusive behavior (drug abuse) and searching for a way out, I knew what I needed to do, get a new social circle and get away from the scene...

I was out on a date with a girl, whom I wasn't that happy with that night, going to a birthday party of a mutual friend. Another friend of the birthday girl happened to be this pretty blonde girl that I hit it off with at the party (she and my date showed up early to help decorate the room and stuff)...so I sat and talked to the pretty blonde girl all night and totally blew off my date. She was a kindergarden teacher, and a good, moral person with high aspirations.

A year later I married the pretty blonde girl.

10 years after that we have two little girl ages 4 and 7, she is a stay at home mom (and a damn good one), I have been drug free for many years (I am not one of those guys that counts every day I have been clean) and we are doin' OK.

Marriage is hard as hell, it takes a lot of work, it's a shame more people don't put that effort into it and are so quick to divorce...it's really sad that it's become the norm. When Mariage gets hard, it sucks, but when it works, there is nothing better.

My wife likes Martial Arts, but not as much as I do...but then, she doesn't have my same addictive personality I do, I think she's just happy when my addictive nature is focused on something good for me...

Anyway, thats my story.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WristTwist
    I was in my late twenties (exact age escapes me), just starting to see the light about my personal abusive behavior (drug abuse) and searching for a way out, I knew what I needed to do, get a new social circle and get away from the scene...

I was out on a date with a girl, whom I wasn't that happy with that night, going to a birthday party of a mutual friend. Another friend of the birthday girl happened to be this pretty blonde girl that I hit it off with at the party (she and my date showed up early to help decorate the room and stuff)...so I sat and talked to the pretty blonde girl all night and totally blew off my date. She was a kindergarden teacher, and a good, moral person with high aspirations.

A year later I married the pretty blonde girl.

10 years after that we have two little girl ages 4 and 7, she is a stay at home mom (and a damn good one), I have been drug free for many years (I am not one of those guys that counts every day I have been clean) and we are doin' OK.

Marriage is hard as hell, it takes a lot of work, it's a shame more people don't put that effort into it and are so quick to divorce...it's really sad that it's become the norm. When Mariage gets hard, it sucks, but when it works, there is nothing better.

My wife likes Martial Arts, but not as much as I do...but then, she doesn't have my same addictive personality I do, I think she's just happy when my addictive nature is focused on something good for me...

Anyway, thats my story.
    Another good story. I just wish my parents will finally say its ok to marry my girlfriend.

Thanks

I met Chantel in 1994 and was her martial arts instructor. I thought she was very nice and absolutely gorgeous. We started dating, and in 2001, we got married. We now have two beautiful daughters, Morgan and Madison.

Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    I met Chantel in 1994 and was her martial arts instructor. I thought she was very nice and absolutely gorgeous. We started dating, and in 2001, we got married. We now have two beautiful daughters, Morgan and Madison.

Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com
    Very nice Very nice

Thanks

I met my wife in college, in a wildlife science class but didn't really get to know her until we were both on a field trip to Yellowstone over spring break. We were both um, "interested" in each over the field trip but were both seeing other people at the time. Three months later we shed our "others" and hooked up over finals week (great destresser but it makes it hard to concentrate on cramming). Almost exactly 5 years later we got married, and have been happily married for about 6 and half years now.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside
    I met my wife in college, in a wildlife science class but didn't really get to know her until we were both on a field trip to Yellowstone over spring break. We were both um, "interested" in each over the field trip but were both seeing other people at the time. Three months later we shed our "others" and hooked up over finals week (great destresser but it makes it hard to concentrate on cramming). Almost exactly 5 years later we got married, and have been happily married for about 6 and half years now.

Lamont
    Excellent, so you did study during finals week just a certain class. LOL. Oy did I say that.

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

I met my wife while working in the same hospital 18 years ago, we got married shortly there after and then two summers ago I asked her to marry me again [thank goodness she said yes] we had a wonderful time with our children and friends there to share the moment.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Southwell
    I met my wife while working in the same hospital 18 years ago, we got married shortly there after and then two summers ago I asked her to marry me again [thank goodness she said yes] we had a wonderful time with our children and friends there to share the moment.
    Excellent

Thanks

Did any of you tell your parents before you were going to ask your wives or husbands to marry you?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    Did any of you tell your parents before you were going to ask your wives or husbands to marry you?
    Nope, it wasn't any of their business. If Alicia said yes, that was good enough for me. Besides I knew I wasn't getting much of a dowry out of this....

Lamont

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

My wife was over 30 and I was around 28 or 29, so I really didn't much care what her parents thought...still don't really...

Thanks

What do people think about mixed religion marriages?

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

I personally think its very important to be on the same path, that way you can help each other in their journey.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Southwell
    I personally think its very important to be on the same path, that way you can help each other in their journey.
    ok

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    What do people think about mixed religion marriages?
    I'm an athiest, my wife is an Christian (Episcopalian), I don't hold it against her too much.

My parents are Jewish and Shinto-Buddhist and have had a very successful marriage.

Lamont

~William Drummond

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside
    I'm an athiest, my wife is an Christian (Episcopalian), I don't hold it against her too much.

My parents are Jewish and Shinto-Buddhist and have had a very successful marriage.

Lamont
    See thats just it I am Jewish and she is Roman Catholic but my parents only want a Jewish wedding and disregard what she wants. What should I do about that?

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

To me that would depend where your loyalties lie...it's a sticky situation.

To me, it would all boil down to what you and your future wife want. It's very difficult to start cutting those strings with the parents, but when marriage comes in to the picture it's time to cut 'em, stand up and be your own man, make the decision you feel is right. Eventually, if you parents love you, which I am sure they do, they will respect you for it. It may be a long time, but they will.

But then, religion makes some people wacky...

it's a tough spot, my prayers are with you, you'll do the right thing for you and your wife, the fact you even started this threads shows the passion you have.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links