Thread: Giving THANKS

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Default Giving THANKS

Just wanted to start a positive thread where we can put forth some gratitude.

I'm thankful in my life for a great many things, most of which begin and end with my family. My wife and two kids mean the world to me, I'm so thankful for their health and wellbeing. I'm thankful for their love and acceptance, their support and their encouragement. My family is the greatest sign to me that God really does love me.

I'm thankful today especially for Kenpo, this art we enjoy and love. It really is powerful and beautiful, mentally involved in it's intricacies... as simple or complex as I may wish on any given day.

I'm thankful for my school. For Brian, whithout whom none of it would be possible. For the students, who give me so much more than they could imagine.

...and I'm thankful for this forum, a place to come and appreciate, debate and discuss Kenpo with knowledgeable people.

thanks

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Giving THANKS

Great thread topic Brother John--hey, didn't some Hawaiian guy say that "gratitude gives latitude to creating a positive attitude?"

Anyway, here's what I'm thankful for:

My two families

My "real"/biological family...even though we've definitely had our ups & downs (as I think all families do), they are supportive of my Kenpo habit, even if they don't completely understand it. I'm grateful for being raised in a good home where I was taught right from wrong by parents & grandparents who cared & would probably be called "strict" by today's standards. If I should ever have a family of my own, I hope that I will do as good a job as they did.

My Kenpo family...I'm so grateful for all of the people I've met & the places I've been because of Kenpo. I've been an extra in a movie, attended the premiere of a film written by a fellow Texan & MAer, "met" more great Kenpoists & martial artists through online forums like this, & attended camps /seminars where I've met & had classes with some of the best Kenpoists around. Everyone in my Kenpo family (instructors, fellow students, guest instructors at seminars, people I've conversed with online, etc.) has been supportive of me in my training over the years & I appreciate it so much because although a lot people try what we do, only those of us who have been in it for a while understand what we go through, not just physically, but the huge investment of time & energy that the Art demands of us. These remarkable people have influenced & continue to influence my love & learning of Kenpo, & I love all of them (past & present) dearly!!

The Art Itself

Words cannot adequately express how much Kenpo has changed my life & if I hadn't tried it 7 yrs ago, I would not have my Kenpo family or have found this great online forum. This wonderful Art has definitely saved my life in more than one way: from the very 1st Kenpo Camp I attended which forced me to quit smoking to the discipline that the training has given me which I so desperately needed. It's an addiction for me, but a much better one than smoking. I know I still love it because I lose track of time when discussing it or while doing forms or techniques. Over the course of my life I've been in some dark places, but the Art & my Kenpo family have helped me confront some demons from the past & as a result, I'm in a much better place than when I started my journey. I honestly don't think I would be here today if it weren't for Kenpo.

And finally, having seen the damage caused by natural disasters this year such as hurricanes (Katrina on TV, Rita by volunteering in a local shelter in Austin), I am thankful that I have the basics of life: food, shelter, a car, a job with health insurance, family who love me, etc. Watching those poor evacuees camped out in a local High School gym, worrying if their house was going to be there when they returned home, not knowing when they were going home, made me realize how much more important people are than things. I don't worry about material things as much as I used to. They can be replaced.

EVERYONE HAVE A SAFE & HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The truly educated never graduate.
    "To understand the heart & mind of a person, look not at what they have already achieved, but what they aspire to do." -Kahlil Gibran

Thanks

Smile Re: Giving THANKS

I am thankful for my wife Chantel, and my two beautiful daughters, Morgan and Madison.

I am very thankful for our health and prosperity, and and am most appreciative of God's grace and mercy.

Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Giving THANKS

I am Thankful for My Children and family and My Friends.
    Who are always there thru the Good times and Bad.
    Yours Truly
    Kenpo0324

Thanks
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 798 Posts

I wish all our American Brothers and Sisters a Happy Thanksgiving.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Giving THANKS

I am thankful for my wife Jennifer....thankful for our daughters Aspen and Alexa.

I am thankful for the ability to draw and create art....

I am thankful for Brother John being a friend, a brother, and playing a huge role in helping me on my kenpo journey.

I am thankful that I live in the United States....

I am thankful I was able to serve in the United States armed forces and for what they gave me in return..

I am thankful for all who have crossed hands with me and played a supportive role in getting myself home safe at night, especially some of you down in texas!
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

Thanks

I am not married yet and I do not have children. So I am thankful for meeting my girlfriend who is soon to be my fiance. I am thankful for my family that has always been there for me through the thick and thin and I am thankful for being able to share the little bit of knowledge that I have about Kenpo with all you.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    meeting my girlfriend who is soon to be my fiance.
    OK buddy........
    Ya can't just drop that'n on a brother and NOT get asked questions...

Tell us details, when ya askin? Are you doing it in a romantic way?? ((DO, I did and it made a HUGE difference)) Have you bought the ring??
    ....cmon man...spill.........

Your Brother (with an inquiring mind)
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brother John
    OK buddy........
    Ya can't just drop that'n on a brother and NOT get asked questions...

Tell us details, when ya askin? Are you doing it in a romantic way?? ((DO, I did and it made a HUGE difference)) Have you bought the ring??
    ....cmon man...spill.........

Your Brother (with an inquiring mind)
    John
    Well.....there is the problem..I am Jewish and she is Roman Catholic hahaha. She talked her parents into it and I am having trouble getting my parents to agree. All they want her to do is to convert before we get married. She wants a catholic wedding and I want a jewish one, we are planing to have both. Once I get my parents permision since I have to get the ring from my grandmother, I am jumping right on that like white on rice. I want to take her to a honeymoon in Paris, she wants it in Disney Land hahaha. I have no clue where we are having the wedding since sheand I are majoring in two different programs. Her in Forensic Pathology and me in Nutrition. We are planning to get married after we graduate but we have have to see where she lands because I know I can get a job pretty much anywhere.

But yea, once I get my parents permision, we are deffinitely going through with it.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    I wish all our American Brothers and Sisters a Happy Thanksgiving.
    ditto from me!

Thanks

Well.....there is the problem..I am Jewish and she is Roman Catholic hahaha. She talked her parents into it and I am having trouble getting my parents to agree. All they want her to do is to convert before we get married. She wants a catholic wedding and I want a jewish one, we are planing to have both.
    Are you a practicing Jew and is she a practicing Roman Catholic? If the two of you ever have children, how important is it that they be brought up in your specific faith background?

In any case, keep us in the loop when you pop the question!

Jamie Seabrook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    Are you a practicing Jew and is she a practicing Roman Catholic? If the two of you ever have children, how important is it that they be brought up in your specific faith background?

In any case, keep us in the loop when you pop the question!

Jamie Seabrook
    We would be raising them Jewish. We are both somewhat practicing our religions. Tests like to take up my holidays.

Thanks

Well.....there is the problem..I am Jewish and she is Roman Catholic hahaha. She talked her parents into it and I am having trouble getting my parents to agree. All they want her to do is to convert before we get married. She wants a catholic wedding and I want a jewish one, we are planing to have both. Once I get my parents permision since I have to get the ring from my grandmother, I am jumping right on that like white on rice. I want to take her to a honeymoon in Paris, she wants it in Disney Land hahaha. I have no clue where we are having the wedding since sheand I are majoring in two different programs. Her in Forensic Pathology and me in Nutrition. We are planning to get married after we graduate but we have have to see where she lands because I know I can get a job pretty much anywhere.

But yea, once I get my parents permision, we are deffinitely going through with it.
    yeah, there's always problems when you bring to different backgrounds together; especially when those different backgrounds are religions. That can be a very tricky juggling act.

That's pretty cool that you're going to use grandma's wedding ring! I'm a sucker for meaningful traditions and family heirlooms (sp?).

A combined Catholic/Jewish wedding....that'd be pretty cool. There's lots of meaninful symbolism in each. There's gotta be some book or some organization that helps give the Priest/Rabbi a clue about how to do such a ceremony...it's not all that uncommon.
    Next question concerning that then.... Church or Temple? OR.....hey......maybe outside, kinda gets around the whole "Church or Temple" situation huh?

Honeymoon. Must be nice! Melissa and I were so poor, we couldn't afford much of ANYTHING. I'm planning on making that up to her in about a year. Planning on a trip to Chicago. In your choices, Disney or France...why not "Euro-Disney"?

Do you know HOW you're going to ask her yet? OR...are you two such an item that it's a foregone conclusion?

Eitherway, good luck on all of it bro.
    I hope you're every bit as lucky and Blessed in your marriage as I have been in mine thus far!!!

Like Jamie said, Please keep us updated!
    ((Does she do Kenpo with you???.........that'd be a dream!!))

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ David Bly

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brother John
    yeah, there's always problems when you bring to different backgrounds together; especially when those different backgrounds are religions. That can be a very tricky juggling act.

That's pretty cool that you're going to use grandma's wedding ring! I'm a sucker for meaningful traditions and family heirlooms (sp?).

A combined Catholic/Jewish wedding....that'd be pretty cool. There's lots of meaninful symbolism in each. There's gotta be some book or some organization that helps give the Priest/Rabbi a clue about how to do such a ceremony...it's not all that uncommon.
    Next question concerning that then.... Church or Temple? OR.....hey......maybe outside, kinda gets around the whole "Church or Temple" situation huh?

Honeymoon. Must be nice! Melissa and I were so poor, we couldn't afford much of ANYTHING. I'm planning on making that up to her in about a year. Planning on a trip to Chicago. In your choices, Disney or France...why not "Euro-Disney"?

Do you know HOW you're going to ask her yet? OR...are you two such an item that it's a foregone conclusion?

Eitherway, good luck on all of it bro.
    I hope you're every bit as lucky and Blessed in your marriage as I have been in mine thus far!!!

Like Jamie said, Please keep us updated!
    ((Does she do Kenpo with you???.........that'd be a dream!!))

Your Brother
    John
    Neither Church or Temple, we were thinking of doing it on a beach. Possibly in Florida.
    Honeymoon: it depends on how poor we are after the wedding. Hopefully I can talk her into Paris if not there is always Hotel Paris in Las Vegas hahaha. I really don't know just yet where we are going, time will tell.
    Asking: Wow this has been crossing my mind for the past year or so. I would like to take her out to a nice dinner and do it then. Or maybe I will just do it while we are watching a movie. Don't know yet, maybe I will just do it in the moment. I will definitely keep everyone up to date.

I hope all is well.

David

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links