Thread: Two Bone Blocking

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Default Two Bone Blocking

I came across this article while surfing. I would like to hear what others think about this, especially our more senior members.

http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=334

Thanks
    Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,427 Posts

Default Re: Two Bone Blocking

Purpose and training dependent. I like to turn the sharp edges of my bones outward in sparring, and against poorly focused blows...add some extra pain to the bum for trying to hit me.

Providing a flat surface for intercepting another, HARDER flat surface is good thinking, but most -- without specifically practicing that -- won't have the skill, timing, or perception to pull it off.

D.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

thedan (06-18-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave in da house View Post
    Purpose and training dependent. I like to turn the sharp edges of my bones outward in sparring, and against poorly focused blows...add some extra pain to the bum for trying to hit me. D.
    Something I've been working a lot with is using 'two way action' when blocking. Say I'm doing a right inward, I will execute my block as usual, but at the moment of contact I will turn my fist slightly so my palm faces me a little. This intensifies the pain to my opponent. I'm not really skilled at this yet but I'm consciously working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave in da house View Post
    Providing a flat surface for intercepting another, HARDER flat surface is good thinking, but most -- without specifically practicing that -- won't have the skill, timing, or perception to pull it off.

D.
    I totally agree this is something you would need to train in order to make it work. Do you believe it is training worth doing? I can see the advantage, especially when dealing with a kick.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,427 Posts

The one time I broke something on a kick, I used a downward knifehand block to hack at a Thai roundhouse. Snapped the bone in my hand like a twig...still tucks under the other fingers when I relax my hand. I wasn't using my tools, and I wasn't thinking. (I was about 14 yrs old at the time...that's my excuse).

The blocks we need are there. Has I blocked it with my leg the way I was trained, instead of trying to be twicksie, it wouldn't have happened. As for training for this type of blocking, meh. Stick with working what you know. The way a boxer covers his head...using the meat of the forearms and upper arms as positioned checks...will more than handle most of what you'll ever bump into that's too meaty for a striking block. Obviously, coming up against a bat or tire iron will require a change in strategy, but no block style or training is going to prep you to stand there and take that shot. Better off rushing it; using the timing to jam the attack, then to see of double bone works better.

Besides, being kenpo, the block should never really be our solution anyway...merely one temporary, quick step on the way to it. If it's an ugly thing swinging at you, that's also why we expand from blocks to include parries, evasive maneuvers, foot maneuvers, and so on. The guy who broke his arm blocking a bo staff either wasn't kenpo, or wasn't thinking and using his tools. Like me, with my pinky hand bone.

D.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

execkenpo (06-18-2007),thedan (06-18-2007)

Thanks

I've seen that article before, and, of course, I tried it. Works good for some aplications, like having your "block" carry a strike past your head. Comes up similar to a boxers guard. Only, unlike Dr. C, I wasn't using it to take the full force of a strike. That is a last ditch thing for me to pick a strike that way.

I disagree with the author that this block has better structure. The arm blocking in the configuration he describes is much easier to move in the direction of aplied force. I do agree I'm less likely to break an arm like this, though.

I don't like to "block", any how. I prefer to "receive". Receiving implies that you do something with the strike, like get out of the way and use the block to control him. But, then, I'm chicken like that ...

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links