Thread: Anyone else here ride?

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Default Anyone else here ride?

Hello all,
    I've asked this before on MT, but I don't believe that I have asked this here...
    Does anyone else here ride motorcycles?
    As you can see from my avatar and my screen name, I ride the absolutely brilliant Honda ST1300...
    Take Care, and if you do ride, Ride Safe, Ride Often...

Thanks

Default Re: Anyone else here ride?

Yep. Soon as I got to where I could stand up again, I went and got a brand new VT750 Aero. Only new bike I've ever owned.

In the past, I've owned (and wrecked) three 74's, four Yamaha dirt bikes and a 125 Suzuki that I terrorized Japan with!

My favorite was also the worst rat. 74 with a '60 lower end, shovel uppers, xmission and other parts off a '75 basket, all crammed into an old Wishbone frame. If you scraped the black paint on the linkages, you'd find John Deer green underneath. The oil gague had an IH logo on it. Eight over Springer front end was a little tweaked from a drunken excursion through Beckly's summer fallow, and years later I can still feel the Cobra seat with less than an inch padding jammed up my ...

Dan (helmet laws suck) C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

Thanks

I used to have a Ninja 600 that I really loved...That was back when I was teaching MA full-time. Best year of my life so far---

I am looking at getting another-
    The above is just my opinion.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,427 Posts

Went to high school on a 175 enduro; J.C. on a Suzuki 250. Bikeless for a spell, then got a V45 Inetrceptor when they were the NKOTB, which I summarily crashed. Followed this with a 650 Nighthawk, which I shortly put over the side of Ortega Highway avoiding a guy coming at me on the wrong side of the road. Spider-webbed the back of my helmet on a stone & woke up much later down the ravine; week later, was first one scene to a Harley versus Caddy accident (this was while helemts were optional)...the rider hit the back of his head to the asphalt so hard, that the instantaneous rise in intracranial pressure shot his eyes clean outta his head.

Around that time, my buddy Richard went down on his Kawi 500, and slid many yards balanced on his helmet...looked like a belt sander ground a round spot flat.

I'm out of the crowded Southern Cali cities now, so my next bike is going to be an obnoxiously large touring bike...Indian, BMW, Harley; maybe one o them GoldWing 2-wheeled Winnebago's. And I'll be gladly wearing a helmet.

D.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

I had a Ninja ZX9R that I sold so I could put more money into my Camaro SS. I did keep my motorcycle endorsement on my license though for when I pick up another in the future. Definitely wear a helmet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave in da house View Post
    ... my next bike is going to be an obnoxiously large touring bike ... maybe one o them GoldWing 2-wheeled Winnebago's.
    2 wheels and a pile of plastic luggage- sounds more like something you'd pull around the airport!

Just kiddin'. Sounds fun.

Except for the helmet. I have a depressed occiput from an accident where I wasn't wearing a helmet. If I had been, I'd probably be dead or paralyzed- hangmans' noose analogy. There's no guarantees. I've had accidents where they did some good, and the worst accident I had the helmet wasn't even scratched. Then there's the time I ended up in the top of the only tree on the Kahuku race course, with my bike! Helmet didn't do any good, but I'm sure glad I had my goggles! Place your bet, spin the wheel, ...

Dan C
    Last edited by thedan; 06-05-2007 at 01:25 PM. Reason: I do wear lethers now,though. Debriding is a good lesson in pain.
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,427 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thedan View Post
    2 wheels and a pile of plastic luggage- sounds more like something you'd pull around the airport!

Just kiddin'. Sounds fun.

Except for the helmet. I have a depressed occiput from an accident where I wasn't wearing a helmet. If I had been, I'd probably be dead or paralyzed- hangmans' noose analogy. There's no guarantees. I've had accidents where they did some good, and the worst accident I had the helmet wasn't even scratched. Then there's the time I ended up in the top of the only tree on the Kahuku race course, with my bike! Helmet didn't do any good, but I'm sure glad I had my goggles! Place your bet, spin the wheel, ...

Dan C
    Ayup. But your crashes at least sound like you were having fun!

D.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

I do believe that the Wing will be our next bike...
    I have to wear the ST out first, however...That will take a long time(hey, it's a Honda afterall)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I ride too.I love my 2005 HD 1200C Sportster.
    I'd still love to have a few more bikes...2003 HD Wide Glide,2004 HD Heritage Softail and a few years back there was a 2001 Indian Scout that just looked sweeeeettt!
    There is a company out of Iowa I think called RedHorse Motorworks and they have a model called the Corsair Sport 250 that looks great too.
    Maybe someday.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave in da house View Post
    Ayup. But your crashes at least sound like you were having fun!
    The ride was fun. The crashes just happened. Funny thing, the actual crash wasn't so bad. Hard to explain, but there was no fear and pain didn't set in until just after. It was just something you dealt with as it happened. But recovery was always a a real joyful event!!! You betcha!

Dan C

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I ride a 2003 Aniversary HD 883 XLH Sportster. I won it in a global contest that the Navy Exchange was having. Pretty cool. I still have the hug oversides check that they gave to me!

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I ride a 2006 Harley Davidson Softail Standard. I love to take the bike out whenever possible.

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

I got my first bike Kawasaki 500 out of a junkyard then got a brand new katana 600 had a lot of fun on that (my friend laid it down...hmmm come to think of it I haven't seen him since) Then the Nighthawk 650 was my only form of transpo for about 8 years. I don't ride anymore the way So Cal is now it's not as much fun as it used to be. The nighthawk and the Katana are still in the garage tho...hmm who knows it is summer.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links