Thread: looking for computer advice lol

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default looking for computer advice lol

Hey guys whats up , i had a question that i was hoping some of you more knowledgeable folks could help out with.

I need a lap-top that is capable of running a small buisness lol and to be honest dont know much when it comes to kig this or GB that, was wondering if i could get some tips from those of you who know...thanx in advance!
    "Mighty power like steel is our Kata and heritage which require a long time of practice and training. It is what men are seeking, just only for their self-respect and self-defense."
    MASTER MEITOKU YAGI

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Eastvale (Corona), CA; training out of Los Angeles
    Thanks

Default Re: looking for computer advice lol

Well I can give you some minimum requirements for a good small business laptop.

Check out Dell... IMO you can't go wrong with a Dell Latitude. Since this is for business, I would stick with an Intel processor such as the Core 2 Duo, 1.8 Gbs or higher. As far as RAM, get at least 1 Gb. If you can afford more, go for it because RAM really helps in performance. Screen size may not matter to you, but if it does then stick to 15 inches or larger, it's easier to see. Try to get at least a 60 Gb hard drive, 80 or 100 if you can afford it.

Other than that, make sure it's wireless capable (most new laptops are), make sure it's got a DVD-RW drive, and make sure the battery will last you a good while (at least 2 hours; they have longer lasting batteries too).

Finally (and you have to really judge this for yourself), depending on what you are willing to put up with, you may want to wait on going with the Windows Vista operating system. For the most part it's a great OS, but I've heard of a number of complaints about its stability, and a lot of people are waiting until the first Service Pack is released for it (later this year) before they switch. If you have a good support system or think you can handle a couple of bugs here and there until the service pack comes, then get it... but otherwise I'd either wait until after the service pack is released, or if you have to get a laptop right now, get one with Windows XP and upgrade later. Ask your salesman about it, he should have more updated info than I do.
    "Your kung fu's no good..."
    *Warrior, Scholar*

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RDCParker For This Useful Post:

unshackled-chi (05-24-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Thank you very much for your time and advice, it means alot and will be taken...thank you !
    "Mighty power like steel is our Kata and heritage which require a long time of practice and training. It is what men are seeking, just only for their self-respect and self-defense."
    MASTER MEITOKU YAGI

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

One of the most important elements to consider when purchasing a laptop is not the individual features, but how well it is backed up with a service plan. Laptops are portable. They can, and do, break down and going without one when you need is ... not good.

Take in to consideration how long you can go without a computers. Do not purchase a computer for business without a service plan that guarantees in writing the time to repair. Remember, without a guarnatee, you may be without your laptop for months. I once had a personal laptop that was repaired at a local service center, the repair took nearly 8 weeks.

1, 2, and 3 business days are common turnarounds. Some service plans requiring fedexing the laptop to a service center, if this is the case, ad a minimum of 1 business day for shipping from you to the center, and a minimum of 1 buisness day for shipping from the center to you. Consider extending the warranty to 3 years (most typically only have a 1 year guarantee.)

Good luck and enjoy.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Carol For This Useful Post:

unshackled-chi (05-25-2007)

Thanks

If you get a Dell, send in the rebate papers the very first day you get the computer. I procrastinated when I sent them in. They slapped a "return to sender" sticker on it and I got it back 1 day before the rebate period expired. They're tricky like that.
    Good computers though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikael151 For This Useful Post:

unshackled-chi (05-25-2007)

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

One very good one would be the Dual core MACBOOK PRO. You can load both PC Windows on it and also MAC system X that is very reliable. With Both MAC and PC on the same computer you have the best of both worlds. Also you will not get any viruses on the MAC system so it is very good for the internet. Do Get an extended care plan!!! That will cost around $250. But about $200. is the minimum charge for getting a laptop reapaired. And it will probably need it sometime in the first 3 years. It is portable and takes a lot of Knocks.

I have operated a MAC forover 10 years without a virus and run no virus protection.

I am Most Respectfully,
    sifuroy

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sifuroy For This Useful Post:

Mikael151 (05-28-2007)

Thanks

I disagree very strongly with the virus aspect. It is definitely possible to get viruses from Mac systems, but there is good antivirus software out there that will protect against that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

I would stay away from the Dell, myself. I have found the screens don't hold up the the abuse as much as other brands. A laptop with a faulty screen is about the most miserable experience you can have. And the screens are often covered under seperate service parameters.

I think my current favorite brand is the Panasonic Toughbook. If it is going to see a lot of travel, I would recommend one of the ruggedized machines. They are built like tanks (you see them in police cars all over town).

My next favorite, and what I have been using for 4 years now, is the IBM - or Lenovo, as they are now known. I don't like the keyboard as much as the Toshiba. The keys are kind of flimsy. But they are pretty rugged, too.

Toshiba has always made laptops that are tough as nails.

Thanks

Huh. I didn't have that experience at all with my Toshiba. It broke within 90 days of me buying it. That's the one that took nearly 8 weeks to fix.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

Carol, you know that a sample size of one is not statistically significant

As a software trainer, I often have many laptops in my possession, and I have to ship them all over the country for training classes. Of course, shipping anything by common carrier opens it up to abuse. And my experience has been that those Toshiba's hold up very nicely.

I have seen some problems with them ... sometimes the screens will lose one color output on a vertical band ... so you end up with a two inch green strip through the desktop.

But, the StarCase shipping cases that I am shipping the computers in have had handles broken off by the shippers; wheels broken off by the shippers; handles damaged by the shippers: Overall just an incredible amount of abuse. But the laptops usually work when they arrive at the training site.

Computers currently in my training kits. (Right now, I have 16 of these model laptops in my home office).
    Toshiba Tecras - these are a bit old now (Pentium 233's and 266's) - in the process of being retired.
    IBM T-20, T-30, T-32 and T-40

All of these have done a pretty good job standing up to the abuses of common carriers.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Eastvale (Corona), CA; training out of Los Angeles
    Thanks

I do agree that IBM-Lenovo are good laptops, as the old saying goes in IT departments, "no one ever got fired from going with IBM". I actually am working on an old IBM Thinkpad that I got in 2002 through college. After 5 years,traveling cross country, upgraded RAM and a switch from Windows 2000 to XP, it's still going strong. But it was expensive as I-don't-know-what.

I still would recommend Dell as a good start. We have four of them at my office and we take them out constantly on software demos, and they all have performed beautifully for the last three years. Plus I was advising along the lines of budget... wasn't sure if the gentleman had a lot to spend (or even wanted to spend alot). If budgets are tight, you can get a good machine from Dell or even HP for a decent price (HP is my own personal favorite), and still have funds to add on a good service plan. If money's not an issue, then go for the gusto! Get that Toughbook or even an Alienware!
    "Your kung fu's no good..."
    *Warrior, Scholar*

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

Carol,

I didn't say you could not get a virus on a MAC. I said I had operated 5 different ones over a ten year period and hadn't gotten one. I think that around 96% of Viruses are written for P.C. It is just unlikely you would get one. and you are right there are some very good Virus protection out there.

I am Most Respectfully,
    Sifuroy

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

I have a small fishing rod business and run it off my HP Pavillion. It's a few years old now but I added a gig of ram and it's going strong.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links