Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: College professor's

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,270
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts

    Default College professor's

    What is with college professor's? I went to my Physiology teacher after my whole ordeal at the beginning of the semester (spinal taps) and first he says "well just bring me the excuse slips from the hospital." Now it is finals week and I have been dealing with a bad back because the doctors some how hit a muscle, which means I am popping advil every day and back to once and a while popping prescription ibprofin. I told him that I was not in class every day because I can barely make it through a real day without taking something and laying down. I never went home because it is my last semester and I really want to graduate.

    Tonight he emailed me and said that I should have applied my self more and that I should have taken the semester more serously and there is no way that he can help me to get a grade other than what I am going to get. How can they be so heartless and so unempithetic? All of my other teachers have helped me out so much.

    I can tell you one thing though. On friday I am calling my doctor and a chiroprator.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

    "Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"


    "Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

    "A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,742
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

    Default Re: College professor's

    I have worked out on the karate mat with others wearing higher rank than I, yet they did not have some of the material I was required to know to earn my lower rank.

    In other instances, I wonder to myself, who awards a black belt in American Kenpo to someone who does not know Form 4?

    I hear stories of people receiving mid-rank black belts, but do not have all of the base techniques in the system. Often the justification offered is the 'time in the system', or 'he's a great fighter', or 'he helps out around the studio'.

    Shouldn't the belt match a level of knowledge?

    Shouldn't we have the same standards for college professors?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    6,026
    Thanks
    1,199
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

    Default Re: College professor's

    I didn't take parker's post as requesting something he had not earned.

    Unfortunately, Colleges and Universities are businesses whose primary concern is to make money...not promote education. IMHO. They can at times come off as "heartless" as a result and some professors aren't willing to be flexible to any degree in assisting a student.

    The professors that DO try and help are indeed the ones that value education. That being said, was this a class that may have allowed you to do some home study or on-line study? Did you request this at the onset when you back problems began? If you have a clear record showing you did all you were physically able to do in attempting to pass the class and the professor simply wasn't accomidating, you may be able to address the issue with your state's Board of Regents. It's a long and drawn out hassle though.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,270
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts

    Default Re: College professor's

    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    I didn't take parker's post as requesting something he had not earned.

    Unfortunately, Colleges and Universities are businesses whose primary concern is to make money...not promote education. IMHO. They can at times come off as "heartless" as a result and some professors aren't willing to be flexible to any degree in assisting a student.

    The professors that DO try and help are indeed the ones that value education. That being said, was this a class that may have allowed you to do some home study or on-line study? Did you request this at the onset when you back problems began? If you have a clear record showing you did all you were physically able to do in attempting to pass the class and the professor simply wasn't accomidating, you may be able to address the issue with your state's Board of Regents. It's a long and drawn out hassle though.
    Nope. It was not offered on line. And I had come to him and told him about the problems. I guess I would have to agree with you CC, this is a college and they are here buisnesses. It's prety sad that teachers are only in it for the money.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

    "Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"


    "Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

    "A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,742
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

    Default Re: College professor's

    Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate View Post
    Nope. It was not offered on line. And I had come to him and told him about the problems. I guess I would have to agree with you CC, this is a college and they are here buisnesses. It's prety sad that teachers are only in it for the money.
    ********! Teachers are NOT in it for the money.

    If there is a minimum requirement that you are unable to meet because of health concerns, a teacher with integrity will not give you the grade because you had health issues.

    If you can't do the work, you don't deserve the grade.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,270
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts

    Default Re: College professor's

    Quote Originally Posted by michaeledward View Post
    ********! Teachers are NOT in it for the money.

    If there is a minimum requirement that you are unable to meet because of health concerns, a teacher with integrity will not give you the grade because you had health issues.

    If you can't do the work, you don't deserve the grade.
    I have done the work. I have met with people, did the problems in the book and talked to the teachers. Its not like I totally gave up.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

    "Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"


    "Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

    "A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

  7. #7
    NickName99's Avatar
    NickName99 is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Wallaceburg, Ontario
    Posts
    510
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked 96 Times in 61 Posts

    Default Re: College professor's

    In Canada, The teachers are paid quite well.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,039
    Thanks
    167
    Thanked 745 Times in 435 Posts

    Default Re: College professor's

    And the professor is probably on a teaching forum saying, "What is with students these days?"

    With the limited information given, and without hearing both sides, what you have here is a case of ineffective or incomplete communication. A syllabus is usually given at the beginning of the year. Often this comes with information on class requirements and how grades are calculated.

    When you communicated your medical condition to your professor, did you two agree on and make a changed syllabus and class requirements? Perhaps replacing a home study project for other class requirements? If not then you had a failure to communicate completely with your teacher, without any follow through to make sure everything was understood correctly by both sides.

    When you say he said, "well just bring me the excuse slips from the hospital." one may take that to mean He will miss a few classes because of procedures at the hospital/clinic. But will be in all the other classes - but you say "I told him that I was not in class every day because I can barely make it through a real day without taking something and laying down" - which means you missed class for more than procedures, worse yet, in his mind you were laying down or sleeping when you should have been in class. I'm not sure, did you have a doctors excuse slip for each day missed while you were popping advil and ibuprofen? It's your job to communicate all changes in your capabilities to your teacher and counselor and make the necessary adjustments. Just because you "really want to graduate" doesn't mean the teacher must adjust their policies to your condition and schedule.

    BTW - the teacher was not in it for the money, he got paid the same whether you dropped the class or not.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,270
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts

    Default Re: College professor's

    Quote Originally Posted by J-squared View Post
    And the professor is probably on a teaching forum saying, "What is with students these days?"

    With the limited information given, and without hearing both sides, what you have here is a case of ineffective or incomplete communication. A syllabus is usually given at the beginning of the year. Often this comes with information on class requirements and how grades are calculated.

    When you communicated your medical condition to your professor, did you two agree on and make a changed syllabus and class requirements? Perhaps replacing a home study project for other class requirements? If not then you had a failure to communicate completely with your teacher, without any follow through to make sure everything was understood correctly by both sides.

    When you say he said, "well just bring me the excuse slips from the hospital." one may take that to mean He will miss a few classes because of procedures at the hospital/clinic. But will be in all the other classes - but you say "I told him that I was not in class every day because I can barely make it through a real day without taking something and laying down" - which means you missed class for more than procedures, worse yet, in his mind you were laying down or sleeping when you should have been in class. I'm not sure, did you have a doctors excuse slip for each day missed while you were popping advil and ibuprofen? It's your job to communicate all changes in your capabilities to your teacher and counselor and make the necessary adjustments. Just because you "really want to graduate" doesn't mean the teacher must adjust their policies to your condition and schedule.

    BTW - the teacher was not in it for the money, he got paid the same whether you dropped the class or not.
    LOL. When I had first talked to him I had told him that I was not going to be there every class and he said that woule be fine and that I would have to make the tests up, of which I am doing on thursday. I communicated with him throughout the whole semster on what was going on and he seemed to be very understanding.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

    "Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"


    "Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

    "A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Real estate in 3 states
    Posts
    2,963
    Thanks
    1,852
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

    Default Re: College professor's

    Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate View Post
    What is with college professor's? I went to my Physiology teacher after my whole ordeal at the beginning of the semester (spinal taps) and first he says "well just bring me the excuse slips from the hospital." Now it is finals week and I have been dealing with a bad back because the doctors some how hit a muscle, which means I am popping advil every day and back to once and a while popping prescription ibprofin. I told him that I was not in class every day because I can barely make it through a real day without taking something and laying down. I never went home because it is my last semester and I really want to graduate.

    Tonight he emailed me and said that I should have applied my self more and that I should have taken the semester more serously and there is no way that he can help me to get a grade other than what I am going to get. How can they be so heartless and so unempithetic? All of my other teachers have helped me out so much.

    I can tell you one thing though. On friday I am calling my doctor and a chiroprator.
    I agree with your professor.

    If you have a medical difficulty you should have dropped the class or ask for an incomplete, so you can make it up when you are well.

    Dr. John M. La Tourrette

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,270
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts

    Default Re: College professor's

    Quote Originally Posted by John M. La Tourrette View Post
    I agree with your professor.

    If you have a medical difficulty you should have dropped the class or ask for an incomplete, so you can make it up when you are well.

    Dr. John M. La Tourrette
    If I had dropped the class I would not graduate for another year. 5 years itself is more than enough.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

    "Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"


    "Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

    "A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    6,026
    Thanks
    1,199
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

    Default Re: College professor's

    I have to side with PK on this. I was in a horrible accident in '97 and had to Withdraw to avoid failing and losing my financial aid. The idiot ass clerk withdrew me from enrollment instead causing me many more problems. I had to go through hell straightening that up and it involved several letters, and a hearing with the Board of Regents.

    I can understand the BS he's going through.

    Again, I don't think he's asking for a handout but only a little empathy for his situation. Though I've never met the guy in person, I've been reading his posts and conversing with him on this forum for a couple of years now and he's never given any indication that he was anything other than a hard-worker that earned his way.

    Special considerations are made for thousands of students every day, some not even deserving of them. I think the least this professor could do would be a little more accomidating. PK didn't ask, nor dare I say want, back problems.

    I've been in and out of college since '95 and I've known some "REAL" teachers, those that hold the education of their students above all else, and known some real egomaniacal turds, those that hold their own self-important-profit-driven-buy-my-book-for-the-course-or-fail butt whipes and this guy sounds like the latter.

    My 0.02
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

    parkerkarate (05-06-2007)

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,039
    Thanks
    167
    Thanked 745 Times in 435 Posts

    Default Re: College professor's

    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    I've been in and out of college since '95 and I've known some "REAL" teachers, those that hold the education of their students above all else, and known some real egomaniacal turds, those that hold their own self-important-profit-driven-buy-my-book-for-the-course-or-fail butt whipes and this guy sounds like the latter.

    My 0.02
    I'm not sure how you can say that. By PK's own admission in thread #9 the professor is letting him take make up tests after the fact. That never happened when I was in college. To get that kind of special treatment, you'd have to go to the department heads, and likely the dean, and even then you have to provide full documentation.

    I still think there wasn't adequate communication on the new expectations, probably on both sides.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Martial Art College courses
    By RaGeFiSt in forum General Martial Arts
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-10-2007, 03:34 PM
  2. College graduates
    By parkerkarate in forum Humor
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-26-2006, 04:09 AM