Thread: Don't be a victim during the Holiday

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Don't be a victim during the Holiday

Another friendly public service announcement from yours truely.

The holidays are a time when families and friends come together to celebrate the season. People are generous and practice the tradition of gift giving. For most, it is a happy and joyous time of year.
    There is a flip side to the holiday season, home burglars view this time of year as an opportunity. They know that people tend to have more cash on hand and have new gifts such as small electronics, computers, jewelry, and easily sold valuables.
    Residential burglars usually work during the day when most people are at work and school. They tend to probe a neighborhood looking for the optimum residence(s) and opportunity(ies).
    There are several things home burglars look for when shopping for a house to prey upon during the holiday season

· A home with easy entry and a good escape route is an ideal target. Putting decorations in front of a main window advertises where gifts are or may be.
    · Occupancy cues. Outdoor lights left on 24 hours a day, piled up newspapers, and mail in the mailbox are all cues that the house is unoccupied. Use a timer on lights inside and outside the house. Set them to have lights turn on and off when you would normally be home. Have a neighbor collect your mail and newspapers. Don’t advertise that you are away.
    · Burglars know to look for spare keys hidden near an entrance. Never hide keys under a rock, on a ledge, or in a flower pot. Instead, give a spare key to a trusted neighbor.
    · Make sure to lock your doors and windows. Even if you are home.
    · You should not post your name on your mailbox or property. A burglar can call directory assistance and then your number while in front of your house to confirm if you are home or not.
    · You should never have a descriptive message on your answering machine. Keep your message simple and check voice mail remotely (if possible).
    · If you will be receiving deliveries, request a delivery signature or have packages sent to your place of business.
    · Try not to discuss travel plans in public areas such as the grocery store or coffe shop. You never know who is listening.
    · Be wary of delivery or repair people stopping at the “wrong house.” This could be a burglar checking out your home.
    · After shopping, make sure to remove all items from your vehicle. Inside, do not leave items out in the open. Putting gifts in closets and under beds not only helps “hide” them until the time they are given but also assists in making your home less appealing to a burglar.
    · Do not pile up empty boxes from your new computer, DVD player, TV, stereo equipment, etc. on the street for the garbage pickup. That is advertising to a burglar what is available in your home. Instead, break boxes apart and cut them up so they fit in regular trash bags. Another thing to keep mind, after a lucrative burglary, the chances of being burglarized again are increased as the burglar knows there will be new, replacement items in the home.
    · Neighbors need to work together. If there are suspicious people in the neighborhood, pass the word along and inform the police. Join a neighborhood watch. Burglars will avoid confrontations.
    · Remember the basics of home security. Use solid core doors, heavy locks, longer screws in the lock strike plates and door hinges, and install secondary security devices on all accessible sliding windows and doors.

Following these steps will take you a long way in preventing your home from becoming the target of a burglar, at any time of year.

"It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Default Re: Don't be a victim during the Holiday

All very good info, I probably go a little overboard with a bat near the front door but you can never be too careful. Also getting to know your neighbors and working together goes a long way in helping to prevent crime on a street. I have all my neighbors cell phone numbers on my icebox and have called them more than once when some strange person pulled up and wanted in their house. Person said it was their son, I had never seen him so I called to make sure all was on the up and up. Turned out this time he was who he said so I gave him a key to their house. (Yes I have keys and garage door openers to a few of my neighbor’s houses) We are all pretty tight on my street. Everyone looks out for all the kids that play all up and down our road. We have a running joke about my daughters and a few of the other young ladies on my road. None of the boys stand a chance on our street two many rednecks with assault weapons
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hemi View Post
    We have a running joke about my daughters and a few of the other young ladies on my road. None of the boys stand a chance on our street two many rednecks with assault weapons
    WOW! This must be a Texas thing as we have the same understanding in our neighborhood. Between 3 of my buddies and myself we have 6 daughters all pretty close to the same age. We are ramping up for the assualt in a few years.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Kenpo View Post
    WOW! This must be a Texas thing as we have the same understanding in our neighborhood. Between 3 of my buddies and myself we have 6 daughters all pretty close to the same age. We are ramping up for the assualt in a few years.
    Naw, happens in Arizona, too. Can't be too careful!
    There is nothing so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.
    Unquestionably man has his will - but woman has her way! - Bruce Lee

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links